What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Alternator

I'm not flying yet, but my EarthX battery will be on the avionics shelf just forward of the panel. It'll go on the near side of this:

vuDanik.jpg

I'll have a photo showing where it goes on the shelf in my VAF blog in the next day or two.

I didn't think that I wanted to take the space on the firewall for the battery, plus I was concerned about the heat. Putting it in the cabin, though, forces me to their only vented battery, which is larger than I need. I'm trying to put other things in the shelf as well - the battery and starter contactors, the regulator, etc.

Dave

I have put a Plane Power pad mounted alternator on my 3B, I can tell you that it clears the firewall by 7/16" and needed modification to the rear mounted field wire connector for clearance. The engine has to be let forward at the mounts in order to get the alternator on and off. I didn't want the front mount alternator for a couple of reasons and originally had an SD-8 fitted which was perfect for fitting ease and well suited to the very cramped RV 3, however just not quite enough juice for my accumulated loads.
I think (from memory) that the B & C alternator is slightly shorter in length than the PP which would make installation easier but I think you still would have to let the engine forward. I would prefer the B & C for the slightly extra clearance but the PP was donated to me new and never installed so on it went...

For the battery, I have put it on the firewall (cabin side) above the RH pedal supported by the angle cross piece with a stainless steel doubler (carrying nut plates) engine side, access is via removing the boot cowl. The battery box is a generic to take either a PC 680 or EarthX battery, main and start contactors are next to the battery cabin side also. The 3B plans show the battery in the baggage compartment.

Russell

Just did that...

I recently replaced an SD-8 with the B&C 410 in my RV3. It’s a bit tight, but definitely doable. You might have to remove the oil filter housing to get one of the nuts on. Otherwise, it was relatively simple to install with minimal loss of blood. I’m very happy with the results so far.

Attachments

• 2D9F3E45-E808-419A-B0A1-B2EA0522D6DC.jpg
    2D9F3E45-E808-419A-B0A1-B2EA0522D6DC.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 177
Looks good Rich, that is precisely my plan. Also, I noticed you have the oil cooler on top of the engine. Mine came with the same set-up, how well does that work in summer? I'm in Southern California and it's pretty hot from July to September. My buddy said I should replace it with one behind the engine on the baffles, but I'm thinking don't fix what ain't broke.

Thanks David, I'm doing something similar, and I saw some of your other posts regarding venting. My buddy told me the same thing that if I want it in the cabin, I need to vent it if I'm going Earthx. I have a 1 gallon smoking planes system that will go back where the original battery was located.
view

Last edited:
Good info Russell. I wanted the SD-8 but I'm at 15 amps nominal, assuming everything is on, so I need the 20-30 amp alternator. If I'm only day vfr, then I'm probably low enough for the SD-8, but I like a bit of margins when I fly :). Did you put in an Earthx? Did you vent it some way?

Looks good Rich, that is precisely my plan. Also, I noticed you have the oil cooler on top of the engine. Mine came with the same set-up, how well does that work in summer? I'm in Southern California and it's pretty hot from July to September. My buddy said I should replace it with one behind the engine on the baffles, but I'm thinking don't fix what ain't broke.

The oil cooling system was on the airplane when I bought it. I have no information about its make & model. It works too well! I had difficulty getting the OIT above 140 even in the summer. I installed the cover as shown and can now reach ~200 in the summer if I work at it. In the winter I can only reach 180 if I cover up the intakes a little bit. The oil cooler cover stays on all year. I have come to learn that there is no vernatherm in my plane, so that will have something to do with the low temps. (Yes, I've checked the OIT probe and it is accurate in that it does show 212 when immersed in boiling water.)

My system may be unorthodox, but it works! And there really isn't much room behind the baffles to put anything else.

Attachments

• Oil cooler.jpg
    Oil cooler.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 146
  • Oil cooler cover.jpg
    Oil cooler cover.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 131
Good info Russell. I wanted the SD-8 but I'm at 15 amps nominal, assuming everything is on, so I need the 20-30 amp alternator. If I'm only day vfr, then I'm probably low enough for the SD-8, but I like a bit of margins when I fly :). Did you put in an Earthx? Did you vent it some way?

I thought the SD-8 was perfect for my plane (1 radio, 1 transponder, 1 electric fuel pump, 1 electric flap motor, 1 battery to recharge after start)...... until I tried charging an iPad Mini and Dynon D2 while cruizing at 2200RPM. Not many amps coming out of the SD-8 at that RPM! With a 1.3 ratio of alternator RPM to engine RPM, you need about 2700 engine RPM to get 8A out of the SD-8. For the weight & price difference, the 410 is a much better choice IMO.

Good info Rich, Mine also has a cover on top....looks identical. I'm guessing that was how the first RV-3's were designed. I like the design and expect I will keep it as designed. If it doesn't work, then I'll look at a different solution.

My plane first flew in '83 but has been sitting for 17 years...had an engine fire so I have a few things to fix, and I'm doing CN-2 while I'm at it.

I haven't decided on a battery as yet but I have been using a cheap AGM lead battery for wiring setup etc. Like Dave mentioned I would be using the ETX 900 vented battery for in cabin use. Same size case dimensions as the other models but way more expensive, especially in Australia.
Hard to justify the cost against the $120 PC 680 clones although the weight saving and cranking power is attractive, not so much the complexity.

Russell

My plane first flew in '83 but has been sitting for 17 years...had an engine fire so I have a few things to fix, and I'm doing CN-2 while I'm at it.
Good luck with CN-2! Please let me know how it goes and how long it takes.

My plane also first flew in ‘83. Serial number 270 built by a Mr. Alan Pickup. I’m really having fun with it, although I wish it had an O-320 instead of a -290. As a wise man once said, “there’s no substitute for cubic inches.” :D

Back