What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Harmon vs F1 vs EVO?

CuriousGeorge

Hello Rocketeers -

First, I just watched the EAA video with Rick's masterpiece. Very impressive.

But the real question... what's better/worse/different about the F1 and Harmon Rocket II? I'm talking finished planes, not building, but maybe some readers would like to know the building differences too.

Thanks --

George

Well,....

Hey George:

While there are significant engineering differences between the HR2 and the F1 Sport Wing models, and yet another group that would apply to the Evo, but either will put a smile on your face, and make you feel like a teenager again.:D

The main difference these days is that you can still get an HR2 'kit', while the F1 is not currently in production. If you want an F1, you will need to find one on the aftermarket.

The main differences between the 2 versions are as follows:
*The F1 main landing gear axle centerline is moved fwd approx 2" to reduce the nose-over tendency -- exactly like the 1946 C-140 compared to the 1947 model.
*the F1 has an empennage designed to cope with the loads associated with its higher speed capabilities, and the larger vertical sfcs provide a more stable ride in turbulence (less 'wiggling')
* the F1 has larger fuel tanks (52 gals vs 42, but the HR2 does have an option for larger tanks)
* while in production, the F1 came as a QB kit. As the HR2 was not available with this option, the cost of the HR2 'kit' was substantially less.

Of course there are more, but I have touched on the high points.

As for differences with the Evo version, see what Doug Rozendaal wrote today in another thread involving the Evo CG range. I think his opinion counts where handling differences and qualities are being discussed.:cool:

During the production run, I did not get to the point where I could produce my 'goal' aircraft: tapered wing w/retractable gear. I am working towards this goal, even now. This means I will be producing parts again, and you could have an F1 if I can get the project off the ground. The new kits will have a carbon wing, with the capabilty of accepting the retracts (for those who would want such an option), but will use the same fuse/emp/finish kit/canopy etc.

I hope this helps -- for further info please email me at f1boss (at) gmail (dot) com.

Carry on!
Mark

Thanks George :)!! I had a great time doing the video with the Sport Aviation folks....especially the air to air over the Gulf.

Video here - click on F1 Rocket:

http://www.eaa.org/video/eaa.html?videoId=29617820001

I think Mark answered your question(s) for the most part. I've flown the HRII, the Sport Wing F1 and the EVO F1. I chose the Sport Wing F1 and it was the right decision for me. I like mine so much that I purchased another F1 Sport Wing kit this past winter. I picked it up on Trade a Plane......as Mark indicated.....the open market is the only place to get one right now. If you want a kit and you see one for sale.....better jump on it as they are usually gone in a couple of hours :eek:.

Hello Rocketeers -

First, I just watched the EAA video with Rick's masterpiece. Very impressive.

But the real question... what's better/worse/different about the F1 and Harmon Rocket II? I'm talking finished planes, not building, but maybe some readers would like to know the building differences too.
Thanks -- George

Last edited:
Did someone mention canopies are different.

Slider canopy generally on the F1 and tilt over on the Harmon Rocket.

There are a few choices on the engine cowling openings.

F1's have a smoother transition from firewall area above the main gear fairing.

I see 90% three blade props on the F1s. Mostly paddle two blades on the HR2.

Back