What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Project-Can I install a 121.5 ELT?

There is no mandate at this point to install a 406 Mhz ELT in a new aircraft.
A 121.5 Mhz is still legal.

I honestly don't know why you would. The 406 units are so much more advantageous at about the same cost. The mandate has already come to several neighboring countries and can happen here any moment. During the build stage is the easiest time to run the GPS signal feed to the installation location. Satellite monitoring of the analog 121.5 signal stopped altogether over 10 years ago.
https://www.avweb.com/ownership/the-411-on-406s/

Last edited:
As Mel rightly says, there is no mandate in the US to install a 406/121.5 ELT. But after years of indecision, Canada has mandated it, although for recreational aircraft, the final implementation looks to be 2025. So think about where you might want to fly.

Since the satellites no longer listen for 121.5 ELTs for SAR purposes, and haven't for about 10 years, I don't know why anyone would install one if they are buying new. Only other aircraft and airlines listen to 121.5 and they have no way of determining the location, only that they have received a signal.

One reason to install a 121.5 MHZ ELT is if you already have one.

Yes 121.5 isn't worth much anymore for an emergency but there's a good case to be made for ELTs of either stripe being redundant if you have ADS-B out. IMHO if you have an ADS-B + an EPIRB, an ELT isn't worth spending any more on than strictly necessary to meet the regs. Even 405 MHz units have a dubious record with regard to triggering when they should and not when they shouldn't.

Personally I'll only upgrade once the USA or Canadian rules make me.

Being a HAM radio guy, the only problem I see with 121.5 ELT in a new airplane is you will have a hard time finding a NEW 121.5 ELT to install. If I remember correctly, the FCC (not FAA) halted / stopped the manufacturing new 121.5 ELTs a year or so ago. (FCC 6-months after January 11, 2019)

Here is a link to the paragraph in Federal Register.

Yes 121.5 isn't worth much anymore for an emergency but there's a good case to be made for ELTs of either stripe being redundant if you have ADS-B out. IMHO if you have an ADS-B + an EPIRB, an ELT isn't worth spending any more on than strictly necessary to meet the regs. Even 405 MHz units have a dubious record with regard to triggering when they should and not when they shouldn't.
This.

There's also a better-than-average chance that within the next five years when Canada mandates them, that someone will come up with a G-switch for ADS-B, and that this will become an acceptable alternative.

Personally I'll only upgrade once the USA or Canadian rules make me.
Ditto. The clock has started. :p

Back