What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREPs from OSH'10

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...a thread dedicated to updates from OSH'10 from the RVators there.

When I can, I'll post short updates from the field here. I'd encourage other folks at the show with laptops to do post their OSH'10 stories in this thread (or at least the URL to their OSH'10 photo albums). The point of this thread is to provide the folks who couldn't go a way to share in the experience.

Fly safe and best,
Doug

Rain, Mud

Drove through extremely heavy rain between Milwaukee and Fond Du Lac yesterday (Milwaukee airport was closed this morning due to water on runways). Reporter said 7 inches...

Rain quit just south of KOSH. A few sprinkles last night, but pretty dry overall. Aircraft parking areas and Camp Scholler are soaked, but beginning to dry out.

I'm camping in a tent and managed to find a piece of high(er) ground so I wasn't in a puddle.

KOSH was IFR this morning, but is now MVFR and improving.
Wind at 9 out of 220; ceiling is 1300 with good visibility underneath.

Front is to the south of us right now. Today's forecast is for more rain, but 48 hr forecasts look great.

I'm volunteering at Homebuilt HQ/Registration so say hi when you register,
Mike

Partly Cloudy!

Sun is breaking out! Field is still showing MVFR with 1100 overcast, but it's slowly starting to break up.

I cruised the Homebuilt Parking and Homebuilt Camping areas an hour ago. What passes for high ground is firm enough to taxi on...low areas are still real soggy.

I'll try to make another pass with the golf cart this evening.

Mike

Last edited:
Sun is breaking out! Field is still showing MVFR with 1100 overcast, but it's slowly starting to break up.

I cruised the Homebuilt Parking and Homebuilt Camping areas an hour ago. What passes for high ground is firm enough to taxi on...low areas are still real soggy.

I'll try to make another pass with the golf cart this evening.

Mike

Thanks for the update. On pins & needles for a Sunday arrival. We're fabricating our parking planks this evening.

Parking RVs

We've parked most models of RVs on the grass now (didn't see any RV3s yet, but all other models are on the field.

Still have soggy low spots but the "Follow Me" scooters are doing a good job finding the high spots. The parking crew has been issuing plywood pads to help keep wheels from sinking in.

Field is VFR, winds 240 at 8 knots, clear/ceiling unlimited. 84 F at 6pm.

Y'all come!
Mike

Last edited:
Rain, Mud (Deja Vu)

More rain last night...our current situation is that the field is accepting IFR, commercial and some warbird flights. Aircraft that are part of a vendor display are okay, they are diverting other inbound traffic including DC3 and C47.

No operations on the grass today.

Needless to say, the camp trails through Camp Scholler are very muddy and lots of standing water.

The good news: the weather is rapidly clearing so things can dry out (again).

EAA will make another assessment of grass conditions later today.

I'll add another note once we hear of any decisions.

Current weather: wind 180 at 10 knots, skys are clearing. Field is VFR (but see note above).

Mike

Last edited:
URL for official field conditions

http://www.airventure.org/aircraft/parking_status.asp
is the web address for the latest *official* word on field conditions. The current post has the time it was posted and the expected time of the next update. Maybe this link could find its way onto the VAF home page in a prominent location?

Glad I live with in driving distance...

Ed Wischmeyer

Driving to OSH

When are you going up Ed? We'll be there Monday afternoon through Thursday afternoon. Maybe we can catch up with you for dinner one night.

http://www.airventure.org/aircraft/parking_status.asp
is the web address for the latest *official* word on field conditions. The current post has the time it was posted and the expected time of the next update. Maybe this link could find its way onto the VAF home page in a prominent location?

Glad I live with in driving distance...

Ed Wischmeyer

Thanks Ed - that's a godsend because it seems like the phone message for camping conditions is down (or at least always busy when I try).

Since showplane camping is closed for now I'm going to stay at KFRM for the night and hopefully be able to fly in early tomorrow.

