What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Cowling Piano Hinges...

Piper J3

Well Known Member
The lower right hinge pin on the lower engine cowling keeps creeping up out of the piano hinge on a friend’s RV-12. We have tried putting a bend and a series of waves in the wire and still creeps up within a few hours of operation. I remember reading that someone safety-wired the hinge pin and I’d like to better understand how this was accomplished – maybe a photo.

Also, for those having similar issues, does the lower right hinge seem to give the most problem?

Also, for those having similar issues, does the lower right hinge seem to give the most problem?

Yep ... The lower right is the only pin that tends to creep for me. Lately I have been placing the bent end of the pin under a rivet which seems to be working fine. I think Joe in Michigan made a lock for the pin by adding a nutplate and a piece of metal (may have been an eyelet from a hinge) to capture the bent end of the pin.

Last edited:
Make a pin like this. Then just spring it down and hook it under the oil tank bracket.

i-GV2KgDK-L.jpg

I’m not sure how most rv12 owners address this issue but on my RV7A the cowlings’ hinge pins have a nut plate on the lower cowling which I screw a #8 screw in through a fiberglass fairing cover. Works great.

Tony_T "Make a pin like this. Then just spring it down and hook it under the oil tank bracket."

Brilliant!~

Back