What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Compatabilty

Vac

Well Known Member
Benefactor
The stick monkey managed to damage the right aileron on his RV-4 whilst pulling it into the hangar. As we said in the military—no excuse.

I need to fabricate a replacement as quickly as possible as this is our primary flight test airplane for our AOA project. I seem to recall that the -4 and -6 ailerons are identical; as are the -7 and -8. My question is whether an -7 or -8 aileron will fit on a four. The pre punched components will save some time. Last time I built an aileron was 1997; and I presume there have been some advances since then.

I appreciate any insight before putting a parts list together.

Thanks,

Vac

Bill,

Looking like that may be the plan. Going to pull it and derivet from the spar and go from there.

To answer your question, not too bad; however I fly the airplane to limits (occasionally past ‘em); so it’s not something I’m comfortable flying with.

Thanks for the post!

Vac

Gottcha there!

I had a ding in my rudder T/E and ended up with airframe vibration at high speed..No Bueno. The re-skin is pretty straightforward and should be a day job at worst. Can probably re-use the stiffeners.

Not sure about the -7 or -8, but I'm pretty sure that RV-4 ailerons are longer than the RV-6.

RV-8 Ailerons bolt right up. I literally just installed some on my -4 3 weeks ago. You are welcome to my old -4 Ailerons, just need to get them to you.

Back