What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many RV9/9A meeting LSA requirements

OldBob

I'm New Here
I have seen some old threads discussing a couple RV9/A being built light and registered as ELSA. I was wondering if many more have been registered EAB and meeting the LSA requirements?

I have seen some old threads discussing a couple RV9/A being built light and registered as ELSA. I was wondering if many more have been registered EAB and meeting the LSA requirements?

The aircraft you are talking about were certificated as ELSA during the time that 2 seat ultralights were able to be grandfathered into ELSA. During this time a LOT of "rule stretching" was going on.

I know I'll get flamed for this but I, personally, have never seen an RV-9 that honestly qualified as light-sport aircraft. The aircraft misses on more than one parameter.

Thanks Mel

I know I'll get flamed for this but I, personally, have never seen an RV-9 that honestly qualified as light-sport aircraft. The aircraft misses on more than one parameter.

Highlighted the important word there.

My RV-9A was originally registered as an "Ultralight" in Australia, with a 600Kg (1320Lb) regulatory MTOW, and I was religious about sticking to it until I re-registered it VH- to get the higher MTOW a couple years ago.

With the OX-340, it would fail LSA rules on cruise speed, even without any gear fairings, she'd get along at around 125KTAS, with maximum speed being around 150KTAS, IIRC. Yes, you could have the prop pitched to give you 3,000FPM+ rate of climb to trade cruise speed, but, realistically, it is not a 2 "adult" seater.

I could get Me + just-under-full tanks, Me + Mini-Me + half tanks, or Me + the KRviatrix and enough fuel to taxi to the bowser to refuel to taxi back to the hangar...:p That suited my mission until it didn't, and the rego was swapped over.

FWIW, my original BEW was 445Kg or 981.5Lbs for those who haven't embraced SI units yet....;)

Back