What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally saw and sat in one!

bhassel

Well Known Member
Thanks to the 'White Pages' I found John Fasching's name and phone number listed under the RV-12/Colorado section. There aren't any in New Mexico (yet).

I talked with John on Saturday and found he had his bird down for an annual inspection. What a great time to look and see. By Saturday night we decided to call up my father-in-law Bill and head up to Salida, Co to see John's bird on Sunday. I wasn't sure we'd actually get there in time to reasonably get back so I didn't even call John back until we were in Alamosa, Co (a little over an hour away from John). He was ready to show his bird and would meet us at the airport!

I took a detour out of Alamosa up Colorado Highway 17 (apparently also know as the Cosmic Highway, complete with an alien visitors center). The further north we drove the narrower the valley got until we head up to Ponchas Pass.

poncha-pass8.jpg

We started down into the beautiful valley before us with lot's of green and water (things we don't see a whole lot of around here) and on to the airport.

We pulled up in front of John's hanger by 2 pm and saw his beautiful RV-12 poking her nose out the hanger door.

John immediately started showing us around.

DSC_4377.jpg

John told us of his experience with the build, the engine and the Dynon. Here's a picture of his ADS-B box along with the 'moeller fuel gage' mod (why isn't this a standard with the build???).

DSC_4379.jpg

Here John is showing my father-in-law Bill the wing spar and attach fittings.

DSC_4382.jpg

The busy Rotax comparment. Wow that sure doesn't look like the engine bay of a 57 chevy (you could sleep in one of those!).

DSC_4383.jpg

John's fueling solution:

DSC_4392.jpg

I kind of like the look of the metal tips!

DSC_4393.jpg

Jan wanted to cruise around and look at the airport. The mountains on the left are the continental divide.

DSC_4395.jpg

Here John is showing us his carb sync box...

DSC_4396.jpg

The full picture album is at https://plus.google.com/photos/1159...998105437810253197/albums/5750189789296567313

A HUGE thank you goes out to John for being such a gracious host and allowing us to pester him on a Sunday in that beautiful valley. I still owe John a meal and a margie, we may just have to drive that way again!

Thanks John!!!!

Bob

Part 2...

John and Bill discussing the rotax engine. Notice how neat and well organized the hanger is.

DSC_4400.jpg

She looks good in pants!

DSC_4401.jpg

The interior:

DSC_4402.jpg

There's plenty of room in here!

DSC_4406.jpg

The boss making sure that things stay organizied with those strangers hanging around...

DSC_4408.jpg

John had it down for it's annual and we didn't really have time to do much more than drive up, look and drive back.

I figured when its time I'll get some transistion training. I'm not sure I'll fly off the 5 hours anyway after looking at the PAP. I think I'd rather have someone with more time handle that.

Bob

Back