Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2021, 06:05 PM

I upgraded my grips to Tosten CS-8 grips. I did it during the conditional inspection so I had everything open saving some time. I estimate about 2 days additional work for the mechanical and electrical rewiring.

This grip added selection of radio channels, flip flop, elevator trim, and autopilot, plus trigger PTT. My OEM trim on the dash was changed to a on/off switch that can disable the right seat stick grip functions. The OEM autopilot CWS button was changed to a toggle for the fuel pump, (it stays on during all phases of flight).

Click image for larger version

Name:	CS-8 installed.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	13361
Old 09-15-2021, 10:44 AM

Default Fuses?

Has anyone modified from fuses to breakers after certification?
Donated
Old 10-24-2021, 02:02 PM

Default Added Garmin GPS 175 Navigator, Dynon D3 and several other items to panel

I completed some additions to my panel, primarily to provide GPS/IFR navigation capability. Not for "hard" IFR by any means, but to allow me to maintain currency and the ability to get out of places when ceilings are too low. Took opportunity to add a few more items at the same time. Summary video link, and photos below.

https://youtu.be/kpUzCfVtjW4

1. Relocated DYNON AP/Knobs panel to lower right panel to make room for GARMIN GPS 175 top center. Powered GARMIN unit by tapping into power plug circuit (wanted to use different fuse than the one for the Dynon GPS for redundancy) Simply mounted DYNON D3 battery powered backup attitude indicator beside the GARMIN unit on right side for redundancy. Passengers now have more to look at too.

Installed DYNON ARINC on top of glove compartment box inside avionics bay as this is needed to connect GARMIN unit to Skyview. Had SteinAir create wire harnesses which worked seamlessly.

2. Installed "go around" button for GARMIN added below AP disconnect. (will add placard)

3. Expanded plate and mounted GPS antenna to existing shelf in engine compartment for GARMIN WAAS antenna. Was concerned about proximity/possibly interference to existing DYNON 2020 antenna but initial testing OK.

4. Added RAM mount using doubler to bottom left avionics shelf for iPad

5. Added switch for power to facet fuel pump on upper left, above ignition switches. Read all the back and forth on it already in the forums. Wanted ability to turn off mechanical pump on ground when loading s/w without pulling fuse.

6. Added additional USB power plug on lower right side of panel for passenger and also to recharge DYNON D3 as needed.

RV-12, N913BC
2021 VAF Donation, please make yours too!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 10-24-2021, 02:16 PM

Nice! I've considered similar. Is there any concern about 'power budget' with the 912ULS? Or any concerns on voltage regulator after install?

I'm interested in the mod for 2 reasons:
  1. Training to get my Instrument Rating
  2. Ability to do VERY light IFR
Old 10-24-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFCRV12 View Post
Nice! I've considered similar. Is there any concern about 'power budget' with the 912ULS? Or any concerns on voltage regulator after install?
[/list]
Power draw was a question for me too. Of the various Garmin navigators this one takes the least. The units with nav/com, FIS-B etc... capabilities clearly draw more. Trying to find reference but I understand the 175 takes about 2 amps, install calls for a 5 amp fuse, which is what the power plug circuit I tapped into has already. Limited testing to date, but it operated fine with two different USB chargers simultaneously connected, one for an iPad and the other on the Dynon D3. I will not plan to operate it that way but was curious. Impact on regulator to be monitored.
RV-12, N913BC
2021 VAF Donation, please make yours too!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg

Last edited by PilotBrent : 10-24-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:50 PM

Thanks Brent! Keep us updated. In parallel, I'll start saving
Old 11-28-2021, 11:31 AM

Added G5 with backup battery as a tertiary backup attitude indicator (primary, look out the window, secondary G3X, tertiary G5). Plumbed into pitot static system, so also provides secondary airspeed and VSI.

Completed painting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	18813  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1927.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	18814  
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=bbernstein
2021 dues paid. Best bargain in aviation!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:38 PM

Your plane looks great, Barry! I like the panel and paint!

VAF donation made for 2021
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I upgraded my grips to Tosten CS-8 grips. I did it during the conditional inspection so I had everything open saving some time. I estimate about 2 days additional work for the mechanical and electrical rewiring.

This grip added selection of radio channels, flip flop, elevator trim, and autopilot, plus trigger PTT. My OEM trim on the dash was changed to a on/off switch that can disable the right seat stick grip functions. The OEM autopilot CWS button was changed to a toggle for the fuel pump, (it stays on during all phases of flight).

Attachment 13361

Hi,
can you give me some information how you did it? Especially considering the wiring? I own a RV-12 ULS (still with the D180) and I am also thinking about adding the trim and AP disconnect to the yoke. However, Vans couldn't help me with it and now I am not sure how to approach the change. Do you have a wiring scheme you are willing to share?

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantin_w View Post
Hi,
can you give me some information how you did it? Especially considering the wiring? I own a RV-12 ULS (still with the D180) and I am also thinking about adding the trim and AP disconnect to the yoke. However, Vans couldn't help me with it and now I am not sure how to approach the change. Do you have a wiring scheme you are willing to share?

Thanks!
Just small technicality... you don't have a yoke. RV-12 has side-by-side sticks.
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H