What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground Breaking, shop build starts

We use a lot of Mini-split heat pumps but they have their application. Computer rooms, back porches, home offices and areas where adding ductwork is a problem.
Many issues with the cheaper versions. Sorry Gil.
Mel has it right that too large sucks and won't remove humidity. Again regional. Gil could care less about humidity.

The "cheap" choice of a Gree unit was based on a friend's observation that almost all of the units he saw in China were Gree units - in a land where the mini-splits are the standard.

As a DIY person (like most homebuilt plane assemblers) it sometimes gets more cost effective to simply replace cheaper units after a few years than call in expensive HVAC mechanics. ;)

Tucson does get humid conditions during the present monsoon season of July and August, that's why the RE folks call it a "lush desert". The pool of water from the house AC condensate drain shows that...:)

Well you shouldn't have got me started.
Region and climate make all the difference in the world.

Yes it sure does. I only recommended natural gas for heat (over electricity) if it's available. LP is way more expensive. If you compare the annual operation cost of a natural gas fired heating device and an electrically powered one, gas is significantly less money.

As a Service and Repair contractor, we mostly see appliances when they break. Almost all of them work well when they are new, but we find certain brands and types seem to fail earlier. In addition, incorrect installation can cause problems that make even good equipment look bad.

You do have a nice looking shop there Scott!

regards

~Marc

First, it is nowhere near a "shop" yet. There is another 6mo of work for Tanya and I after the framers are done before we start moving machine equipment in. (electrical, hvac, "plumbing", drywall, ...)

Ok, see, we're almost all on the same page. No HVAC pissing matches here. This is all about the best way to be comfortable building an RV. Heck, Douggie not long ago was talking about his little window unit over his RV3 "work bench"... It is a big contentious topic "on the internet" and of super importance to us on this project.

I'm exhausted from another day of "supervision" watching a couple of guys putting up Hardie. They only have to demo an hour worth of work tomorrow. I'm sure they are cussing me at every turn, but I am super nice and always send them home with 5-10# of veggies from the garden that they are working next to.

TC reports that she is setting up to start the cookie baking machine, right after she does one more "test flight", out the back jack. "See ya' later!" The guy ultimately responsible for FWF says, "No, we're good, no need." She is all about belt and suspenders :). I'm happy to turn on APRS TV.

Last edited:
Very nice Scott! I'm jealous at the space.

I insulated the heck out of mine...and I can easily retain 10-15 degrees less than outside in mid day. Now if I could just enjoy that for more time...

Looks great.

Scott
Very nice shop build. I'm thinking of building a very similar size and style of shop. If you don't mind me asking? What cost do you think you have in the building when it's done? Trying to decide if I can afford a similar build quality.
Thanks
Rob

Ok, I got enough comments on this thread at OSH that we'll keep it going. We have some real experts among us. Some of those shop conversations went well into the night at OSH. I appreciate everybody's comments. It is a learning process for us, very much like building an airplane.

We delayed our run to OSH by a day because the framers were supposed to be working all day on Saturday. Guess what, they didn't even show at all! *#!*@!! We had a conversation with the contractor before we left and he was sure they would be ready for punch items when we got back. We returned yesterday and they had put up a little more siding and the entry door. Nothing to write home about and certainly not "almost done".

Sorry, I don't even have a picture for you. Very little has changed. However, we do have a concrete HVAC plan that I understand and agree with. That is a huge step and clears a whole bunch of uncertainty on our part. I got a great education at OSH that I'm going to be doing my homework on this week. Thanks Mark!

Scott
Very nice shop build. I'm thinking of building a very similar size and style of shop. If you don't mind me asking? What cost do you think you have in the building when it's done? Trying to decide if I can afford a similar build quality.
Thanks
Rob

Rob, surprisingly enough, there is no budget and we have but a very faint idea what we think it will end up costing. We're approaching this as our version of a fine custom home, otherwise it would end up like a shack given our lack of experience. If I told you what we think that number is, I'd have to kill you, or sooner yet, myself :). This is the wrong time to build anything in central Texas. However, the framing labor, everything that has been done so far, seems really cheap to me at around $7k.

