What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Stock Vans fuel valve handle mod.

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Here is an example of what a buddy did in his RV 10 to make the stock Vans unit more user friendly.

The little pointer end was ground off, leaving just the longer handle part, and the valve was installed in a manner that put the handle forward.

Round plate with Left, Right, and Off positions marked on it finished off the installation.

Sorry for the photo quality, I grabbed a crop out of a larger photo, and lost some detail/clarity.

DSC01041.jpg

Last edited:
The one I received and installed on mine is shaped a little different, but does point forward for left and right tank selection. My "tractor valve" does not leak or slip on the shaft. Works great.

The Vans valve handle had a small pointer ----maybe 1/4" long on the side opposite the long wing on the handle.

This is what is normally used to indicate the valve position in many installations, not of an aircraft usage.

The photo in the first post shows the handle with the pointer removed, you can see it here, in this photo I borrowed from Vans website.

cat-med_fuel-selector-valve.jpg

Here is an example of what a buddy did in his RV 10 to make the stock Vans unit more user friendly.

The little pointer end was ground off, leaving just the longer handle part, and the valve was installed in a manner that put the handle forward.

Round plate with Left, Right, and Off positions marked on it finished off the installation.

Sorry for the photo quality, I grabbed a crop out of a larger photo, and lost some detail/clarity.

DSC01041.jpg

This is not the valve handle that came in my -10 kit. Mine came with a handle pointer that had a push button lock-out in order to move the selector valve. I junked it anyways and went with an Andair.

Back