What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bending tabs on W-1204D (12iS) pg.17-06

KEG

Patron
Anyone experiencing what appears to be excessive angles called out for bending the attachment tabs on the wing closure W-1204D. Example: Many tabs call for a 30 degree bend. After doing so, I dry fit the part and found the tabs do not make proper contact with Wing Tip Bottom section. the tabs angle up at a significant angle instead of the tab laying flat against the bottom section. It appears a 15 to 17 deg bent would be more appropriate. I have not called Van's yet (weekend) but would like input before bending any more of the tabs. I do not like to 're-bent' aluminum.

I pretty much followed the KAI regarding the bend angles, making final adjustments as I Clecoed along. It came out acceptability in the end.

In my opinion though, this was the portion of the design that was the worst cosmetically. My painter ended up filling the gaps with epoxy for a clean appearance.

I just got them close by eye and let the flèches pull them in. The adjacent flecks were close enough that as long as I was close the stayed in place for riveting.

Clecos, not flèches or flecks. Thanks spell checker.

I recently saw on the internet: Think of spellcheck as a well meaning elf that lives in you computer/phone who desperately wants to help but is, in fact drunk out of his mind.

Back