Last edited:
Framing "done"

Yesterday we had the full crew working on the shop and they finally finished. See the guy that is out of place in the first picture. That is the framing contractor. He wanted to get paid. Not so fast. I need a day to work up any punch list items. Actually, I've been watching so close that there may not even be a punch list.

Next steps are:
- Tanya is talking to a painter (or at least attempting to) that gave an attractive quote for paint labor. If that comes to fruition, we'll have it painted. Otherwise, we're going to paint it ourselves. We would prefer to have paint done before roof and rock.
- The overhead door is scheduled for install this Friday.
- The roofer is ready to go as soon as we say so.
- I don't know what the status of our rock guy is. I'd have to consult the GC on that one. Hopefully we still have a rock guy.
- Hose bibs and other "non-plumbing". Hmm, does the plumber stub in the hose bibs through the rock before or after rock? I'm guessing before.
- I have marked most of the receptacle and switch locations inside. It is time for me to start setting boxes, punching holes, and running wire. I set the load center last Saturday.
- When the overhead door goes up, I'll install the lock set on the entry door. It is coded so no key is required. I've promised unfettered access to all our friends. "Don't ask, don't bother me, just go use the space and tools as if it was your own. If you leave with a tool, there will be a sign-out sheet at the front door."
- We need to clean up all the construction debris.
- The rock guy will do "under pinning" to pretty up the sides of the foundation. Then we can continue our back filling. I see more tractor time in my future.

IMG_2012_res.png

This is our framing crew. They're all brothers.
IMG_2015_res.png

IMG_2016_res.png

I'm sure it will look very different once we get it painted. This is just primer.
IMG_2017_res.png

IMG_2018_res.png

IMG_2019_res.png

IMG_2020_res.png

IMG_2021_res.png

This is what it looks like from the house.
IMG_2022_res.png

And what it looks like from the front yard.
IMG_2023_res.png

Last edited:
Will there be a rain gutter on the shop roof above the porch roof, or will you just let it dump on the porch roof? That is going to be great!

Will there be a rain gutter on the shop roof above the porch roof, or will you just let it dump on the porch roof? That is going to be great!

Yes, there will be a rain gutter above the porch and on the porch roof. The plan is to do rainwater collection to feed a couple of hose bibs and water my vegetable garden.

I sent the framers home with about 10# of peppers, squash and okra the other day :).

Scott,

I know you're in the Austin area...As a former Lakeway resident (therefore, under the purview of the LCRA for septic matters) be very careful (if you are in their permitted area) about adding add'l "plumbing" later, and then getting caught up on it in a resale.

They inspect every system in their area before you go to close.

I'll not bore with the long story, but getting my 1989 house past the LCRA inspection during our sale after we had added a fully permitted upstairs to our house was a very dicey proposition, and nearly derailed our sale.

You can't readily add capacity to an existing septic, and AFAIK the rules are written, you have limited options (low flow toilets, etc) to mitigate if you add on, so if we hadn't been able to convert the toilets, about our only other option would have been to install a new septic, under today's stringent codes.

That would have meant ditching our perfectly working gravity system for a high $$$ pressure dose type.

If you're in an area just permitted by the county (Williamson or Travis) and not LCRA, I would assume you can disregard and build on!

Rob S.

Scott,

I know you're in the Austin area...As a former Lakeway resident (therefore, under the purview of the LCRA for septic matters) be very careful (if you are in their permitted area) about adding add'l "plumbing" later, and then getting caught up on it in a resale.

They inspect every system in their area before you go to close.

I'll not bore with the long story, but getting my 1989 house past the LCRA inspection during our sale after we had added a fully permitted upstairs to our house was a very dicey proposition, and nearly derailed our sale.

You can't readily add capacity to an existing septic, and AFAIK the rules are written, you have limited options (low flow toilets, etc) to mitigate if you add on, so if we hadn't been able to convert the toilets, about our only other option would have been to install a new septic, under today's stringent codes.

That would have meant ditching our perfectly working gravity system for a high $$$ pressure dose type.

