What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sault St Marie, Michigan

RKellogg

Well Known Member
Last month we flew up to Sault St Marie, MI, from our base near Chicago, had a great time! We like to find destinations that are walkable. We landed at Sanderson Airport, walked to hotel, walked to riverfront and locks, walked to boat tour (great fun!), walked to restaurant overlooking the locks, walked to hotel, walked to airport. The boat tour went through the locks, up and back, and did a side tour through a steel mill slip, very interesting for technical guys, co-pilot didn't appreciate it as much. Felt good to sit down for a while. Scenic lakeshores, simple airspace, no rental car needed. Mission accomplished!

- Roger

Why to waste time driving

95% of my destinations include interesting places to see and amenities within walking distance. I just bookmarked another one thank you Roger!

Sault Ste Marie

Should have come over to the good side of the border. 😄

We could have gone to the Bush Plane museum, give me a heads up and I'll pick you up. It's well worth the trip across the river.

Terry

A few years back, the annual Michigan Air Tour started in Sault St. Marie. Essentially the same you did, dinner cruise through the locks, motels and city within walking distance, etc. The next day, the tour left for visits to 9 other airports, all in the UP, over 3 days. Hard to believe that the distance from Detroit to Houghton is farther than Detroit to Atlanta. The Bush Plane Museum is well worth the trip, although it's in Canada so be prepared with customs stickers and passport. If you fly in the UP, be prepared with emergency stuff, flight plans, and all other precautions. It is miles and miles of nothingness except trees and lakes.

I graduated from college in Sault Saint Marie, LSSC. in 1976. It is a wonderful place when you can catch one of the few nice days. The fall colors are beautiful there! I love and miss the Soo even though it has been so long ago. Met my wife there. Your pictures brought back many good memories

Lake Superior WX

Dale, the WX was splendid, as evidenced in the pix. Sorry to hear that it isn't always that nice. Was hoping that there was a perpetually sunny northern paradise just three hours north of Chicago...

Looked out over the lake and thought, "The Edmund Fitzgerald is just 20 miles out there..." The weather must have been quite different that night.

Back