What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 rear wing spar bolt

Taltruda

Well Known Member
Friend
I’m doing a condition inspection on a RV-9a, and the rear spar bolts are metal lock nuts, not castellated cottered nuts and bolts. Is this normal for the -9? Or is the -9 wing rear spar bolts just like the other RVs? Can anybody post a pic of the DWG showing this detail? Thanks!

Rear spar attach bolt

Tom, the plans call for a an5-10 bolt,3 an960-516 washers ,an310-5 nut and a ms24665-208 cotter pin.Castellated nut,not a all metal lock nut.

Unless they changed accepted fastener types somewhere along the way, it should be castellated with a cotter pin. See top right corner of Drawing 38, 2009 vintage.

Attachments

• Drawing 38.pdf
    379.8 KB · Views: 247
It should be a castellated nut. This bolt is subject to rotation, even though it is very minimal.

Tom, the plans call for a an5-10 bolt,3 an960-516 washers ,an310-5 nut and a ms24665-208 cotter pin. Castellated nut, not a all metal lock nut.

Probably a silly question but as I'm at that stage in my build now I thought good time to ask it. Why three washers? Where do the washers go in the bolt, spar, bracket, castellated nut sequence? I would have expected a washer to go under the castellated nut, but three washers has me puzzled.

Thanks in advance

Nige

Last edited:
Thanks all for the response! I was pretty sure the rear spar bolt was supposed to be castellated with a cotter key, but just wanted to check if the -9 was different. This builder did such a beautiful job, I was doubting that he deviated off plans, but I guess he slipped on this! Plane has been flying since 2001, it’s nice to catch little things like this and make it right.

Back