What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 A/P Yaw Damper

TDP

I'm New Here
Really new to this, but was wondering if anyone has configured a Yaw Damper autopilot servo to the RV-12.
Before anyone says" What Do You Need That For", please understand I'm just trying to figure a few things out.
Thanks in advance, :)

I've noticed that when I get really lazy on autopilot and put my feet flat on the floor the nose can hunt in light chop, but just lightly resting m feet on the rudder pedals stops it. A rudder damper seems like overkill, but since I put a VOR/GS with 3 LMB in my 12 I live in a glass house and shouldn't throw stones!😄

That's ok, I've heard you have to keep a little right rudder on a power climb hence my thought about the yaw damper.
But, not having flown in one yet, I can only ask about it so far.

-tp :)

That's ok, I've heard you have to keep a little right rudder on a power climb hence my thought about the yaw damper.
But, not having flown in one yet, I can only ask about it so far.

I think every airplane I have ever flow (including my primary training) required holding right rudder during a climb.
A yaw damper is not really meant to resolve this if you don't like to hold right rudder.... It is basically a third axis of an auto pilot. Autopilots generally should have each axis in trim so that they aren't working against control forces just like a pilot doesn't like to. In fact the more advance ones will request that you adjust the trim when needed, and some will even do it its self.

If you don't like to hold right rudder, what you need is adjustable rudder trim (also over kill on an RV-12 in my opinion).

I think every airplane I have ever flow (including my primary training) required holding right rudder during a climb.
A yaw damper is not really meant to resolve this if you don't like to hold right rudder.... It is basically a third axis of an auto pilot. Autopilots generally should have each axis in trim so that they aren't working against control forces just like a pilot doesn't like to. In fact the more advance ones will request that you adjust the trim when needed, and some will even do it its self.

If you don't like to hold right rudder, what you need is adjustable rudder trim (also over kill on an RV-12 in my opinion).

Well, opinions vary and that's exactly why I'm asking. Sounds like the YD might be a waste of time and thanks for the info.

Tim,

I've flown three different types that have the 912 ULS. Every one required more than a "little" right rudder in a full power climb out.

It's funny to see the reaction of jet jockey friends of mine when they climb out in my 12.

Rich

The V-tail Bonanza sometimes oscillates in yaw in bumpy air. That is what a yaw damper is for, not the need for right rudder on takeoff. They came up with an easy fix - an upside-down "U" channel about 6 feet long (IIRC) was riveted longitudinally on the aft fuselage - effectively creating two long fins on the bottom.

A yaw damper for the RV12 really would be a waste of effort. There is a ground-adjustable rudder trim tab that you set during Phase 1.

It might be tough to get the PID tuning right for the yaw axis. In turbulence, the RV-12 is least stable in yaw. Nose swing L-R +/- 10 degrees is very noticeable in rough air. Holding rudder locked straight has no effect. This condition is just inherent in the design.

maybe you could rig up a simple yaw trim based on spring tension.. like what they do for the RV-6 ailerons ? if you can get the mechanics right, it'd probably be the cheapest answer.

Back