What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need scrap of canopy in SoCal

Marabou

Actually that's all question. My next step in 7A building is trimming of canopy. I prefer to use piece of plexy for practicing instead of my own canopy. I am temporary in San Diego. No problem to drive couple of hundreeds of miles. Thanks in advance.

Long time no sea Ruslan glad to observe you finally on VAF. I am sure somebody still keeps those plastic leftovers. If I knew couple months ago... all discarded before moving.
How about couple pictures of your project?

The canopy is sufficiently oversized that you can easily practice on a corner without getting close to the "useful" part.

Greg

Greg, it is clear but what if crack will move towards center of canopy?

Vlad, Thanks for help. Project is still far from flying mainly because of extreme lazyness of builder.

Crabandy, thanks for offer. Your place is just 1545 miles from here. It is less then 24 hours drive for me. I'll defenitely keep it in mind.:D

I have an old Cessna 170 windshield you can have if you come and get it. It's only 1/8" thick but you could get some general practice cutting acrylic. I broke a big hole in it while removing it, but there's still plenty of real estate for practice.

If you're interested, I'll scare up a photo of it as is.

Ruslan, (is that your name?)

Like Greg said, there is enough extra meat on the canopy as you receive it that you can safely cut off a corner to practice on.

But if you'd still like to get some scrap to practice on for now, I have a few leftover trimmings that you are welcome to have. I'm in San Diego. Send me an email (email, not PM) if you'd like to come by.

-Roee

I did the canopy last summer in Northern California (hot). It's really no problem, as thousands of builders can say after doing it. Just make sure you work on it when it's 70-75 degrees F or higher. I used an oscillating cutting tool for less mess, but the rotary cutting disk works fine too. For the final shaping I used a PermaGrit sanding block, then finer sandpaper for the polishing. If you drill holes per Vans plans be sure to use a drill bit for plastic, and deburr the drilled hole. I tried several methods of deburring but can't remember what method I finally used...try different ways and examine your work with a 5x or 10x magnifier.

Ralph, I think about oscilating tool. I have it and use sometimes for different purposes. The question is - which head for this tool should I use. There are different. Thanks in advance for picture or link.

Back