What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Video

pattern?

so...is that the classic 'overhead break?' approach?
...as much as I've heard it described, there's nothing like seeing it done.
nice demo!

Thanks!
That was pretty sedate as overhead's go, in my opinion. I was making room for a Blackhawk that was in the pattern. The overheads I'm familiar with are pretty much a constant turn with no real wings level segment until short final.

Hey Brent,
Is your windshield the standard one for the -8 or is that the one for the Rockets? (Looks very Rockety)

Glenn Wilkinson

Smokin Video!

I love the way you put your video together. The second segment appears different than the first. It appears as though you repositioned the camera slightly and the prop indexing artifact is gone. Did you change the shutter speed or any other setting to get rid of the prop indexing?
Thanks,

Thanks Guys!

Steve,
You are correct.I pivoted the camera on its mount on the flight home. The settings were the same, but due to low light the prop scalloping is reduced. You can see that in some of my other videos on YouTube. Low light helps alot.

George,
I'll get a pic of the mount this weekend when I'm back out at the airport and post it up.

great video

Very nice video! Any thoughts on the other cameras? I'm in a buying mood. GoPro, Coutour (NFlight), Drift and any others you can think of?

Very nice video! Any thoughts on the other cameras? I'm in a buying mood. GoPro, Coutour (NFlight), Drift and any others you can think of?

Thanks Jerry!

I have only used my DRIFT and a borrowed GoPro. The GoPro hasn't been mounted externally, but does a great job inside the airplane. I'm sure it's fine outside too, but since I borrowed it I couldn't put screw holes in the mounting base.
My DRIFT has developed an alergy to vibration. It'll shutdown or lockup if it shakes too much - your mileage may vary. I'm still playing with it to see if I can isolate the issue. I like the drift because it's more aerodynamically shaped vs the GoPro, but I think they are all pretty good.

Sweet !

The latest Go Pro will be iCone enabled to operate it remotely.

Going to pick one up in July.

How does the Drift angle of view compare to the Go pro ?

I can do 170? or 127? depending on resolution.

It's interesting, all of these cameras have the slight rolling distortion - any idea what causes it ?

Cured the stutter with a class 10 card, but still get the roll.

Wing Tip HD camera

Thanks for the video. it convinced me to go flying this weekend. Life is too short to think about doing something. Just do it!
Randy Means
N595RV
RV10

Nice music!

I was kicked back on the couch watching this on the iPad, the wife couldn't see the screen but could here the music. I have to say, she did ask, with a peculiar look on her face; "what are you watching?". Ha! Good vid too ;)

How was the adverse yaw? I tried putting a gopro on my wingtip but did not like how far the ball moved out. I figured I'd either have to fair it a bit or add equivalent drag on the opposite side (and changing stall behavior - which would be undesirable if doing aerobatics).

Kevin,

I used a standard supplied sticky mount for my GoPro onto the inspection panel next to the tie down under the left wing.

Field of view was excellent, no perceived adverse yaw up to at least 180kts.

Vids posted elsewhere - if you can't find them email me for a link.

Thanks guys!

How was the adverse yaw? I tried putting a gopro on my wingtip but did not like how far the ball moved out. I figured I'd either have to fair it a bit or add equivalent drag on the opposite side (and changing stall behavior - which would be undesirable if doing aerobatics).

Kevin,
I didn't notice any significant yawing. In that video the camera was sideways to the wind so it was max drag.

Video

That was one nice video with a basic overhead approach.

Waiting for the aerobatics??

Nice plane.

Awesome Video

Thanks for the great video Brent. Would you mind posting a photo of the mounted camera?

Brent,

I love the combination of the mirrored view on the wing and the music.
Visually stunning! Looking forward to more videos.

Wingtip vid

That nicely polished wing adds nicely to the video. Anyone familiar with aerobatics will identify your maneuvers, no problem. You did a real nice job on this video ending with a great landing. Nice job. Look forward to more video this summer. Thanks.

Question: how did you mount the camera on the wing?

Back