What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locking gas cap retrofit

Stewbronco

Well Known Member
Hi ....either need to rebuild or change out my old gas caps ( 1990 kit ) for locking version ...any experience based advise on either option would be appreciated.....I know Vans sells parts and locking caps ( looks to need new ring bonded in ) ....thanks. Stew

I installed the retrofit locking gas caps that Van's sells. Its a ring and the locking cap. Buy a small tube of proseal with them and proseal the ring in.

Pretty easy... Just need to test fit/mark the position so the key line is straight before you proseal.

Last edited:
Newton fuel caps locking

Hi Vans adopted our lightweight gas caps about 2017.
They carry stock of a lockable version.

The old style 'luxury' metal caps are available via Spruce but the new caps use a 65mm skin hole v 58mm for this cap so there will be a 3.5mm gap, probably not noticeable after painting. There may be a picture on the Newtonsprl web site.

For the RV10 the wing is less curved and a flat flange makes a better fit ask Spruce for an Aero 300 cap in a flat rivet flange. This is a closer fit to the new hole.

Most of our OEM customers use the flat flanges in wings similar to RV's so that is a possible route.

Robin

locking gas cap oops

Hi dmatt

Just realised there is a discontinuity here.
dmatt is talking about a retrofit key operated gas cap assembly that fits into the old Usher cap flange. Works better than the original Usher caps.

Stewbronco wants a lockable current cap which is available from Vans and fits the flange Vans supplies.

RV

Bonded caps are good

I have the retrofit bonded in caps that I installed in my QB wings. Bought them direct from Robin at an airshow, so I know they are good! :D They work great so far - 10+ years installed and 40+ hours of flight time! :D

I installed the retrofit locking gas caps that Van's sells. Its a ring and the locking cap. Buy a small tube of proseal with them and proseal the ring in.

Pretty easy... Just need to test fit/mark the position so the key line is straight before you proseal.
Do the retrofit bonded-in fuel caps require the key to remove the cap, or may they be left unlocked while still sealing the fuel tank for flight? I'd love to upgrade the stock caps, but don't really want caps that need a key for refueling. I'd have no issue getting a set of these if locking the cap is optional (i.e if they have something like a push-button, pop-up action for removing the cap).

Do the retrofit bonded-in fuel caps require the key to remove the cap, or may they be left unlocked while still sealing the fuel tank for flight? I'd love to upgrade the stock caps, but don't really want caps that need a key for refueling. I'd have no issue getting a set of these if locking the cap is optional (i.e if they have something like a push-button, pop-up action for removing the cap).
My fuel caps require the key - which I just keep in my pocket with the key for the baggage area. I got 2 keys with each cap so I have 4 total and I have not yet lost one - knock on wood! They are much easier to open than than the standard cap, and seem to seal very nicely.

My fuel caps require the key - which I just keep in my pocket with the key for the baggage area. I got 2 keys with each cap so I have 4 total and I have not yet lost one - knock on wood! They are much easier to open than than the standard cap, and seem to seal very nicely.

I actually like this feature. Gas key on the same ring as the starter key, then there's never any chance the mags are left on while fueling.

I actually like this feature. Gas key on the same ring as the starter key, then there's never any chance the mags are left on while fueling.
The third key is the key to the airport toilet, which is my most important! :D

Back