What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing pull/blind rivets

I have one these tools and it works great. I've only used it for solid rivets. Make sure to hold the cylinder in place while drilling or it might wonder slightly off center.

I tried that tool on some universal head driven rivets and wasn't happy with the result. It's easy for the bit to wander off the side if you're not careful to hold the barrel centered, and you can't see that it's happening because the barrel is in the way.

The one I was using came from the Yard Store and cost about 1/2 as much as the one in your link, so maybe it was lower quality with more slop in the barrel or something, but I went back to drilling them by hand and haven't looked back.

I drilled out the pulled rivets in my baggage floor to install steps without any special tools. These are aluminum rivets. Use high speed and little pressure and these rivets come out easier than removing screws. No problem with the drill wandering as the pulled rivets already have a hole in the middle for centering.

Recommend taking a small punch and driving the mandrels out before drilling. Not necessary but works well for me

Recommend taking a small punch and driving the mandrels out before drilling. Not necessary but works well for me

This has to be done first!

If you don't punch out the rivets mandrel, the drill bit will wander off to the side when it hits it.

I put my deburring bit in my micro stop and used that when I had to drill up my baggage compartment floor. Set it so it just takes off the head and does not go into the floor.

I considered put it back down with platenuts and screws but realized it isn't worth the effort or extra weight as I have only had the need to remove it once in 12 years and that was for a panel upgrade.

Just installed a step for a friend with a -7. No special tool needed for the aluminum rivets in the floor and no need to drive the pin out. Just drill the head off and go to the next one.

Also no need to remove the aft set of solid rivets that attach the floor. Just use some safety wire to hold it up and out of the way.

The pop rivets are easier to remove than screws without special tools. You will need punch to drive out the mandrill, then drill out the rivet. They are soft aluminum and drill easy. I did use a 90* drill in places for better access.

Shade Tree method.

Clever tool but I never had an issue in the thousand pull rivets I removed. Pop style, not the Cherry. If the rivet is loose and rotates, just lay over the drill ( as needed) at and angle and push lightly, it'll stop rotating and get cut just fine.

Being a tool guy, the serrated design is clever though and . . .. ok I should stop now before I have to buy something.

Step is in !

Followed the tips given and all went in well with the assistance of my friend N325KS Keith Sremaniak. Step in !

863-C41-A3-413-D-4-A6-A-AA81-0-C1-B20-C79-FA9.jpg

C8-CB54-C9-1-EEF-42-A2-9-E0-C-9-CB04-F9384-A1.jpg

Back