If you're in an area just permitted by the county (Williamson or Travis) and not LCRA, I would assume you can disregard and build on!

Rob S.

Yep, you understand the issues. Lakeway is obviously all about regulation. We are Williamson county only. We had multiple conversations with county engineers. There is no plumbing here. We didn't even think twice about attempting to tie into existing septic. No can do. Our plan is a big bucket that collects rain and has a valve to water the garden. That's it. We're building on!

Last edited:
plumbing

Composting toilets are a good option and have really come a long way with the electric ones.
Bob

Looking good Scott! Looks like your GC is crackin that whip. And she makes cookies! :D

Looking good. Gonna look nice with the rock. I love that hill country look.

Nice Work T & S

I could only assume GC means Tonya.:rolleyes:
Ah Yes, do it youself projects...Going to start on back deck renovation this Fall when it's cooler. New Pergola ( Steel/powdercoated)from HD or Lowes. Great looking workshop you two. See you next year in HBC:):)

new toys

The overhead door was indeed installed on Friday. It has a special seal between the panels that looks quite efficient. It has a huge torsion spring to lift the 10' tall door. You can almost ride it up a few feet.

IMG_2031_res.png

You know those 12' tall walls and ceiling? That is way up there, because I'm afraid of heights! Go figure :). Climbing that 10' ladder up and down gets old real fast for all the stuff that needs to be done up high. So, I had been threatening even before we got started and now I have made good on that threat.

We saddled up the "Tanya Truck" (she drives a Toyota Tundra) with the trailer this morning at 8am and headed north to NW of Fort Worth. There we picked up a 12' vertical mast lift with 300 hrs on it. It has some "character". That was an 8hr round trip, then it was time to figure out how to offload something with a 2" ground clearance. Out came the tractor. I dug where the trailer wheels would go in front of the shop floor, and built a "hump" where the truck tires would go. BAM!! A little bit of cribbing for safety and we basically rolled that sucker right off onto the shop floor. Ahh, yes, we have cribbing. The trimmings from each and every 2x6 wall stud left about 10". NO, that isn't trash, we're going to stack all of those blocks up right over here...

Funny story about cribbing. Years ago when I brought home the Bridgeport vertical knee mill, it was nothing but cribbing that was going to allow us to lower it off of the trailer in the garage down to the floor. At that time, I just so happened to be in possession of fellow RV builder, David Nelson's beautifully built control surface bending brake made out of 2x12s. Yeah, it got chopped into 10" pieces. "Sorry dude, it is no more. I'll make you a new one if you want me to." (His project was long since done.)

Sunday morning, I'll dive into it and figure out how to disable the incredibly annoying beeping every time it moves. Some day when the shop is done and we're done with the machine, we'll sell it. I suspect we'll put only a few hours on it and get most of our cost back out. Never pass up an opportunity to have the right tool available.

Exterior painters are confirmed to start on Thursday. We're in the throws of trying to pick paint colors. It is going to be some shade of GREEN! We have 12 test panels that we're looking at. At least we tried. Once again, what could go wrong :).

IMG_2033_res.png

IMG_2041_res.png

Last edited:
We built our 40' x 24' shop in our garden 5 years ago. 2 storeys, our Doris has a studio upstairs for her painting, we have a man cave below for aeroplane building.

First thing - where is the beer fridge ?

Then the toilet.

Then the sink.

Then the benching, metal bench, lathe and power area, hot working area, TIG bench etc etc.

Oh and a full transition to paintshop with extraction within 30 minutes.

Man Up Scard !!!!

:D

p.s. - pm or email for photos.... still can't figure posting snaps :rolleyes:

Sometimes "construction" is frustratingly slow, but we're still working on it and I finally have something to show.

