What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Noise levels in the RV-12

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I've heard that RV's are noisy aircraft and was wondering if the RV-12 is better or worse than the C172 that I usually fly. Reason is I'm debating whether to upgrade my basic passive headset. It's reasonably OK for an hour or two, but if the -12 is noisier that the 172, I would get something better. Probably should anyway, but I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts on the subject.

Go for the ANR

RV-12's are noisey, in my opinion. The metal skins tend to transmit sound right into the cabin. There is no sound deadening material between you and the engine, or the outside world.

I bit the bullet and bought one of the new Bose headsets. When I turn on the ANR switch the noise reduction is startling! I have an older Flightcom Denali that we use in the right seat. It also works very well, but not quite as good as the Bose.

Get an ANR headset - you will not regret it.

To answer the original question, the RV12 is way quieter than a 172 !

When cruising at 4800 - 5000 you can hold a hats off conversation without too much difficulty.

In fact I think it is noisier on the ground with everything clattering and squeaking !

ANR headsets on any aeroplane will have a profound effect due to the broad spectrum background noise but unless the noise really gets on your bits then I would enjoy the noise of your mogas turning into fun :D

Robert, IMO the 12 is a noisy bugger. Dick did not build any provision for a speaker in any of his designs, so there you go. Regarding the ANR's, I have a pair of Peltor 7004 headsets (20 + years old) that I love. I just could not find ANR's that fit better. Just by accident I found that HEADSETS.com sells kits to retrofit many headsets to ANR. I bought a couple of kits and went to work. These kits are nice. Just a thought.

Zulu's

What better excuse do you need to buy a pair of Zulu's! You will end up saying, "where have you been all my life?"

Pete

ANR...YES

I already had hearing damage from noisy activities in my youth. Jet engines, two stroke motors with expansion pipes, rifle team, etc. Unless I'm mistaken, hearing damage also is cumulative from long exposure, so if you fly a lot even lower noise levels can be damaging. I decided early on to use Lightspeed zulus in the 12. Hopefully, someday when I am in my rocking chair I will still be able to enjoy the sound of classical music. If so, it will have been money well spent...no, it's already money well spent.

Added benefit, when my passenger turns on the ANR there is always a big smile and the experience is always a pleasant one for them.

Last edited:
Can't comment on the 12--ours isn't flying yet. I would still give a listen to QT Halo's. I really like them in my 9A, and have compared them to most ANRs. They work for me!

Bob

The 12 is louder than a Cherokee. I agree it is worse on theground than in the air. I use a lightspeed 3g and it helps a lot.

Seems to be some disagreement on the noise. Could it be some have the interior upholstery installed, and others do not?

Suggestion - -

Borrow different ones for a day. I bought new Zulu's, and have not been one bit sorry for doing so. I had an opportunity to fly another RV-12 recently, and he had Bose. Different, but you will never be sorry for buying good ANR headsets.

John Bender
330.7 hours

I've only been in one -12, twice, and didn't find the noise objectionable. I do know that my previous generation Bose, which worked so well in Cessnas, didn't seem to work well with the Rotax in my CT. Lockwood did a sampling of various headsets a couple of years ago, and concluded that, at the time, the Telex Stratus 50D did the best job in the Flight Design CT. I bought 2 sets and haven't regretted it yet. Since then there are other products that are probably better yet.

I don't think it's that the Rotax is noisier than others, just that the frequencies are different. Like Tony, I damaged my ears over time doing many of the activities he mentions. In those days nobody used hearing protection and not much was available anyway. Those of us who tried various devices were laughed at. Now we pay the price.

So, sample the various headsets, read the reports, and buy the best available for hearing protection with comfort being secondary. Most modern headsets are reasonably comfortable anyway and these days my butt wears out long before I get bothered by a headset. Once the ears age gone, they're gone and hearing aids don't correct the problem like glasses correct vision problems.

Here's something you should consider! If you have a decent passive headset like a Dave Clark, replace the existing module in it with an ANR one from here: http://www.headsetsinc.com/ The cost will be less than $200 including a hard-wire power module rather than a battery box that is standard.
I did this to my Dave Clark about 15 years ago and have been totally happy with it. Testing it in flight with friends with Bose headsets - no appreciable difference. Upgrade your passive set with some nice gel earcups too. No need to drop $800-$1000+ dollars.

Thanks everyone...

That's all very useful information and good advice. I have the full interior kit, so that should help to dampen some of the noise, but as I expect to fly the -12 a lot more than I fly rental aircraft, a headset upgrade has been added to the build list. In fact, think I'll elevate it to the Xmas list ;)

I advise try before you buy if possible. I have purchased no less than 5 headsets in the last two years. Two of them were ANR types, I was not impressed and resold them. My final choice is from this company: http://www.quiettechnologies.com/
None of the clamped on headache, great noice filtering, seem far better to me than the best ANR types, and you can wear a hat if youy wish..

Of all the posts on this topic, I haven't heard mentioned that you should also update the ear seals and interior noise absorbing material every couple of years. That stuff degrades over time and the cost to update is minimal. Also, If they offer optional gel ear seals, get the best ones you can get.

Seems to be some disagreement on the noise. Could it be some have the interior upholstery installed, and others do not?

I have the upholstry kit but still think the RV12 is rather noisey. But with the Bose, I feel like I am sitting in the recliner in the living room.

Back