Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseric View Post
Thanks Geaorges for these well made points. All makes sense.
Not flying yet and about to do TW training.

Would a passenger and bagage in the back of a 4 or 8 increase the tendency to ground loop as more weight even further back the mains (CG further rearward) want to go forward???
the quick answer is yes, mostly due to the fact that the CG is shifted rearward making the aircraft less stable and making it very "touchy" on the controls.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 10-31-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseric View Post
Would a passenger and bagage in the back of a 4 or 8 increase the tendency to ground loop as more weight even further back the mains (CG further rearward) want to go forward???
As said CG moves back. The big thing especially RV-4 is the elevator feel is much lighter, less elevator to flair and required input different, than solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sailor View Post
I can't count the number of tailwheel checkouts I've done over the years but certainly a ton of them.
If students learning on tricycle gear aircraft were held to the same standards as tailwheel students by their instructors then tailwheel checkouts would be a lot shorter in time.

[SNIP]

Tailwheel aircraft are not all equal either with some requiring a very high level of skill.
RV's, Cubs Cessna140, 170's and Citabrias are on the super easy level with Pitts, Texans near the top and Pacers and Luscombe near the middle.
Agree 100%, concur. Spoken like a man who knows TW planes.

2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 10-31-2021 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:41 AM

I especially enjoyed the Pauley/Rozendaal videos. Yesterday while flying my RV-6 I tried to observe the adverse yaw. Rocking the wings I could not discern any yaw while cruising at 100 kts. Does the 6 exhibit adverse yaw?
Old 11-01-2021, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyden View Post
I especially enjoyed the Pauley/Rozendaal videos. Yesterday while flying my RV-6 I tried to observe the adverse yaw. Rocking the wings I could not discern any yaw while cruising at 100 kts. Does the 6 exhibit adverse yaw?
I loved it when Doug said "See that over there? That's the centerline. It's where the professionals live."
Old 11-01-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sailor View Post
Tailwheel aircraft are not all equal either with some requiring a very high level of skill.
RV's, Cubs Cessna140, 170's and Citabrias are on the super easy level with Pitts, Texans near the top and Pacers and Luscombe near the middle.
To be fair, Pitts' vary to a massive degree. The king of the sensitive tailwheel airplane is an S-1 with the standard bungee gear and steerable leaf spring tailwheel. Put spring or rod main gear on it and it gets "easier". Then add a locking tailwheel and you have an airplane any 172 driver would feel at home in.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
I loved it when Doug said "See that over there? That's the centerline. It's where the professionals live."
Ha! I heard the same thing when I did my DC-3 type rating ride with Doug back in July... but I'm only 5-10 feet left! And there I was trying to be all professional and whatnot. Busted!
1850 hrs
Houston, TX
Old 11-01-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbDC9 View Post
... when I did my DC-3 type rating ride with Doug back in July... but I'm only 5-10 feet left! ...
That must have have been a real good time! Congrats!
Old 11-01-2021, 02:03 PM

Default RGood

This thread reminds me of my old instructor friend who was checking me out in the club sky diving Cessna 195. He was a believer in 3-point only landings on our 1900 ft dirt runway. "If you still see the runway at touchdown you missed it". (I owned a 1954 C-180 back in the late 60's.)
Exempt but proud contributor
Jerry Kinman, VAF 170
Keller, TX (T67)
Old 11-01-2021, 02:05 PM

Default Good Reading

This thread reminds me of my old instructor friend who was checking me out in the club sky diving Cessna 195. He was a believer in 3-point only landings on our 1900 ft dirt runway. "If you still see the runway at touchdown you missed it". (I owned a 1954 C-180 back in the late 60's.)
Exempt but proud contributor
Jerry Kinman, VAF 170
Keller, TX (T67)