What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Wing Flop Tube install

Craw

Good Day All,
I'm looking for pictures or a link to a blog from someone who has installed a Flop Tube on RV-7A QB wings. All the previous posts or links I have found appear to be broken.

Any insight into the install especially with pictures would be appreciated.

All the best,

Phil

Here is mine

Here is a picture of mine from 2007

5A7065AC-8491-4DDA-8046-21F64B9B0F58.jpg

Do to unrelated reasons, I am in the process of doing it again right now.

A27EF1CF-3EFB-4F14-A945-32C88FFDBBD1.jpg

I’ll have more of the actual flop tube install soon

Flop tube

If you install it, make sure you add an antirotation bracket. There's no way to hold the fitting when you tighten the line and it can rotate and leak.
I didn't add one. I dont plan any inverted so I may remove it and switch to a standard pick up and cap the flop tube fitting for future use. I haven't joined the wings yet so it's fairly easy.

Thanks All. Since Im working from a QB wing will I need to remove the tank or can the work be done with the sealed tank on the wing?

Thanks All. Since Im working from a QB wing will I need to remove the tank or can the work be done with the sealed tank on the wing?

You'll need to open up the tank; there are some parts (anti-hang up bracket, trap door, etc.) that are different...

Have you reviewed the plans yet? DWG 16A shows this.

Last edited:
You could probably do it with the tank on the wing, but it will be easier with it off. Specifically, you'll want to shake out any chips or other debris, which will be easier with just the tank. It only takes 5 mins to unbolt/unscrew the tank from the wing.

Thanks again for the feedback. I haven't reviewed the plans yet I just wanted to get an idea of whats involved.

Cheers,

Phil

Back