What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plasma III spark plugs?

Carlos151

Well Known Member
Friend
Anyone running different spark plugs with their Plasma III ignition system than the recommended Denso plugs?

The Denso IK24 plugs have the screw on tips that I find loose when I check them at every oil change. I would like a fixed tip like the NGK 3961 or NGK 6747 that are used with the P-mag systems.

I'm running the NGKs. Have for years. Throw away at annual though they're probably good for years.

Ed Holyoke

Poor memory but I seem to remember that there are two types of the same plug. The ones Claus supplies don?t have threaded ends and he warn if you purchase elsewhere to make sure what you purchase doesn?t have screw on ends.

The ones Claus supplies don?t have threaded ends and he warn if you purchase elsewhere to make sure what you purchase doesn?t have screw on ends.

Actually I got mine from him and they have the threaded tips. His solution is to crimp them slightly. That works for a while but they eventually come loose. Thread lock is not recommended since it would act as an insulator. After upgrading the opposite magneto to a P-mag with the solid tip NGK plugs I thought I would give them a try with the Plasma III. Just wanted to run it by the Vans brain trust before pulling the trigger.

The last set of IK27's I bought from Klaus were solid tops; not threaded.

Don't see those on his website other than the long reach 27 plugs. I need the short plugs. Even checked with Denso and the standard iridium IK24 plugs have the screw tips.

PIII Plugs

Howdy Karl,

Just like Ed, I have been running the NGK BR8ES (3961-solid tip) plugs with my PIII system for 8 years. Since the plugs are inexpensive, I simply replace them at each annual. I buy them in bulk from Rock Auto.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db

Last edited:
Thanks Ed. Are you running the standard NGK 3961 plugs or the iridium 6747?

No point in iridium at mucho dinero. The gaskets are really only designed to be used once so I just replace the plugs at annual. I suppose I could leave one set in (dual Plasma 3) since I only need to remove one set for compression test but I usually just replace them all.

Ed Holyoke

No point in iridium at mucho dinero. The gaskets are really only designed to be used once so I just replace the plugs at annual. I suppose I could leave one set in (dual Plasma 3) since I only need to remove one set for compression test but I usually just replace them all.

Ed Holyoke

Thanks Ed. Just ordered the standard plugs. Same ones I?m using with the E-mag on the other side so that?ll keep it simple. I also much prefer the solid tips as opposed to crimping the screw on tips. I?m all over the menos dinero option :D

Back