What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N59LG defeats gravity itself!

rph142

Well Known Member
Semi local airforce/airline/RV pilot Scott Jordan flew down to Pottstown in his 8 to perform the first flight in my 3 yesterday. I was able to ride in the back of Scott Powers' RV-8 as he flew chase during the entire flight. The weather was near perfect with temps in the mid 40's, no wind, no clouds and unlimited vis. Scott and I took off ahead of the 3 and lined up on a high downwind so we could get a good view of the takeoff. In about half a second the 3 was up and steadily climbing to 3k. After a few laps and with all engine sensor points in the green we decided to pull in close to check out the control surfaces. Everything looked great and in trail. Next were a series of stalls and a quick hi speed run. The only issues were a slightly heavy right wing (about 5 deg/second) and the flaps would not lock in the full down position. Not too bad if you ask me! Again big thanks to the Scott Jordan, Scott Powers, my Dad and the crew at EAA 1250 as well as my friends and family who came out to whiteness the big event.
Im off to Frisco in a few weeks so unfortunately I wont be able to fly it for a while. I just hope I can claw it out of my dads hands after he has flown off the 40 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esoxlQ14kxc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmZj3r3I-Jc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Congrats Rob!

Congratulations Rob! I'm just a couple minutes away from you (RV minutes :) ). I can't wait to meet you and see your beautiful 3 up close.

Fly Safe!

Fantastic!

That's great, Rob. I'm glad it happened before you had to move. But, I can't imagine how hard it will be to be across continent for Phase 1. It looks gorgeous in the air!

Congratulations!

Outstanding Rob - absolutely Outstanding! Congratulations, and thanks again for the web site that helped us so much - I have lots of your pictures printed out in our build manual.

Congratulations Rob! I had a privilege to see your bird in person two days ago. Nice, very nice!

Congratulations!!! Your website was one of those I looked at before I decided to start, and it greatly supported me with the decision to build in the space I have available -- my living room. It's wonderful to see that your bird is flying now.

No fair, Rob. You're all ganging up on me! Between you, Paul, and Louise, and all of the amazing RV-3 adventures this weekend, I'm almost convinced I should build one, too. Congrats indeed, and thank you for sharing your build on your excellent site.

--
Stephen

Congrats Rob, I remember checking your site daily to see updates back when the Fuse took up your entire apartment! Very Very Cool.

-david

Wow! Trash-talking got me on the YouTube!

Rob,

What a day! Congrats and glad I made it down to see the first flight of a wonderfully built airplane!

I had fun showing up talking to you friends and family....trash talking about you "test pilot" :D

Of course, I didn't tell them Scott was my Test Pilot, mentor during my build and that we are friends. It made it fun!

You picked a great test pilot to trust with your 3 - as I said, he 2nd to none.

As for the paint job idea, in person it really shines.

Now get on that tailwheel training so you can figure out what you did first hand!!!

Good luck,

Just watched the videos

It looks like it was warmer in PA this weekend than Houston!

Great that you got the in-air photos and video. Poor Mikey couldn't keep up with our -3. Our photos were just a speck in the distance! (Okay, we did get in closer some of the time but those times were busy inspecting the plane and such.) Thank for sharing!

ou will never see your plane again!

Rob,
The plane was a delight to fly. Testing and expanding the envelope is enjoyable and rewarding when you do it right. I know you (your father) will proceed methodically and carefully. If I can be of any further help with the testing, don't hesitate to call.

It was fun to learn that your father was also a Reese UPT grad, about a year behind me. But, with all his Tweet time, I know he will not give it back to you willingly after he finished the testing. And, since we need more RV's here in the Northeast, I may be on his side on this! ;-)

Hope to see it at Oshkosh, sure to be a contender for the "Dead Grass" award.

Congratulations again!

Scott A. Jordan
http://www.behance.net/ScottAJordan
N733JJ - nearing 1000 hors, not Rossie and Tupergal territory but I'll try harder next year! ;-)

Brilliant

That is absolutely pukka Rob. Well done. I have to agree with Paul that your webite is one of most informed around on the RV-3.

Congratulatins, Rob. Having built an RV-3 over 20 years ago, I know what you had to go thru to get it flying. The pix and videos brought back many a fond memory. Thanks.

congratulations

Another project completed. The plane looks great. I am working on my second airplane and should be able to join you in another year or so,

Rob,

That is great news and a great looking -3!

Good luck with the new job and I hope all goes well with the Phase 1.

Back