What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hammy!

petehowell

Well Known Member
Beautiful fall day in the upper midwest just made for a XC with a purpose. Hamilton(Hammy) was a young Boxer boy out of Cincy that had some health issues and needed a relocation to the rescue folks up here in Minne. The logistics office went into high gear and arranged a multi-hop, mutli-layover trip, with Schaumburg(06C) to KANE being the last hop today. Here's how it went.......

We are past peak color, but the I'm a sucker for the hills and hardwoods of the Badger State.

IMG_2239.JPG

Flew right by Madison, but did not stop to see the twins - big Halloween party down there tonight- I'm sure I don't want to know anything about it......
IMG_2249.JPG

Nice tail wind on the way down at 7500 and flight following from the ground at Anoka to the edge of the Bravo in Chicago made the trip quick, safe and effcient. Less than 2 hrs later I was on the ground at Schaumburg - seems they name the restaurant for distinguished guests when they come in.
IMG_2250.JPG

RV-9A builder Mark Coplon was on the ramp when I landed and came out to check out my plane and say hello. Another great guy met thru this hobby. He was a great help getting Hammy boarded as well.

After saying goodbyes all around, Hammy and I snuck out of 06C under the 1900ft Bravo shelf (O'Hare is right freaking there!) and set the Trutrak for KANE and 3800 to stay below the wailing winds upstairs. Yep, it was bumpy, but Hammy studied the radio chart and was ready to help out.
IMG_2252.JPG

He slept most of the way and was a huge snoring machine - I could feel his throat vibrating on my thigh!
IMG_2258.JPG

Nice patch of color on the way home....
IMG_2261.JPG

This stream caught my eye as well....
IMG_2266.JPG

All too soon, we were on with Minne Approach and almost home. Hammy was a great passenger!
IMG_2274.JPG

Some stats....
584 Miles traveled, 25 Gallons burned, 4hr 5 min flight time, ave 142Kts/163mph, 23.4 nmpg/26.9 smpg.

Not too shabby!

Last edited:
Pete, is was great meeting you as well. Your 9 is beautiful, I can only hope my build stays on track for a 2012 completion. Also you should very proud in the service you perform to help out these animals. That Boxer was actually happy to see you because he knew you were going to help him out..
Mark C. N119RV
Working on panel over ther Winter

142 kts with a fuel burn of just a hair over 6 gph. That's not shabby at all. I sure hope I can be flying my 9A next year.

Great job on the writing, photos, and the flying. Hamilton has a better life because of folks like you who care.

Hammy Update!

I think things are going just fine for the big boy! (Hammy in front!). New owners report he is in to all sorts of fun trouble!

Hamilton.JPG

Back