Paul and Louise reporting in at Sleepy Hollow (got here about noon) via 4Runner - and sorta glad we have 4WD. Went to Subway for lunch, and stopped at Target - seeing airplanes arriving in the pattern to 27, so they are putting them somewhere!

Lots of mud and the big Permit Lot in close is closed. About to go walk the grounds and see what we can see....

1740 Local Time Update

Louise and I just spent a couple of hours walking the grounds, from Scholler up through Area 51, and it is impressive how well the folks workign the field are doing! For a place that is "not parking anything on the grass" and has no place to put arrivals, they have a LOT of airplanes safely sitting on the grass, and not stuck up to their wheel pants. From Antiques/Classics up through Area 51, there are already a significant number of airplanes (yes, it still looks like a ghost town, but Oshkosh can swallow up hundreds of planes and still look empty...)

There are some flowing streams where there should be roads in Scholler, and "Lake Scholler" looks to have a lot of beach front property for sale - cheap! Folks have been doing some serious mud-bogging in places, but it has clearing done a lot of draining and drying already.

Don't let the early reports keep you away! I think it's going to be a great year - just might peak a little later than usual.

Paul

Louise & Paul's photos

We'll post our complete collection of photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/DrKarst/Oshhkosh2010#

IMG_0507.JPG

Camp Scholler - Bring your hip waders!

IMG_0510.JPG

Louise: "Nice water feature for a campground."
Paul: "It's a bug.....not a feature."​

whew - looks better than I expected. I'll fly in tomorrow at 9 and see how it goes (of course I'll also check the 9pm update on the eaa site)

A little confused....

Are they turning aircraft away from Osh? The parking status is not too clear about flying in or not. Planning on flying up in the morning assuming we can get in. Is Sleepy Hollow a swamp also? Need some intel from you guys already there!!

Thanks!
Robert

Arrived Today

Came in today around 4:00 PM and the weather was fine. They were accepting show planes, but the GA traffic had to go elsewhere. I ended up parking next to the the main taxiway along 36, just across from the airshow announcer's building. The plan current plan is to re-park aircraft Sunday AM at 8:00 to make way for the arrivals starting at 9:00. Sure is good to be here, even though Camp Scholler resembles the grounds at a tractor pull! :D

In My Motel Room in Mitchell, SD

We had the pre-race breifing tonight. There are around 60 experimental race planes here ready to launch for Oshkosh in the morning. Eric Whyte told us in the briefing that the situation and the plans are changing minute by minute as they remain flexible and try to cope with this situation. The current plan is to recover at Fond Du Lac and have the traditional group arrival on Monday instead of Sunday. Nothing happens to part of our merry band of aviators at Oshkosh that doesn't affect others so keep smilin' Jack this will give you something to talk about in your old age.

Bob Axsom
Race #71

ETB West Bend available

For those of you that are not able to get into OSH and would like to be near until the parking areas are open, my Wife (Sherri) and I are making ourselves available at West Bend (ETB). We both are on Vacation the entire week and travel back and forth just about every day. Sherri works as a Volunteer at the Airshow Medical Facility as an RN. I will be at ETB all day tomorrow working on the RV and waiting for a friend to fly in from Californina in his Pilatus. We also have and entire level of our Home available (Slinger WI) if anyone needs housing. Please call us if you need or would like to divert.

Dont let the SLOSH keep you away from the Best Show on Earth!

Call me on my Cell: 262-707-5980

Last edited:
SLOSHKOSH

I am waiting for the t-shirts with the saying " I survived Sloshkosh 2010". It is very soggy in the camp grounds, but in true EAA spirit, everyone is making the best of it. Weather is forecast to be good at least until Tuesday night, so it should not be much of a problem. I even have internet in my tent this year.

Heavy RV Parking

The EAA campground folks are parking the greyhound bus size recreational vehicles in vacant department store parking lots along US41. The have camps set up in the JC Penneys and Sears parking lots. There may be more that I didn't see. It looks like they have planned for sanitary facilities and security at these locations.

