What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Handle Installation Driving Me Bonkers

Hi All,

I can't for the life of me get the flap handle installed! Four bolts have stopped me in my tracks going on day two. I've tried everything I can think of, including applying pressure to the head of the bolts with a crowbar while rotating them. Including turning them both ways in case I don't know which direction "rightie tightie" means.

Plans P. 32-04, Figure 2, Step 2

AN3-11A bolts going into K1000-3 nut plates.

It looks like the bolt is making it through the holes in the F-1215-R/L but the threads on the bolt are not getting deep enough to meet the threads on the nut plates on all four locations. Something is keeping the bolts from going all the way in, even with pressure from a crowbar.

What size tap is used for an AN3 bolt? I can't figure out the charts for taps/dies/bits.

If anyone makes house-calls in the SF Bay Area I'll give you my first-born.

Thanks,
Harry

First make sure that the correct nut plates are installed at the bolt locations ( test start bolts without the blocks in place).

If they check out ok, then make sure you don’t have the blocks mixed around. I think I remember that they aren’t 100% symmetrical but not positive.

AN3 bolts are 10-32 thread but running a tap in the nut plates is not a good way to resolve your problem. I would bet it is a nut plate size or block positioning issue.

Thank you Scott and Tony.

Indeed, it turns out I've got the wrong nut plates installed. K1000-08 instead of K1000-3. And the seat floor is already riveted into place, too.

If anyone knows how others have remedied this, I'd appreciate learning how. I plan to contact Van's in the morning for guidance.

Thanks again for the insights.

Best,
Harry

Ok, I've got it sorted. Many thanks to those on this thread and other threads on this topic.

I used a 90-degree drill bit attachment to drill out the rivets on the errant nut plates. Then I used CCR-264SS-3-3 rivets (blind, countersunk) to fasten the K1000-3 nut plates.

This was tedious but do-able and far from the impossible task I thought I had in front of me.

Thanks again,
Harry

Back