What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

voltage regulator

I bought an alternator from mark landoll years ago. it has an external regulator. i installed it as per marks instructions which i have since misplaced. on my last flight the voltage meter pegged on 16 volts. i guess the voltage regulator quit regulating. i can not contact mark as his number is no longer a working number. does anyone know what kind of regulator he used? it is 1 7/8 by 1 12 by 3/8. i think the alternator is good. anyone with suggestions contact
steve price
[email protected]
901-277-7835

I bought an alternator from mark landoll years ago. it has an external regulator. i installed it as per marks instructions which i have since misplaced. on my last flight the voltage meter pegged on 16 volts. i guess the voltage regulator quit regulating. i can not contact mark as his number is no longer a working number. does anyone know what kind of regulator he used? it is 1 7/8 by 1 12 by 3/8. i think the alternator is good. anyone with suggestions contact
steve price
[email protected]
901-277-7835

Steve,

A regulator that is very common on RVs with externally regulated Nippon Denso alternators is the VR166. You can get it or a compatible one by asking for a regulator for a 1975 Ford LTD at your local auto parts store. I've been flying these regulators for 13 years and they work great.

Thanks Sam
I am sure that that reg will work. I was looking for the one mark used that would fit in place of the old one. Will try the starter, generator shop down the street Tuesday. Sure did want to go to the lady tail-dragers fly-in this weekend but so be it
Thanks again
Steve

I just wen't through this.
If you are looking for the VR-1751, The New number you can find it under is VSH-6201JY

I found it at Motor City Reman Online OR Ebay

over voltage protection ?

For those of you using the VR166 (or something compatible) did you also install OV protection?

I'm debating whether to install the used 35 amp Nippondenso unit that came with the O-360 I bought or just buy a new 60 amp Plane Power alternator from Van's with built in OV protection and not worry about it.

Doug
RV-7
Wiring

For those of you using the VR166 (or something compatible) did you also install OV protection?

I'm debating whether to install the used 35 amp Nippondenso unit that came with the O-360 I bought or just buy a new 60 amp Plane Power alternator from Van's with built in OV protection and not worry about it.

Doug
RV-7
Wiring

I have the 35a alternator with VR166 regulator.

I installed the Crowbar Overvoltage Module from AeroElectric Connections. You can find it on this page (keep scrolling down):

https://matronics.com/aeroelectric/Catalog/AECCatalog.html

Easy to install and the system in use since the plane was new in 1999.

Last edited:
Back