What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre Buy Inspection

EXflyer

Just posted on the RV12 site my problems with an RV3 I bought on the word of a person who was a qualified nuke inspector among other talents and an aircraft owner. It only cost me 3K and a two day trip to pick it up in FT Collins CO. And on the way back at a rest area some fellow walked up who knew about the RV3 shook his head and told me all about who why and how it became a pile of scrap metal that resembled an airplane.
Go in person to look, find a person who knows sheet metal not always another builder that might. There are many very qualified A&P mechanics who rebuild aircraft to choose from. Its worth the money to do so. Boyd in Chiloquin OR.

Pre Buy

And that's the very short version, a little more, emp was installed, left it on and at home put the gear legs on sat it outside. One day was gazing at it sitting in the back yard no wings on it. Looked at the horizontal stab leading edge from inboard to out board there was a twist down on one side up on the other. Oh hey was kind of nit picking I guess as it was only about an inch. At that point any hope of fixing or using parts on the RV3 I was trying to build went to zero. Who knows what else was wrong in the wings never looked sold both projects. Gave up on building my own. Rumor had it that an officer or some sort of higher up was building it at an air force base around Denver. Seems he had some airmen helping him do it at times.

Last edited:
Back