What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First engine run and taxi

s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
We did our first engine run and taxi today in our 7a. All went well, a couple of small problems that were quickly fixed that allowed for the taxi test. Inspection will be next week. Bunch of friends from the airport were with us for morale support. This is what amateur aviation is all about.

Phelps:)

First engine start

Likewise, I'm not far from first engine start with a new Lycoming 0-360 7A. With the understanding that low rpm engine run should be kept to a minimum prior to first flight, what is the general concensus on taxi tests? I've been assuming that I'll confirm that it will taxi straight/brakes work while taxing to the runway. Lock Haven airport is 3800' in length, so I don't have a lot of extra runway to experiment with on takeoff.
Any special must-do's to prepare the engine for first start are also appreciated.

Jim Diehl N891DD #71976
Lock Haven, pa

Likewise, I'm not far from first engine start with a new Lycoming 0-360 7A. With the understanding that low rpm engine run should be kept to a minimum prior to first flight, what is the general concensus on taxi tests? I've been assuming that I'll confirm that it will taxi straight/brakes work while taxing to the runway. Lock Haven airport is 3800' in length, so I don't have a lot of extra runway to experiment with on takeoff.
Any special must-do's to prepare the engine for first start are also appreciated.

Jim Diehl N891DD #71976
Lock Haven, pa

Hi Jim,

Since My engines have been built by Mattituck, I use "Mahlon's Rules", one of which states that as long as you keep CHT's below 300, the engine doesn't know it has been run (with regards to break-in. We have been using that in our testing on the RV-3. We start it up, do low-speed taxi's, magnetometer calibrations...whatever is necessary. Then we do a thorough check for leaks. Our DAR likes to see a minimum of one hour run time on the engine before sign-off, primarily for those leak and systems checks. We makes sure that we shut down and let it cool down completely (hand can stay on the cylinder head fins) before starting it again. As a TC/FA, I highly recommend getting enough run time to ensure that you have no oil or fuel leaks before first flight!

Paul

kevin & dave, lookn forward to having another rv around ower field. you guys are doing a first rate build. see you in the pattern soon. call if you need some rv time. happy for you both.

Jim we spoke to Brian at lycoming many times before doing the engine runs. He was great help. He spelled out everything we need to, should not do, and limits to observe. If you like send me a pm and I will reply with his number.
Phelps

First engine start

Phelps,

The beauty of living in Williamsport (7A project is down the road at Lock Haven) is that the Lycoming plant is only a few miles from the house. I'll give them a call. I have taken advantage of the expertise of some of their engineering staff that are members of our local flying club and should also do so with their tech support fellows. Yes, I bought the engine through Vans (didn't pay Pa. tax at the time) and had a will-call pickup at the Lycoming loading dock! On that subject, once I registered the plane with the FAA, I got the onerous letter from the Pa. Dept of Revenue to pay in-full the 6% tax within 14 days. Ouchh.

Jim N891DD

Back