What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Intake Ramps

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Another post (prepping for a lengthy annual to address a lot of issues).

My engine suffers from high CHT's - I have tried the washer fix, and redid my baffling as well. While that helped, I still can get my CHT's above 400 at below freezing temps. I think that one of the contributing factors is that my cowling doesn't have those ramps on the top of the intakes which I thinks leads to a lot of spillage as well as turbulent flow reducing effectiveness.

Are these ramps sold anywhere? If so I am looking for P/N and the process for attaching them.

Thank you!

WN

Drawing 48, upper right hand corner of drawing. P/N: Cowl, 8 inlet left/right.

I didn't see them in the store so you'll probably have to call. I put mine in with clecos and then epoxied in place.

Thanks Carl for the images and help! I actually have them I’m just on the road for a few weeks and not able to get to the plans.

Inlet ducts. They appear to be these from the Van's Parts List.

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/public/parts.txt

COWL,8 INLET LEFT, INLET LEFT PRE PREG, $43.00

COWL,8 INLET RIGHT, INLET RIGHT PRE PREG, $43.00​

From DWG 48:

i-gbcJ2wC-M.jpg

i-3rkPGQX-S.jpg

You also need to purchase a set of RV-8/-8A plans/manual on a USB drive for $10 --> https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-b...6088377-296-93&browse=videos&product=fd_plans

I had the question back in 2015. Search this > Cowl Inlet Ramps - needed?. CHTs rarely hit 400

You should drop by KVIS sometime. If you're interested, I am doing a new baffle kit right now. Airplane is going in for all new fiberglass work in January, including a new cowl and I just finished completely re-wiring the entire airplane, AND an extensive annual. Lots of improvement this year, not much aviating. Shoot me a PM, I am in the hangar every day until the 8th of December.

Inlet ramps

I have just started flying my RV8. So far the CHT temps appear to be well within limits. I manufactured my inlet ramps by using blue foam with an epoxy skin. I took great care when sealing the baffles and the engine area in general. All very smooth with no sharp corners to trip the airflow.

Jason,

I'll definitely swing by and see what you have going on. Curious about your baffle kit. I'm hoping these ramps solve some of my problems. In Hawaii for a few weeks but I'll let you know when I'm back in town. I've got a hangar in HJO but keeping the 8 in FCH with my fiancés 6.

Cheers!

Charles

You should drop by KVIS sometime. If you're interested, I am doing a new baffle kit right now. Airplane is going in for all new fiberglass work in January, including a new cowl and I just finished completely re-wiring the entire airplane, AND an extensive annual. Lots of improvement this year, not much aviating. Shoot me a PM, I am in the hangar every day until the 8th of December.

Dec 14-19th

Sounds Good!

I messed up the oil cooler mount, so I am awaiting some replacement parts from Van's.:rolleyes:

I will be back on the 12th myself. Working to finish everything up and trying to get back in the air by the 19th. I'll likely be in the hangar the 14th to the 19th.

Wingnut,

You're always welcome to take a peek at my setup as well. I have gotten it to cool fairly well (385-400 in climb at 120 degrees F OAT) since redoing my intake ramps and baffle seals. Hit me up if you'd like pictures!

Back