I'm in the Circle R campground, and they have problems also. The owners broke out a backhoe and dug holes in a few campsites to act as sumps to pump from. Some roads are closed. They may have some dry electic-only sites available.

Alternate Airport - MTW

Manitowoc County Airport has plenty of parking and will be arranging transportation to Oshkosh by way of busses starting tomorrow.

It's a very nice airport and they can support I believe, up too 400 airplanes.

You might want to contact Lakeshore Aviation for more details.

Mark Scheuer

Sunday Update

No rain last night...weather here at Osh is great this morning. Sunny with clouds over Lake Winnebago. Clear over the field.

We're told that there will be a meeting at 0630 today to assess conditions and decide where to park planes.

Several planes flew in yesterday only to be parked temporarily adjacent to/on taxiways. Some banged up wheelpants but not too bad overall. Pilots were informed to be at their planes at 0800 today for relocation instructions.

Official blogspot was set up at http://airventuresiteupdate.blogspot.com/ and should be updated at 0900 this morning.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em coming. I'm not too far away and will be wheels-up as soon as I hear that incoming flights are welcome. I'd rather wait than become part of the problem ...

Some Thoughts on Parking

All,
Field conditions are improving...and I'll try to update when we hear that we're parking airplanes again. The blogspot listed in earlier posts will have the "offical" word. Having said that:

Oshkosh has had record rainfall this month. The ground is like a sponge; some parts of the sponge (high spots) are drying out, while other parts (all the low spots) are soaked. It's been wet enough that the mowers haven't been able to cut the grass as short as in previous years.

If I were flying an RV here in the next day or two I would seriously consider stopping for fuel at an outlying field and removing my wheelpants (or leaving them at home).

As always, YMMV.

Hope to see all of you here,

Mike

The mud puddle that I had to wade through to get to the west showers has receeded and you can now walk through on dry ground. Ther's still plenty of tent camping available and the grounds are mostly dry except low spots. Today the temps will be in the low 80'sand no humidity with lots of sun. I'd say by tomorrow things will be looking great.

Sunday Update, Part 2

Aircraft parking crew is parking planes (lots of RVs) in both HBC and HBP areas now; all the pilots I chatted with were part of yesterday's arrivals.

Blogspot update at 8:15 shows no change with next update projected for 1200. It appears that they're clearing out the taxiways/moving yesterday's arrivals out of the way and will open things up later...

Previous grass comments still apply in my view...some pilots had acceptable taxi conditions and some hit the soft spots...no planes stuck so far.

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited:
I'm curious what's happening with this morning's arrivals? I'm sure that planes are starting to fill the sky (unless the airport is closed to arrivals), and wonder what they're doing with them.

I've tried calling the number that the EAA provided to get the current ATIS, but it's constantly busy.

I have visions of flying up there and then hearing, "Go away -- nobody's getting in, not nobody, not no how," like Dorothy and her fellow travelers at the gate to the Emerald City. :D

Wet OSH alt field option

Galt Airport 10C is due south of OSH and about 30-40mins flight time.

Great field, lots of room, cheap fuel $3.69? during OSH, historic old field and a camp ground if you have gear. Local EAA chapter on field is cooking I think.

Only for the hardy for overnight since there are no hotels close. You might get a hotel to pick you up though? I'd call the field or the hotel on that one.

Dont think they have an airport car.

I have a hangar there but no plane anymore.

Restaurants are a haul but they deliver to the field!

Hope it dries up at OSH soon it's wet here too but Galt has lots of pavement for parking.

Ask for Justin the MGR, he almost never leaves, and sign the log book as VAF if you think about it.

I've been trying to get them to do more around OSH since they are so close yet just far enough from ORD airspace or the traffic that last 30-40.

Good place to stop, think, review make a pit stop ;) and finish the last leg or fuel up cheap on the way home.

I love the place and I'm just a renter. Rosie thought it was one of the coolest little airports he ever saw when he came. They even wrote a book about it.

Last year the EAA Museum was featuring photos taken of the place.

