What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N614EF: The little plane that almost couldn't

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
7331616922_3ef0498c9d_o.jpg

As you may have read elsewhere, Tom Berge conducted the first flight of N614EF today.

From the blog:

When I started this project 11 years ago, I wanted to end up with two things: (1) An airplane and (2) The same person next to me who was next to me when we started. By the way, that's not in order. What I got out of it that I didn't anticipate was a great number of friends I met along the way, managing to keep most of them.

I've just uploaded video to the blog.

Last edited:
That's one of the best first flight video's I've seen.

Well done. Congrats on the AIRPLANE!

Phil

Excellent

Very good Bob. I'm very proud of you to stick with it.

Can't wait till you fly it!!!!

Are you still in shock? Nice job, more to do, but a little celebration is in order. You built an airplane! Well done

Last edited:
OSH

Bob, Congratulations,Now its a Plane! I'm glad you will be at Osh,and I know you have no time to bring your ship if its a working vacation,Can't one of your Trusted friends fly her in for you? After all,you and your Fans have been through on this build the Perseverance ribbon will never be more deserved than the one you and your many Fans have earned. What better way to display this fine ship for sale than to a crowd of what 80,000 potential buyers.Forgive me, I'm just thinking out loud.
rhill

Last edited:
Well done Bob, congratulations, fantastic news.

I know this has been a hard road for you but I am certain these will be forgotten now. The moment will be surreal, the reality will take some time to sink in.

Perhaps you should interview yourself at Osh....

(I met you at your RV camping ground rendezvous at Osh in 2009.)

Way to go, Bob (and family)!!!!

Seven weeks from now, "Silver RV land on the green dot. Nice landing....welcome to Oshkosh". :)

(I happen to believe it'll be out of phase I by then...)

Last edited:
Can't one of your Trusted friends fly her in for you?

It's not that. It's that I don't think I'll have the flight testing completed by then. Plus I like to have a BIG campsite in Scholler and I can't squeeze all the junk in her. But maybe. We'll see.

Maybe it'll be done and maybe I can find a Twin Cities person driving over who can take my tent and stuff.

Awesome Job!!!

It was a pleasure watching that video! Feels good to watch it lift from the ground, doesn't it?

Yay to perseverance!

Bob, beware of "builder let down". Its the feeling you get walking through the shop with nothing to do after you get the plane to the airport and flying.

Very nice video btw, but you needed to add cream to the coffee and I'll be there. ;)

Congratulations!

Bob,

I have followed your posts and progress for years, and I'm very happy that you now have a great airplane to show for your efforts. Enjoy it.

Fernando

Congratulations

Great to see that your baby was born (pass inspection) and now took the first step (first flight). Soon it will be running (phase II). "Hard work bring joy", it is definitely true.

Dreams!

Dreams do come true... when you make it so.
Congrats and now you get embark on a new and life altering adventure... getting to know your new "sweetie"!

You're Next Bob!

Wonderful, Bob, simply wonderful. What we are all very much looking forward to is your first flight in the airplane that you built. Can not wait to see your RV grin!

Very best regards,

Congratulations! What a wonderful story - loved the picture of you and your wife watching your airplane fly.

Maybe now your dog won't leave the room when you walk in! :D

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job, hope you get into the pilot seat real soon.

I also love this photo of you watching------lot of message there if you know any of the story behind it. I am glad someone had the presence of mind to take this shot.

7331616922_3ef0498c9d_o.jpg

Congratulations Bob!!! In the best Red Green tradition...we were all pulling for ya!

Jeremy Constant

Congratulations!

Bob, I join all your friends who have congratulated you on your accomplishment. I don't know if you like Sinatra, or if you even sing. I think the video should close with you (or Sinatra) singing, "I did it My Way."

And that's the way it ought to be done!

Bob

Bob, I have been pulling for you since your start. Glad you finished it and got it flying.
I opened RV Central a little over 11 years ago and look at Dougs site most every day, and have read most of your post. Glad you are flying. I hope you get some quality time in it real soon.

Way to go, Bob!!

Congratulations. I'm one of many that has followed your progress. Well done!

These are very nice messages. Thank you so much. Can I go off topic for just a moment, though, on the question of perseverance?

THIS is perseverance!

Congrats again Bob, but you didn't have to make me tear up!
We forget sometimes how lucky we really are just to be able to participate in this unique hobby, and to your point, as big of a challenge building your own airplane is, some have much bigger challenges just trying to live a normal life.

Thanks for keeping things in perspective, but it still does not diminish your achievement. You are in a rare class.

Excellent, excellent. I'm all choked up. :eek:

Bob, beware of "builder let down". Its the feeling you get walking through the shop with nothing to do after you get the plane to the airport and flying.

And you ain't kiddin' Larry.
Thank god for all the honeydo's that have been backed up waiting.

Just finished the new chicken coop. :D

I want to wish you my heartfelt congratulations, too, Bob. You are truly an inspiration to us all. And that video of the little boy really topped it off. Thank you for adding that!

AWESOME

AWESOME Bob....you built that. It's a great feeling isn't it. Enjoy and hope to see you at OSH.

Nice

Glad that to see it DONE and flying. Awesome.

Will enjoy seeing your first flight as captain. Good job.

Bob----congrats on an awesome accomplishment. Maybe one day we can meet ans you can tell me the story on Perserverance. You certainly have shown it. Very proud of you my friend.
Tom

Add me to the list of congratulators (new word). I've enjoyed following your progress, and have learned a lot along the way. Having just gotten my pink slip today, I'm starting to understand the excitement. Well done!

Congratulations, job well done Bob

It just keeps getting better & better...I even took some time off Saturday to fly into my first grass strip at GA2 (Peachstate Aerodrome on Saturday.
First in Miss Sandy anyway)
CU at OSH:p

.words escape me...........................................................................
Untitled_1_copy_Small_003.jpg

urtheman.gif

Back