Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-08-2021, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
By all the way to the floor I assume you mean past the flaps fully retracted detent notch?

If so, that position is not intended to be used. The flaps are supposed to be adjusted positioned trailing edge slightly below nominal with the flap hand in the bottom detent notch.
Correct, but it is not a position that I use. It was an accidental placement that baffled me as to why my plane suddenly felt different. Now that I know about it, I am more careful to ensure that I engage the detent when I retract the flaps.
RV-12 #0760
Dues paid through 6-2022
Old 11-09-2021, 01:55 AM

Default Nosewheel Fork pressure

Gators R1, Bob, I note that you have reduced your nosewheel Fork pressure,
"Per KAI Rev", and have better ground handling and less differential braking.
Can you please tell me where that Revision is, (I can't find it on Van's website) and/or what the new pressure is, as I have lots of ground handling problems and anything that makes it easier
for me would be wonderful!
Cheers & thanks, Dean Wallace,
RV12 120679.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:59 AM

Default Fork Pressure

PS Bob, I have replaced the old fork with the new " Beefed Up " Version.
Thanks, Dean
Old 11-09-2021, 07:27 AM

Hi Dean
My book (KAI) is at the office (hangar) so I have to guess at the published values for nose wheel deflection (as measured with scale affixed to fork per instructions).
But originally the number was like 26 lb. (I think) and was revised to an 18 to 20 lb. range (again, guessing - check the official KAI update).

The latest rev/change can be found at

http://www.vansaircraft.com/service-...-and-revisions

Select your aircraft model and drill down the page (after all the service directives, alerts, bulletins, letters & notes) to the appropriate KAI Section (1st/left column).

I was SO pleased with the improvement in taxiing after adjusting the rotating force at the nosewheel.
Another factor, not to be ignored, is that I had removed the fork, cleaned all and applied fresh grease.

P.S. I also have the improved fork (installed prior to 1st flight) but not the new leg (yet). Also have wheel pants/fairings.
RV12 #120764
Support VAF "if you read it, buy it"
Old 11-09-2021, 07:13 PM

Default Nose Fork Pressure

Hi Bob, Yes, found it! Thanks for your help, It's on page 35-07, revision 3, Dated 09/21/16. I found a note to myself in my KAI on a previous revision, that I had reduced the force to 19lbs, (originally 26lbs) so it may be that I need to disassemble, clean, regrease & reset. Hopefully that will reduce my embarrassment when turning on the taxiway... Thanks again, Dean