What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-803

sapeloson

Well Known Member
As I start my fuse and fit all my firewall parts to the aft side of the firewall, everything fits fine until I ran into a problem with #WD-803 on both sides. The holes in the base are correctly spaced. However, the welded on upright part of the piece seems to be attached about ¼” out to far. It takes considerable effort to get the part into place so that the clecos can be inserted thru the parts and into the firewall. When it is attached it pushes the pre-bent flange on the F-801E-R and L out past the edge of the firewall. Something seems very wrong here……as I have learned since the start of this project, if it don’t fit, you probably have the part upside down or backwards. I think there may be more to this one…..……

I have spoken with Vans and we aren't on the same page, he said to just shim it.....#@$^%&7^%$ .....I need more help......

this is with the part just snugged up as close as it will go without force:
snugedup_zpse9b11bae.jpg

this is with the part forced into place.....a lot of force!
partinplace_zpsdc724ac9.jpg

WD -803

Forget the match drill process here , drill the powder coated steel parts to size (#30 ? ) first . That might help you out .
Tom

Forget the match drill process here , drill the powder coated steel parts to size (#30 ? ) first . That might help you out .
Tom

Thanks! I guess the fact that the "matched hole" preocess has been perfect so far, I'm scared to have to "make something fit". The few times I thought that's what I needed to do when I first got started' was completely wrong! If I'd done it then I'd have ruined a few parts........oh we'll, guess I need to read ahead and find out how this is supposed to work when it is attached and work to that location.....

Hello! After finally giving in and getting ready to drill more holes, I went back to the shop to study the situation some more. Guess what, I now see the light! The two parts interlock! What a dummy! I can't believe I missed that.....plans show it very well,,,,if you look at it for a few hours..... I shoulda caught that one....

image_zps6d1f2bfa.jpg

image_zps9150881d.jpg

At least now I know, sooner or later I will have to make something fit,,,,,but I'll give it an hour or thirty six before I drill......

RV-8 Fuselage construction/ confusion

Hey Their, If you can send me an email address I will send you all of my fuselage pictures so far. Anything I can send that will help you, your welcome to. Bill. # 81858 e-mail to. [email protected]

Thanks!

Hey Their, If you can send me an email address I will send you all of my fuselage pictures so far. Anything I can send that will help you, your welcome to. Bill. # 81858 e-mail to. [email protected]

PM sent.....

Thanks a bunch! Just send me your fuselage, I'll send you my parts. Since you just did one, you can do the next one real fast.........:D

Just kidding, thanks for the pictures, sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.

Back