We've been pulling wire for at least three weeks. Lots and lots of wire. After pulling the first branch circuit without, I knew I needed to pause and make up a wire spinner. It is a life saver and was used for every pull thereafter.
IMG_2064_res.png

Ooh, and then we got rock. Maybe something will happen.
IMG_2069_res.png

This is when you know you have just the right amount of power while boring the double top plates for wire.
IMG_2074_res.png

Oh, we did get paint! We're happy with it. We sat in this state for weeks with no rock and no roof.
IMG_2080 2_res.png

Tanya had a friend that wanted to come help do something one evening. I call her "crazy Martie". She got a checkout on "the buggy". I just walked away and let them do their thing. They pulled wire and roughed in boxes for three hours that evening. All of their work passed inspection the following day. I was amazed at the amount of work they got done, and apparently they had a really good time.
IMG_2081 2_res.png

Yippee! My 3-phase sub panel and disconnect equipment arrived.
IMG_2106_res.png

The mason's finally got started, but oh, my poor porch.
IMG_2116_res.png

Butt shot! We had a silly amount of rock left over. Tanya moved all of it by herself in a few hours. I can't remember what other "important" work I was doing. She actually likes the jobs that don't require any thought. "Just let me at it and I'll get it done."
IMG_2129_res.png

IMG_2132_res.png

IMG_2133_res.png

...and then we finally got a roof!!! "We're going to start Tuesday." ... three weeks go by and we can hardly get the roofer to return our calls. We think it looks great.
IMG_2154_res.png

The inside of the porch came out just as I imagined. We've been busy hanging exterior lights and other details.
IMG_2155_res.png

Yeah baby. The exterior is finally complete. I started working on final grade and spread out the huge piles of dirt. We no longer look like a construction site! The porta-jon will go away this week.
IMG_2158_res.png

Up the ladder she goes again. It took her over three hours to hang and wire that light. Why, I have no idea. I lost count of how many "templates" she made. But she got it done.
IMG_2168_res.png

The battle with this hole finally got her at the end of the day yesterday. She is out there as I write this continuing that work.
IMG_2169_res.png

Wiring rough-in is complete. We have the service entry wire staged and ready to pull. We might do that this weekend. The main panel is ready to be made up. We have a complete hvac plan and I think a contractor. Wall insulation goes up this Tuesday, then we'll schedule sheet rock...

This is like the finish line on a build, so exciting to see a project come together, Looks Great!

And then there are times when things move right along.

Last weekend we pulled the big service entry wire. That was an adventure. Actually it wasn't nearly as hard as I imagined. It is two 4/0, one 2/0 and an equipment ground. We made up a pull head and lubed it up real good. Everybody into the 2.5" conduit with one team pushing and another pulling. In about 30min we had it pulled the 100' from the pole to the shop.
IMG_2176_res.png

Then, this week we miraculously got wall insulation and soffit baffles. Two dudes and about 3hrs one evening. Oh boy, oh boy, it is getting exciting! That panel on the far wall is where my 3-phase equipment is going to mount.
IMG_2182_res.png

IMG_2183_res.png

Also this week I finished making up the sub panel. Let's see, how to eat an elephant? All you grounds, over here. All you neutrals over here...
IMG_2185_res.png

But wait, there's more. Ta da! Sheetrock! Four guys and barely four hours. Wow, that was worth paying someone else to do. That would have taken Tanya and I weeks. They'll be back to tape and float tomorrow. Then Tanya and I are setting up to spray paint. The space feels a little bigger with sheetrock.
IMG_2198_res.png

Scott,

What happened to the Cutler-Hammer three phase panel?

Looks like you went single phase now?

No three phase power available down the street?

Usually that is the case.

:cool: CJ

Scott,

What happened to the Cutler-Hammer three phase panel?

Looks like you went single phase now?

No three phase power available down the street?

Usually that is the case.

:cool: CJ

CJ,
This is basic single phase 200A service entry for the building. From here I take 50A across to the opposite wall to a rotary phase converter to make the "manufactured" third leg with three phase out to the CH 3-phase panel. All of the 3-phase service equipment will be surface mount, so I haven't set it yet until drywall and paint is done. Boy, that drywall crew is like a bull in the china shop!

Ahhhh, I see...

To be accurate, you don't have three phase service equipment. It is just a branch circuit from your single phase panel.

Very cool! What three phase loads do you have? I looked back in this thread but couldn't find any clues.

Nice job!

;) CJ

Ahhhh, I see...

