What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In the Pink ? Junior Takes Wing!

Magic!!!! Well done you two.

I am fighting another war at the moment and it is going well.

I shall be looking with anticipation for further updates.

Tony

Here's a future thought

Enter it in the AirVenture Cup race this year (if there is one - always a question). You would be in a class that has very few entries and Bob Vassey would appreciate seeing another RV-3 to compete with. The race should be from Mitchell, South Dakota to Oshkosh (actually at a nearby location with recovery at Fond Du Lac and group arrival at Oshkosh). Bob is a veterinarian from Iowa I believe and every year he flies his red RV-3 (he previously built a scaled down P-51) in the big race.

Bob Axsom

Maybe in 2013

Enter it in the AirVenture Cup race this year (if there is one - always a question). You would be in a class that has very few entries and Bob Vassey would appreciate seeing another RV-3 to compete with. The race should be from Mitchell, South Dakota to Oshkosh (actually at a nearby location with recovery at Fond Du Lac and group arrival at Oshkosh). Bob is a veterinarian from Iowa I believe and every year he flies his red RV-3 (he previously built a scaled down P-51) in the big race.

Bob Axsom

I wouldn't be surprised if Paul catches the racing bug, but probably not this year. We'll be very occupied with the RV-1 events. I'm sure Junior will be at Oshkosh but not racing.

Paul and Loise, congrats and good job! Welcome to the rather exclusive fraternity of RV-3 drivers, you've made us proud!

Well, I'm a little miffed that neither of you called me before the first flight for some aviating advice. :D

Congrats, you two! Your project sure has given me pause to think about someday building an open cockpit runabout. Let's see... Smokey took me 13 years ... I might get it in before I turn 100.

Well, I'm a little miffed that neither of you called me before the first flight for some aviating advice. :D

Congrats, you two! Your project sure has given me pause to think about someday building an open cockpit runabout. Let's see... Smokey took me 13 years ... I might get it in before I turn 100.

But now you're an "experienced RV builder" Don! I'll bet you can finish it before 90... :D

I rarely post here as I am not a RV builder or owner. I own and run an auto repair shop and have since 1981. I have been a ASE certified master mechanic since 1978. When I work on cars I am often interrupted. I have a personal rule. Nothing gets installed halfway. Don't allow anything to "look" finished unless it is. For example I will not walk away from a car that has lug nuts on but not tight. Never leave yourself a "trap". This partially installed fuel selector arm was what I consider a "trap" The arm should not have had a screw installed unless the job was finished. Tape the screw to the handle until the loctite is on.
I congratulate all involved in a safe outcome. It is great that others can be warned and can learn.

Last edited:
RV3

Congrats Paul and Louise!

Enjoy many flights in her.

Brian Eisner
RV4 C-GRJT
Halifax Nova Scotia
Canada

Good to hear!

Magic!!!! Well done you two.

I am fighting another war at the moment and it is going well.
Tony

Well, that's better and more important news than anything involving Junior. Our hearts and prayers are with you, Tony! We hope you will be building that RV-3B soon!

Paul and Louise

Most hearty congrats. You sure make it look easy. Can't wait to see your paint scheme.

Last edited:
Back