What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Location for air oil separator return line on engine

jgbmo

I have an IO-360-A1A in my RV-7, and I'm getting a fair amount of oil on the belly of my airplane. This is especially true if I have more than six quarts of oil in the sump. I'm wanting to install an air oil separator, but am not sure where to connect a return oil line. I've seen where you can weld a bung onto a rocker cover, and connect there, or drill a hole in the dipstick tube and add a self-sealing clamp. Before I do either of those (or pull off the baffling to add a T to one of the cylinder oil return lines), I was wondering if there are any removable plugs on the accessory case of crankcase where I could install a pipe fitting. Suggestions are appreciated!

What Mahlon posted. 3/8-18 NPT.

Attachments

• Drain Location.jpg
    Drain Location.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 45
Oil return line

Hi John, I just finished installing mine in the accessory case as mentioned above.

My plug was an internal wrenching plug that I promptly stripped while trying to remove it.

Ensure you clean out any paint and make sure the Allen wrench is well seated when you try to remove it.

I was very lucky and was able to remove mine with vice grips.

Terry

The half raven kit comes with a standpipe return fitting that goes into an unused drain in the oil pan.

I was worried about striping the plug.
The prop governor access cover is easy to put in a NPI thread with a tap.
(I have fixed pitch prop)

I think the guy from Anti splat suggested it. Worked well for me.

Back