To be accurate, you don't have three phase service equipment. It is just a branch circuit from your single phase panel.

Very cool! What three phase loads do you have? I looked back in this thread but couldn't find any clues.

Nice job!

;) CJ
CJ,
Thanks for the comments. I hesitated posting a picture of my sub-panel work, knowing that you would be looking :).

So far, my only 3-phase loads are my Bridgeport knee mill and 10" Southbend lathe. But it is a growing collection. I'm currently on the prowl for a surface grinder, a small hardinge turret lathe, and a few other pieces. I'll have this new 1200sqft filled up in no time.

(picture from the old shop)
IMG_0595_res.png

After the RV8 project is done, I intend to spend some time rebuilding machinery and scratch building some other machines and tooling before starting the next airplane. Wow, did I just say that? I'm going to build yet another airplane? Well, gee, I guess. Isn't it just what we do? We'll see.

Scott,

Nice!

We never stop building, do we?

I think that I have another airplane in me too!

Keep it up!

See you next year at Osh!

:) CJ

We're continuing to make progress. With all of the drywall complete, I was on a mission this weekend to get the interior painted. My current goal is to get the A/C going. It is hot out there. Working backwards from that, we need electricity done. For that we need to finish terminating all of our branch circuits. Before that, we need paint. So, that is where we're at.

I spent a bunch of quality time with a paint sprayer on my lift. On Saturday, before and after our airport fly-in, I sprayed a high-build primer on the walls and ceiling. On Sunday I popped out of bed at 6am and had the whole place painted before noon. What color you ask? WHITE! No, really, the paint was just base with no tint. The reason is for maximum light reflectivity.

We got the floor cleaned up from the over spray and I got to work installing the 35 electrical receptacles. This was the first time that I actually counted them. Do I have enough? Surely not. At the end of Sunday, with my back screaming, I sat in a chair on the porch with some music and a beer for the first time, just watching the world go by. It was awesome! I think this is going to work just fine.

I'm hoping the A/C will go in next week.

I think I'm going to need a new pair of shoes.
IMG_2213_res.png

IMG_2214_res.png

IMG_2215_res.png

Last edited:
Scott,
A couple of points:
1.) You're supposed to paint the walls, not yourself... :D
2.) There's no such thing as having too many electrical outlets. Until you have a short somewhere...

The shop looks great! It's not even finished and I'm jealous already.

As I have a little time waiting on the weather at Petit Jean this evening, how about a shop update. We have Power! Wow, what a difference to be able to put away the long extension cord from the house. After paint and being able to terminate all of the branch circuits I hooked up the service entry from the pole. I'm happy to report that I released no blue smoke.

IMG_2231_res.png

Our first night with power was neat to see the outside lights alive.
IMG_2237_res.png

Oh, boy, another full weekend to hang and wire the 16 interior LED light fixtures. My fingers still hurt.
IMG_2239_res.png

But there was light!! All indications so far are that my engineering was just about right. It is a little less light than the last shop but still plenty. We've been running only half of them most of the time so far :).
IMG_2240_res.png

Look, we have HVAC guy (no names to protect the not so innocent.) This was the beginning of a three week journey of chaos that no amount of documentation or engineering could have predicted with this character. I won't go into the details. I just need A/C. He loved my lift.
IMG_2248_res.png

The smallest 1.5ton condensing unit I've ever seen. We think it is going to be perfect.
IMG_2249_res.png

But, wait, where is the rest of the ductwork?!!! (grrrr)
IMG_2251_res.png

HVAC guy screws the pooch and almost blows up the CU and it is my job to find and fix his boo-boo. A little personal education after work one afternoon and the CU no longer runs all the time, even when not called for. Geezzz!
IMG_2266_res.png

Man, I thought we were done digging trenches? Not so fast Jack. We had stubbed in some conduit in the foundation and wall for some network cable to the house "some day". Well, today was "some day". There is nothing like having a hard line.
IMG_2269_res.png

This whole project taught me a new skill. I can take a 2.5" down to a 3/4" piece of PVC and turn it into a wet noodle to make it any shape I want. This is conduit for CAT-6.
IMG_2273_res.png

