What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sloshed tanks...again

777Dave

Well Known Member
Well after several years of dealing with sloshed fuel tanks on my RV4, I have decided to deal with them once and for all. It should be noted that I added fuel filters several years back and also finger screens inside the tanks.
Even though they look awful, I have never found any slosh in either of the fine bronze filters.
Reading previous articles on VAF about sloshing compound, I was made aware of Paul Beck. He operates WeepNoMore, a Company up in MN. that removes slosh and reseals tanks. Paul received my tanks yesterday and has started stripping them. He sent these pics.
I will update his progress.
I know there are several older threads that document this operation but since there are still questions popping up about slosh, I figured I would add my 2 cents...

B]9bb-3ad38dd4b35f.jpg

8158a84e-61a9-4747-9c56-aeb053dd03ce.jpg

Wow, the tanks on my 1993 vintage RV-6 are sloshed but look NOTHING like those.

There is slosh compound carefully applied along the pro-seal joints and the back wall, nowhere else. I watch them close as the SB suggests, but I haven't had even a tiny bit of the compound show up in a screen or sump.

I've heard nothing but good things about the work at Weep No More, you'll have some nice tanks when they come back.

$

And my wallet a bit lighter....
If my tanks are clean and tight, I will be a happy camper.

Tanks

Dave,
Thanks for the info/update.
My RV-6 tanks from 1994 were sloshed and leaking fuel. After considering the amount of work involved in repair/fixing them. I had Evans build me new ones and after fitting them to the plane, I had them painted to match.
My wallet was lighter too but I had new tanks!
I guess I had more money than time...:-(
The fitting to the plane was a small job compared to chemicals. Vans actually sells a replacement parts kit with oversized skins for a trim to fit install. I had the kits shipped to Evans and he shipped the finished tanks to me.
Just another option for sloshers to consider.

Why does this happen?

That looks terrible. Maybe this is a silli question but how does this happen? And why does it not seem to be a thing with 45 year old Cessna's? Or am I just misinformed...

That looks terrible. Maybe this is a silli question but how does this happen? And why does it not seem to be a thing with 45 year old Cessna's? Or am I just misinformed...

Apparently it was an issue for some Piper aircraft. Haven't heard that Cessna used Sloshing compound. I have read that if the inside of the tanks was prepped properly, the slosh adhered better. Mine was hit and miss. I remember removing a large flake a while ago.

Sloshed tanks

I just installed my -4 tanks after having Paul @ weepnomore remove the slosh. The tanks look like new inside. Excellent service and great workmanship from Paul.

Don't Cessnas use bladders inside the wings for fuel tanks?

(maybe it depends on the Cessna)

- mark

Don't Cessnas use bladders inside the wings for fuel tanks?

(maybe it depends on the Cessna)

- mark

To my knowledge, Cessna hasn't used bladders for sometime. The 1978 182RG had bladders while the 1979 model used wet wings. All of the late model 172s have wet wings.

-Marc

weep no more

How much is it costing you? I have both tanks on my RV-4 that won't quit weeping. I seal them up and in a few months they are seeping again. Only way I know is that my paint gets stained. No drops on the floor in the hangar or anything but it drives me nuts! Maybe they can help?

cost

Paul has quoted me $850 per tank. Took me a few years to pull the trigger and of course the cost went up. I figured I would try it myself but in the end I'm glad I didn't.
Incidently I think there are many out there that weep. The fact that I had slosh made the decision easier.

Paul did my RV-3 tanks a couple years ago, he is great to work with. I tried removing slosh in the inboard bay through the access on the side and that was enough for me. The MEK keep eating my gloves even though they were rated resistant to it, it smells bad but the worse part is trying to get all the slosh removed. I don't think one could ever get it all without a set up like Pauls so I shipped them to him.
He removes the rear baffle and has a set up that sprays the inside for about a day and leaves it looking like new. He then re-seals all the seams and installs the baffle and paints the rivet heads. He also did Vans SB on the fuel tube.
I think you would get more than the cost back when time to sell comes. Buyers are more aware of the slosh problem now and slosh would be a big issue if I were buying one. Cost was about the same as above post and shipping added another 3-4 hundred. It was money well spent.

Cost

I think the total was around $2300 for two tanks, shipping both ways and paint to match as I stripped and repainted the tanks as well. I was very impressed with the finished product, well worth the expense.

Wrap up..

So the tanks have been installed and I have had full fuel for almost a month now. Also about 10 hours of flying... All good. No leaks.
Very impressed with Paul's cleaning, very smooth and clean.
One thing to be ware of. He removes the rivets (top and bottom) that secure the rear wall of the tank and then after cleaning, replaces them. Consequently the paint along this row of rivets is touched up and of course, not like new.
Small price to pay for clean, tight tanks. Cheers

Hours for fuel tank r&r per sb 11-9-13

Anyone have any current info on the approximate number of hours needed to complete the r&r for the fuel tank removal/fuel system inspection for an RV-6A per SB-11-9-13.

Thanks in advance for any information.

What is the scope of your problem? In other words, what condition do you think your tanks are in?

My estimates:

1) No slosh? 5 minutes to visually inspect.
2) Sloshed, but still passes a visual inspection? 5-10 hours to inspect the fuel system, including pulling and cleaning the finger screens.
3) Failing slosh? 10 hours to disassemble, 10 hours per tank to fix (cut holes in aft baffles, clean the inside of the tank, patch aft baffle). 10 hours to reassemble. 5 hours to clean fuel system.

Back