What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-Oshkosh trips?? Where are you flying?

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
After 7 yrs of osh, this is the first year I wont be going. 5 years of driving while building, 2 years flying in. Not really sad, just had enough and its lost its magic now that I am done and dont have any shopping or research to do. I really enjoy other things now for the same vacation time and money spent.

Just wondered who else is taking the time off and heading elsewhere? Kind of an anti kosh trip if that can be said without being flamed? :confused:

Will likely do some touring around michigan, spend a few nights at different airports exploring unknown areas to me. Just wondered who else is in the same boat, and what you are doing to burn avgas and $$.

After 6 consecutive years of flying to AirVenture, myself and two buddies took our RVs to Johnson Creek, Idaho this year instead of Oshkosh. (trip/photo thread at http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=101185) It may be a little late in the summer seaon for JC however... all the experienced folks we spoke with recommended not going much later than the first week of July due to getting too hot, density altitude issues, etc. Early June is too cold, mid June is usually perfect. We got there June 20th and were told it was a bit unseasonably cold that weekend we were there, still I enjoyed it very much.

I still might go to Oshkosh this year for Friday-Sunday of the closing weekend, but haven't decided for certain or not.

Last edited:
My hangar mate and I, and our wives, are flying our RV-7's over to Branson, MO for a three day weekend. The wekend and a couple of shows will be less than last years trip to OshKosh in my RV-7A.

A lot is changing in EAA. If it turns out to be for the better then next year we will probably drop the girls off at Mall of America while we go to 'Kosh.

I've been there at least a couple days for each of the last 4 years, and I flew in for the first last time last year and camped in HBC.

I wish I was going, but this year it just doesn't seem like it is going to happen. It isn't that I'll even miss the show itself, although it is always interesting, but more the general hanging out and sense of community.

My wife and I will be in Minneapolis during the pre-KOSH weekend, and will head back the Denver on the Monday the convention starts. We have a graduation party to attend Sunday afternoon/evening in Minneapolis. It would be easy to put my wife on a plane back to Denver and just head to the party, but I have some obligations I just can't shake for the week.

I think this will be an interesting show, and well worth attending:

http://www.warbirdsandlegends.org/

It's in Topeka on Aug 2-4.

That's where I'll be! I've flown my RV to OSH 4 years out of the past 7; I'd like to go again this year, but the opportunity came up to do this Topeka warbird fly-in with my local CAF wing... I can't do both events or the wife would kill me, so Topeka wins.

I'll be flying copilot seat on the olive drab CAF Lockheed C-60 Lodestar (Houston based); it should be a quite an event for any Lockheed geeks... planned to have 3 PV-2 Harpoons, 1 military and 2 civvy Lodestars, 1 L12 Electra, plus the C-121 Connie at the museum there. I'll do OSH again next year...

Working.

....killing stinkbugs in cotton at 140 MPH and 8' above the crop, while the cash register wears itself out:)

Sometimes you just have to miss Osh.

Best,

Driving with the wife to a golf resort in Northern Michigan. Never been to OSH, but make SNF and Sebring every year since at that time of the year they are both almost in our backyard.

OSH +

Instead of avoiding OSH I've got a fly out trip planned during. Heading on a clockwise trip around Lake Michigan on Tue / Wed. Over Green Bay with a stop in Door County for lunch, continue over UP into Mackinac Is for a one night stand. Next day down the east side with a shoreline run by Chicago and back to OSH. Sightseeing will include sports stadiums (Lambeau, Notre Dame, US Cellular, Soldiers Field, Wrigley, Miller Park). Anything for an excuse.

On the way out will start with Mile High and Coors field picking up my son. Return will add Busch stadium & Edward Jones dome in STL.

In response to the previous post about Johnson Creek, late Aug is fine and mid Sept great.

Heavy iron

John, I'll look you up at the Gathering. I'll be flying a Stearman, and would love to hear what you think about flying the heavy iron. I love those big Lockheed birds!

Matthew

This will be my 28th year and looking forward to 28 more. I wouldn't miss the experience. Always something new to add to my wish list.

Flying to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally this year, Oshkosh again in 2014.

Last edited:
Adventure

Rick,
Here's a little adventure for you. Take a trip to CYFB. You won't be the first RV to visit there, but it would be a short list. Trip of a lifetime I am told.

Bryson City, NC

Finished Phase I on July 2 and headed for TN and NC with the wife on the 3rd. My 91 year old Mom lives with big sis in Jackson, TN. Took her up for a short hop which she seemed to enjoy although getting in and out was not easy. Flew on to Asheville and spend 4 days in Bryson City, NC in a mountainside cabin. Stayed high most of the way due to heat, clouds and terrain and wife, Nancy, did great. I'm super pleased with the 6A, and loved being able to fly from Asheville to Baton Rouge in just 4.5 hours with plenty of reserve fuel. You meet some really nice and interesting people at small airports. One of the best and most relaxing trips we've taken.

that just sounds like sooooo much fun!
I pretend to do that in my RV; swoop down "low" and holler "spray spray spray"...

....killing stinkbugs in cotton at 140 MPH and 8' above the crop, while the cash register wears itself out:)

Sometimes you just have to miss Osh.

Best,

Flying to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally this year, Oshkosh again in 2014.

I've always wondered about trying that... do you land at Black Hills or Sturgis Muni? How's the aircraft parking situation?

Is it impossible to obtain ground transportation unless you pre-plan it first with friends bringing ground transpo to pick you up?

Is flying into there as much of a nuthouse as riding there on a bike?

I rode up there once on my HD Sportster in 1996 and stayed in the Glencoe campground with some friends. Some people flew into the campground in a helicopter, landed there and camped next to their aircraft. Everybody thought they must be rich or something. I've always wondered if you could land at the campground in something like a Supercub or other STOL bushplane, if permission could be obtained... there was definitely room enough and enough flat ground space to physically accomplish that on the north side of the campground when I was there in '96... dunno what it's like there now.

Last edited:
Back