"Ok, Tanya, cover it back up! Don't hit the propane line."
IMG_2275_res.png

100' in one weekend takes two days with the tractor. The results are to be expected.
IMG_2277_res.png

Enough said.
IMG_2278_res.png

The poor HVAC guy was really challenged by the fresh air damper concept. It took him multiple tries and almost got it right in the end. He just missed the little detail that it is in the wrong wall! Moving on.
IMG_2280_res.png

I got the entry door casing trimmed out!
IMG_2281_res.png

"Hey dad, I know you like sitting out on the new porch, but you seem to have handed me one that was almost empty. How about another try with a cold one?"
IMG_2286_res.png

TC found me a nice little geek cabinet on Craig's List that will work just fine. A 55" TV is not too big for this space. It will probably spend most of it's time displaying work infrastructure telemetry. (my ball and chain)
IMG_2288_res.png

Ahh, there is the rest of the duct work! Boy, every detail is a battle.
IMG_2289_res.png

Got my 3-phase panel stuff wired up. There will be an idler sitting on the floor hooked up to those wires.
IMG_2290_res.png

This is my version of thumbing my nose at proper order and design.
IMG_2291_res.png

We finally have completed HVAC! It only took three weeks.
IMG_2293_res.png

Also, we have the whole place wired for sound. I placed the dedicated sub woofer the other day. There have already been a couple of Sunday mornings with the volume "turned to 11" where a wise person might think twice before coming through the entry door for fear of what moves they might find :).

The next steps are: The epoxy floor should start going down the middle of this week and be ready for action by the weekend. We're working on getting on the schedule for the blown in insulation in the attic. After those two things, it is time to start moving in machinery, tool boxes, building benches and storage, plumbing compressed air, working on rainwater collection and the gray water drain.

Moving on!

Scott,

Would you please post model number, specs and spacing requirements for the LED's? I'm currently building a 46' x 35' x 11' hangar and those lights might be just the ticket if they pass code.

Nice shop!

Tony

Scott,

Would you please post model number, specs and spacing requirements for the LED's? I'm currently building a 46' x 35' x 11' hangar and those lights might be just the ticket if they pass code.

Nice shop!

Tony

The lights are ZL1N-L48-7000LM-F-MV-40K-80-WH Obviously I don't have any long term experience with them.

One free place to start tinkering with metrics is: http://www.visual-3d.com/tools/interior/ In my space with that model, I'm around 80 fc Illuminance.

Got floor

The epoxy floor is done. We contracted this out as the cost to do it ourselves wasn't enough of a savings. The product is from Arizona Polymer Flooring. The floor was diamond ground, primed, 100% solids base coat, then topped with a Polyurethane top coat. We'll see how it stands up as I'm going to try my best not to baby it. We've had good results with epoxy floors in the last two shops. It took three days to complete, then we had to stay off of it for two days.

IMG_2311_res.png

IMG_2313_res.png

IMG_2314_res.png

I spent the weekend in the garage working on the compressed air plumbing. It was evident that a bigger shop means more pipe. I actually removed and brought all of the copper pipe from the last shop. I bought some more "Home Depot stock" on Saturday...
IMG_2310_res.png

We had lunch with some good friends that have been taking some strategic pictures along the way. After some good BBQ, they hauled out these quick prints. "Remember how long ago that was?" It truly feels like an eternity since we began foundation prep.
IMG_2316_res.png

But we're not done yet. This story doesn't end until all equipment is in place, tools are unpacked and we're back to RV building. The one thing that we're really looking forward to is being able to finally unpack from our move a year ago. We have shop stuff scattered all over the garage, in the house, and the hangar in boxes labeled "shop". It is maddening to try to find anything.

So, next steps. It will probably take me most of the week to get all of the compressed air plumbing up. Hopefully we can work on moving the air compressor from the garage to the shop porch where it is going to live next weekend. I think Tanya is going to paint the HVAC duct this week. Hopefully we'll get blown in attic insulation this week. We need to work out a small "baseboard" transition around the the bottom of the walls where the sheet rock meets the concrete curb. Then we'll move on to building work benches and storage cabinets...

