Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I'm not up on the ELSA rules, but I can answer your question for EAB: The answer is zero. There is no such thing as "IFR Certified" EAB. The FARs limit operations to day vfr, but most OpLimits contain a waiver, allowing night and/or IFR operations if equipped according to FAR 91.xxx. But there is no "IFR Certified" paperwork from the FAA. It's up to the owner/operator to determine if they meet the OpLimits for a certain type of operation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
FAA Order 8130.2J, Appendix D, Paragraph 49 allows:

"Instrument flight operations are authorized if the instruments specified in §91.205(c) are installed, operational, compliant with the performance requirements of, and maintained per the applicable regulations. All maintenance or inspections of this equipment must be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records and include the following items: date, work performed, and name and certificate number of person returning aircraft to service. (49)"

This paragraph applies to operating limitations issued to aircraft certified under §21.191(b), (f), (g), (h), & (i). §21.191(i) being E-LSA

So...an EAB airplane doesn't have to be "certified" as IFR-capable but the required IFR instrumentation in it does?
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 11-04-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
So...an EAB airplane doesn't have to be "certified" as IFR-capable but the required IFR instrumentation in it does?
Mostly, no. Transponders, and GPS used under IFR, must be TSO’d or have other FAA approval. Everything else, you’re on your own.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:29 PM

Default Wait....so ELSA can fly IFR if equipped/compliant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
FAA Order 8130.2J, Appendix D, Paragraph 49 allows:

"Instrument flight operations are authorized if the instruments specified in §91.205(c) are installed, operational, compliant with the performance requirements of, and maintained per the applicable regulations. All maintenance or inspections of this equipment must be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records and include the following items: date, work performed, and name and certificate number of person returning aircraft to service. (49)"

This paragraph applies to operating limitations issued to aircraft certified under §21.191(b), (f), (g), (h), & (i). §21.191(i) being E-LSA
Thanks Mel- as a DAR I really appreciate your guidance.

This is probably the most confusing piece of the whole ELSA/EAB decision for me....thought I had it figured out after reading the Vans order for, but I guess not.

I take comfort in the fact that I'm not the only one confused by this. Haha.

Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:55 PM

Thanks Mel... i saw it somewhere but couldn,t find it.