What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan x340

Kmdpilot

Anyone buy the continental for their 9? What was the cost? Trying to create a build budget and it is stupid how hard it is to find the cost of an engine on the web. All I get is a huge range that is useless or info from 2017 which is obsolete. The last several years have wreaked havoc on the price of everything with crazy inflation. I will be a by the book builder and not customizing anything.
Thanks for any input.

Don’t have a current price but can tell you it’s a fantastic engine. Have ~750 hours on ours and absolutely love it. 180hp for the weight of an io-320 can not be beat.

I have this same engine on my 9, 300 hours in the last 2 years. Fuel injection has been a bit of a learning curve to get it to idle as smooth as I want (my own fault, not engines), but the engine itself has ran flawless, no oil leaks, the engine comes painted like artwork (not someone with a rattle can waving it in the general engine direction). Paint still looks awesome. I would buy another without hesitation.

I paid mid 28k 3 years ago, dual pmag. That number with the current economy is probably not very valid now.

Why not call Titan and find out?

James K. Ball (J.B.) 251.436.8122
+1! Unlike buying a washing machine at your local Lowe’s and never being able to talk to the manufacturer, we have the luxury in this experimental world of being able to pick up the phone and often talk to the guy or gal who actually built our stuff. Call them and ask your questions of the manufacturer!

Oh, and by the way, 700+ hours on my IO340 in my 9A!

My invoice was, IIRC, $25,504USD back in 2014 or so, for an OX-340S-B4J4N4, the suffixes denoting EI, low compression pistons (still get 165HP) and 14mm plug bosses.

I've had exactly 2 issues with it, both ignition related - the plug lead came off the back of the terminal post on the left Pmag during Phase 1 and last month, had rough running on rotation, traced to the #3 plug lead failing open circuit. Neither of which can be called an actual "engine" fault.

For an RV-9, it's the next best engine after a Rotax 915!

Anyone buy the continental for their 9? What was the cost? Trying to create a build budget and it is stupid how hard it is to find the cost of an engine on the web. All I get is a huge range that is useless or info from 2017 which is obsolete. The last several years have wreaked havoc on the price of everything with crazy inflation. I will be a by the book builder and not customizing anything.
Thanks for any input.

Hey, I'm Jim Ball (J.B.), the Titan guy at Continental and I can help configure an engine to your requirements and quote. Prices and lead times have gone way up, though. I'll be in Weds through Friday of this week then off to OSH for a week. I'll have my cell phone with me throughout and can always be reached at 251 295 3786. We have a lot of options. Figure on around 36K for carbureted, and 41K for fuel injected. Lead time, don't shoot the messenger, 6-8 months...……..

Hey, I'm Jim Ball (J.B.), the Titan guy at Continental and I can help configure an engine to your requirements and quote. Prices and lead times have gone way up, though. I'll be in Weds through Friday of this week then off to OSH for a week. I'll have my cell phone with me throughout and can always be reached at 251 295 3786. We have a lot of options. Figure on around 36K for carbureted, and 41K for fuel injected. Lead time, don't shoot the messenger, 6-8 months...……..

Thanks Jim! That is exactly what I was looking for. No worries on lead time since I am just in the budgeting stage. But with how fast everything is going up lately, a budget might not even make it half a year these days.
Thanks for the info and I'll be in touch when I get closer.

Back