Scott------any particular reason why didn't you install the air line inside the walls?

Yes. I want them IN the conditioned space. The biggest reason for all the pipe is not really for distribution, but to act as my air dryer. Run hot compressed air through a copper pipe open to air conditioning and it will squeeze all the moisture out of the air. This is the way I've always done it and have never seen a hint of moisture at any of my drops.

Or, you could say that I like being able to see some of the parts and pieces of the machine :).

Scot, You are making me jealous. I lived in Anderson Mill for quite a few years, so used to know the area will (at last visit, it has changed a bit). Didn't start flying or RV building till many years later in Kansas. I'd love to get back to the Austin/Cedar Park area, and the descriptions and pictures of your new shop are turning me into a "green eyed monster".

Well, it is Monday, which means time to go to work so we can recover from the weekend.

Friday afternoon the insulation people showed back up to blow in the insulation in the attic. This is a big milestone as it is our LAST contractor interaction on this project! We are SO tired of dealing with contractors. They were here about an hour and a half. Tanya and I danced a little happy dance when they left.
IMG_2322_res.png

The insulation made a huge difference. I could tell within an hour that the A/C was definitely behaving differently, not running as often.
IMG_2324_res.png

I finally got all of the air plumbing done. There were 92 solder joints.
IMG_2329_res.png

The main supply pipe is 3/4" and the drops are 1/2" copper. There are a total of 5 drops plus the overhead reel. A few design features; all of the horizontal mains slope back to a drain. All of the drops are taken off of the top of the pipe with two 90s (two street elbows). The point of use for each drop is taken off with a T and continues to a lower ball valve for cleanout.
IMG_2330_res.png

IMG_2332_res.png

IMG_2333_res.png

"Spray booth" supply is distant from the compressor source and highly filtered. The filter equipment has been following me for about 12yrs.
IMG_2335_res.png

Overhead cord reel and air hose. No Harbor Freight junk here.
IMG_2336_res.png

...and eventually it comes time to start moving in!!! We got out the little Kubota tractor and our buddy Joel came by to help move some equipment. We got the drill press, band saw, tool boxes, a couple of benches, and air compressor moved. The mill and lathe are going to require some bigger equipment another day.
IMG_2342_res.png

IMG_2347_res.png

Tanya got all of the ductwork painted and Skylar the shop dog (Red bone coon hound) spent most of Sunday working on a bone. The tool chests have been moved.
IMG_2348_res.png

I got the compressor secured and plumbed. Then it was time for the moment of truth. There was only one leak in my 92 solder joints that needed remediation. Otherwise everything pressure tested fine.
IMG_2349_res.png

IMG_2351_res.png

I declare this our first "landscaping". That is a project for another day.
IMG_2352_res.png

IMG_2353_res.png

This week we'll be working on base boards, work benches, shelves...

Oh boy, it has begun! Tanya is making dinner... her littlest mouse voice (If you know her, that is hard to imagine) says "Scott, will you go out to the shop and get me the aluminum foil?" "There are two rolls out there, I don't care which one." (Because SHE took it all out there from the kitchen while painting.) "Yes dear. <smirk, slippers on>"

Super Shop

Scott & Tanya you have created one of the finest home shops I have ever seen. It's going to be a absolute pleasure for you two to work out there next summer when the temps get back up to a hundred. Or actually anytime or any weather in the year.
I can't wait to see the first project that emerges from that space. Very, very nice.
;)

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your progress.
You are and inspiration to the rest of us.
The pictures are great.

Oh boy, the "Tanya truck" came home from work today in low rider mode. She was weighed down by her lunch hour haul. Two of these will be converted into work bench bases as I've successfully done in the past (a small one you can see in the background). The third will roam with machine tooling.

IMG_2354_res.png

Oh boy, the "Tanya truck" came home from work today in low rider mode. She was weighed down by her lunch hour haul. Two of these will be converted into work bench bases as I've successfully done in the past (a small one you can see in the background). The third will roam with machine tooling.

IMG_2354_res.png

Snap-on???

Back