What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One wing skinned the other one to go

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
Hey Gang,
Glad to see so much activity on the site. We have been a little tied up with the death of my father in law and the services were this past weekend. But on to the aircraft...Were rocking.... 11 months into the project. all the tail feathers done. One wing skinned totally as of today and will knock the other one out in the next week.

I am so pleased with the way the seams fit. I left the wing in the wing jig and put the bottom skin on there as I could not get a table in to put the wing on. Using a small step stool worked. The skins fit great.

Be ordering the Fusledge shortly... and with the encourgement of this group and a few Ben Franklins floating around we'll get going on it... I can not wait to get this in the air...

I'll try to attach a picture.
I also have the flaps done, Alierons built , Roll servo installed and the heated pitot plumbed.
The tank balloons stayed inflated for 2 weeks so I guess were good to go.

thanks for all the help so far.
Smilin' Jack

[ed. I removed the link to go to the online gallery of more of your pictures. When I clicked on it my virus scanning software lit up like a Christmas tree! I would suggest hosting your pictures on another site. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have already scotchbrited some of the skins since once the wings are done i will wheel them into the next bay of the garage and etch and prime the wings. Just trying to do stuff as I get the time.
Smilin' Jack

Looking great jack !
Mine only took six years, at your pace, it will be done next year. ( note I didn't say, what year )
:D

Jack,

How high off the floor are the main spar supports on your wing stand? I ask because they look high enough that you might have had to use a ladder or stool to drill the tanks and leading edges.

The ones I have in the photo below are borrowed, and I'd like to have someone weld up a couple of sets for my own, so I can build both RV-7 wings at the same time. These have been used to build many sets of RV and Rocket wings. The rear spar ends up too low to the floor to fit the flaps and ailerons, so that would have to be done in a different stand, or with the wing nose-down in a cradle, but they were perfect for working with the tanks on my Rocket wing.

Thanks in advance!

Miles

oruflh.jpg

Miles,

Sorry for the delay on the answer to your questions.
The main spars are about 55 inches off the floor and the top of the tanks are
right at 72.5 inches off the floor.

I am so glad I set them up this high. all the work on the wings is mostly at standing or a good chair height. After putting the top skins on I was able to put the bottom skins on while still in the jig eliminating another table in the work shop. I did buy two folding 8 foot tables at Staples and rested the wing on to fasten the flap. I will put it back on the stand and after etching and alodine the skins, I will prime the wings on the stand. It has wheels on it so I can roll it. The wings will fit on the stand with the flaps and alierons installed.

Jack

Thanks for the info Jack. I wish I had known about your project a month ago while visiting family in NW Georgia! I would have liked to drop by and see your setup for myself. Maybe next time...

Back