Give it a try if you need to, if I can make it out I might see some of you.

Fly safe and keep this one in that back up plan. Trust me on this one.

It might not be there a few years from now if home building comes back so don't let it be like Meigs and fly over it but never stop.

I never got to Meigs and I live 30 miles from where it was so I know.

Fly safe all.

Sunday Update, Part 3

Osh has been handling arrivals...but both Oshkosh and Fond du Lac are now closed to new arrrivals (see blogspot link above).

Saw Danny King and Chris Pratt along with our crew from Lees Summit. One plane on dry(er) ground next to the other sinking in a bit...

Many RVs on the field now. Weather is still clear and sunny.

Mike

Last edited:
I'm here...

Got in just fine. Easy approach - not crowded at all since they were not letting non-show planes land.

At the dorms now getting settled in. Looking forward to that first glass of Spotted Cow down the street at Kelly's.

More later...must drink beer now.

b,
d

Hi ya'll,

I too arrived this morning at 8:40 (Thank you Jeff and others who posted condition reports). Very few people arriving then and they led my straight to homebuilt camping. The ground is wet but really not bad at all now (in HBC).

My tent is near the end of row 309 (by the ice shed) - it has good wifi coverage and free beer for any VAF members. ;-) Look for the black/white checker tail - N72KH.

Yay!

Doug sighting confirmed

Just observed High Commander at the registration. He has sharp memory:D

OSH Closed for today

By the time I got to Ripon (about 3PM), both OSH and FDL were closed to ALL arrivals. So like everyone else, I diverted to ATW. And let me tell you, it was the wild west getting in there. Everytime the tower controller took a breath, two or three people were stepping on each other to get a word in.

I found myself on short final with no clearance and no opportunity to get a clearance. So one 360 got the controllers attention. But he gave me a LAHSO clearance which required another 360 to slow down for the short field.

So they sent us all out to the back 40 for parking. Miles from the FBO. Took about an hour for them to get a bus out to us. Finally on the shuttle to OSH.

No complaints. Everyone's taking it in stride. And the FBO is peddling as fast as they can to accommodate.

-Matt
402BD

Vlad, I am soooo jealous!!

Find me a -6A or low priced -7A for sale and post lots of pics. I fear the plane of my dreams (in Washington) has eluded me. Now I have to find another!!!

Waiting in line at the dorm registration center....there stands Vlad. My Russian buddy!!!! Small world.

It is, when the whole world comes to Oshkosh! Except me :(:(:(

Keep the pictures coming, team, those of us who can't make the pilgrimage are living vicariously ...

Kermit and I arrived at 11am and were tied down by 11:30. Field was closed to Gen Av (no parking around 09-27) unless hard parking reservation was secured. Very little parking in the normal homebuilt parking areas, many planes parked along the taxi ways.

RV parking is generally good since the two fields are amoung the highest on the field, although still spotted with low wet areas. We managed to get on the first row of the second (westerly) RV lot. Arrivals seemed very spotty throughout the afternoon. Falcon flight was due in the pm, but had not arrived by 5pm as I left.

Stopped by Van's tent and visited with Joe. General area around the tent is wet with mud stained grass. They are trying to lay down cardboard in the tent. Other vendors were working hard with some wood mulch being laid down. The area is drying rapidly in the sun...hopefully little rain for the rest of the week.

Boy, its good to get back to OSH after missing last year due to major foot operation. I've been coming since '71 and may just come a week early next year...

Well, have to finish this beer in the Reeve's common and move on down to Kelly's to see if Doug is still there...

Not bad at Osh

Today was a pretty easy day! Got the Sky-Tec booth all setup and then decided to cruise the grounds to see what's going on. The weather has been outstanding today. Just wish the fields were a little drier. Many great looking RV's are here. I think I snapped a picture of them all. Met Doug as he pulled through aeroshell square on the way to the garmin booth. His plane looks incredible.

Sitting over at the Hilton Inn on the north side now resting my feet. Thank goodness for the shuttles.

