Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 AM

Default pitot tube

I was wondering how the pitot tube is connected on the rv12
Old 09-11-2009, 07:09 AM

It starts at the tip of the spinner and connects to the back of the Dynon. The tube in the spinner is stationary and the spinner rotates around the tube. There is a ceramic bearing surface in the nose of the spinner minimize wear. The Rotax 912 has a hollow shaft through the gear box. It is located in the spinner rather than the wing to minimize complexity when removing the wings.

Hope this helps.
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.

Last edited by Geico266 : 09-11-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 AM

Default PITOT SYSTEM

Van's design of this pitot system must be pretty good because in the Pilot Operating Handbook the airspeed calibration table has all the calibrated airspeeds identical to indicated airspeeds from 45 to 150 knots except; 55 cal is 54 ind., 60 cal. is 58 ind., 70 cal. is 69 ind., 80 cal. is 78 ind., 85 cal. is 84 ind., & 90 cal. is 89 ind. So the few anomalies are within 1 or 2 knots.
Larry H.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:07 PM

After 30 hours I thought VAF might be interested to see what wear looks like on the pitot tube. Not much at all, just a little buffing.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 PM

Default Pitot tube

Did you use any lube? A little should go a long way.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond 11 View Post
Lube would not be a good idea and should not be necessary (which is the reason it is not specified in the maint. manual). The pitot tube is hard anodized to protect it from wear, and the bushing insert in the spinner is made from a special material that is impregnated with Teflon. A wear test was done for very significant amount of time and found there to me a negligible amount.

If you add some type of lube it will attract dust and grit...the wear will likely be greatly accelerated.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond 11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Lube would not be a good idea and should not be necessary (which is the reason it is not specified in the maint. manual). The pitot tube is hard anodized to protect it from wear, and the bushing insert in the spinner is made from a special material that is impregnated with Teflon. A wear test was done for very significant amount of time and found there to me a negligible amount.

If you add some type of lube it will attract dust and grit...the wear will likely be greatly accelerated.
I kept it dry per the maintainance manual. Like Scott said, I would think any lube would attract dirt and cause undo wear. The reason I posted the picture is this seems to be one of those areas when the airport "experts" come over to look at the RV-12 and tell me this will wear out in a few months. Part of the building process is to align the pitot tube so there is very little to no side pressure on the bushing. The ""unsusual" pitot system system seems to be working work very well.

Last edited by Geico266 : 12-14-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Default No Lube In Maintenance Manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico266 View Post
I kept it dry per the maintainance manual. Like Scott said, I would think any lube would attract dirt and cause undo wear. The reason I posted the picture is this seems to be one of those areas when the airport "experts" come over to look at the RV-12 and tell me this will wear out in a few months. Part of the building process is to align the pitot tube so there is very little to no side pressure on the bushing. The ""unsusual" pitot system system seems to be working work very well.
The Maintenance Manual that I have, and that is posted on Van's web site does indeed specify a lubricant for the Pitot Tube Bearing. Pages 10-2 and 10-3 spell out the process. From page 1-10 we learn that when they say "Spray Lubricant" the mean either LPS-2 or Tri-Flow.
RV-8 (Bought Flying)
Glasair Sportsman (Sold)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)

Last edited by ArlingtonRV : 12-14-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRV View Post
The Maintenance Manual that I have, and that is posted on Van's web site does indeed specify a lubricant for the Pitot Tube Bearing. Pages 10-2 and 10-3 spell out the process. From page 1-10 we learn that when they say "Spray Lubricant" the mean either LPS-2 or Tri-Flow.
Person who wrote maint. manual did not verify...it will be changed.

Do not put spray lubricant on it.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Default Pilot tube

There is a dry teflon lube that's used in sail boat sail tracks. If we see it's needed should work.