What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage incidence

Tall_Order

Patron
Building away on the -8A fuselage and notice that on the drawing side view, the "line" for the nosewheel is lower than the mains, making me think the fuselage is intended to not be level, but pointing upwards somewhat on the ground...

Just curious if this is common with other "A" models and what the reason might be- prop clearance, handling characteristics, etc.? Would this incidence make the airplane more robust in some way?

Building away on the -8A fuselage and notice that on the drawing side view, the "line" for the nosewheel is lower than the mains, making me think the fuselage is intended to not be level, but pointing upwards somewhat on the ground...
Just curious if this is common with other "A" models and what the reason might be- prop clearance, handling characteristics, etc.? Would this incidence make the airplane more robust in some way?

Primarily, prop/ground clearance.

If you actually checked it, you would probably find this to be the case with just about every tri gear airplane you have ever flown though the amount varies from one to another.

The designer does it on purpose and it does have an influence on handling characteristics. Take-offs in particular.

Last edited:
Back