I think it's beer time now!!

P.S. Sunscreen Advised. I'm burnt!

Last edited:
Not quite the day I expected, but a good one anyway

We had a completely laid back day today. A pass through the Fly Market where my wallet was lightened, a couple visits to chat with our friends in the Vans tent, a little time helping set up the NPS area in the Federal Pavillion, and lots of walking. More photos added to the Picasa site.

I guess the highlight of our day was visiting the seaplane base. Oddly, there is NO signs or directions leading you to the site. Mostly dead-reckoning. But, a wonderful site to visit.

IMG_0516.JPG

Paul has always told me that he wants to grow up to be like Bob Collins!

At the Van's tent:
IMG_0541.JPG

This incipient RV-12 was built by Van's elves and put on display to gage customer interest in a very quick-built kit. Since the 51% rule doesn't apply to E-LSA, one may be able to purchase a mostly assembled RV from the factory in the future. Estimated cost? $14,000 above current kit price.

IMG_0539.JPG

Planes on the frontline were a little sparse today. All the larger planes were lined up on the taxiway on the left of the photo.​

Oh yeah, all our photos are at: http://picasaweb.google.com/DrKarst/Oshkosh2010#

Intel needed

I have some VAFers stranded at an airport 15 minutes from OSH. If anyone can venture a guess they would like to know what the chances of opening up the grass area for parking in the morning is. They want to launch early.

Thanks for any help I can relay.

We were two planes after the last one that got past the Fisk gatekeepers. We were turned away. "the field is completely closed". We ended up at Fond Du Lac with probably a thousand other planes. Took the bus to kosh. We might try our luck at repositioning tomorrow.

I have some VAFers stranded at an airport 15 minutes from OSH. If anyone can venture a guess they would like to know what the chances of opening up the grass area for parking in the morning is. They want to launch early.

Thanks for any help I can relay.

IF and I say IF you are in an RV aircraft, I would bet that there is a good chance you WILL get in if you are in in line the first HOUR when the airport opens.

I got out of my airplane in Area 51 (RV parking) at 11 AM today. I left the my airplane at 1400 local time today. When I left, there was still room in the area for parking. Jeff Point is the guy to tell you how many spaces are left as he is in CHARGE of the area.

We were two planes after the last one that got past the Fisk gatekeepers. We were turned away. "the field is completely closed". We ended up at Fond Du Lac with probably a thousand other planes. Took the bus to kosh. We might try our luck at repositioning tomorrow.

OK, we're sad that your airplane is at FDL, but the real question is ARE THE COOKIES SAFE?!?!?!? :D

Cookies are safe

Cookies are safe, although half were already devoured during our trip through the grounds last night. I'll be packing today until they find their final demise. Hopefully the rest will arrive today by air RV.

Tanya

Monday Update #1

Nothing but dew last night and it's clear and sunny at OSH.

Conditions are improving...but expect the field to open and close as needed today to manage traffic on the ground.

The AirVenture blogspot Aircraft Parking Status: posted Monday, July 26th at 6:45 AM CDT. The next update is planned for 9 AM Monday.

"Field Status

Wittman Regional Airport (OSH) was closed Sunday afternoon to all types of arriving aircraft. These areas will remain closed when the airport would normally open Monday for arrivals at 7 AM. Crews are evaluating the grounds, starting at sunrise. The first priority will be to clear Taxiway Papa (parallel and west of Runway 18/36), which has been used for temporary parking. Homebuilts and vintage aircraft are parked there and also on Taxiway P-2. Some other areas are also being considered in case additional temporary parking is needed.

The current plan is to open aircraft parking and camping areas at times on Monday when ground conditions are suitable. The planned times will be announced Monday after the morning evaluation of the parking areas.

Fond du Lac (FLD) is also closed.

As of Sunday night, Appleton (ATW) was still accepting parking aircraft; camping is not allowed at Appleton.

Aircraft seeking camping or parking are being accepted at Manitowoc (MTW)."

Good luck to all,
Mike

Back