Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Yes that is the case, at least in Canada. At first glance this does not seem to be a desirable situation, but long term stats have not shown there to be any significant issues. At least that is my understanding.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Anyone can maintain/work on an experimental and sign for it, a repairman certificate or A/P is required only for the condition inspection.

It is kinda scary sometimes

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post
Are you saying that anyone can buy a completed Experimental aircraft in the US and Canada and do all of their own maintenance despite possibly having zero understanding of aircraft systems....and then go and fly that aircraft, possibly IFR in controlled airspace.

If that is the case then it seems to me to be an amazing situation. It certainly isn't the situation here in Australia. Over here you need to have built at least 51% of an Experimental aircraft to be able to fully maintain it and do condition inspections.
Yes, that is the case here in Canada. And people can work on their own cars too, and then drive them at high speed only a few feet away from other vehicles, pedestrians, buildings, etc, with with no medical requirements either.

I've never figured out why we go over the top on general aviation regulation, but just accept a certain loss rate when it comes to automobiles.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Horton View Post
Yes, that is the case here in Canada. And people can work on their own cars too, and then drive them at high speed only a few feet away from other vehicles, pedestrians, buildings, etc, with with no medical requirements either.

I've never figured out why we go over the top on general aviation regulation, but just accept a certain loss rate when it comes to automobiles.
+1

From what I understand - in Autralia, even if you've built ultralights and experimental aircraft in the past - but haven't built the one you just bought, you wouldn't be able to maintain you own aircraft even if you have the skills and knowledge to do it per that 51% rules. Taken this way....it's a stupid law.

Still, what I would like to see one day is a mecanical certificate - same as the radio operator certificate, that would enable someone to get the basic knowledge to legaly maintain their own aircraft. This could be a 5 day group course or something like that... which would cover the basics...Engine, fuel system, electric system, control and hardware...
Old 02-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
This could be a 5 day group course or something like that... which would cover the basics...Engine, fuel system, electric system, control and hardware...
And to think I wasted 6 1/2 years at an aviation university. Wow, I could'a had a V8.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerhed View Post
And to think I wasted 6 1/2 years at an aviation university. Wow, I could'a had a V8.
Don't know what you meant by that message, but I obviously was talking about basic maintenance knowledge that experimental and ultralight owners would greatly benefit from. A form of recognition of competence that would enable you to maintain a relatively simple aircraft yourself.

Not talking about learning all the intricate workings of a PT6 turbine over a weekend....

Anyway, back on track....
Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 PM

Just kidding around, but I think your idea might work if it was specific instruction on a specific plane. I don't know how you'd deal with alterations and repairs and such. As a side note, a US mechanic can't bust open an instrument or a prop, etc. while a homebuilder can do so without thinking twice.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Yep, that's very weird too... I guess we should all enjoy the freedom we have as experimental owners...! ....or "expert-or-mental" airplane owners...
Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Horton View Post

Kevin, you make a good point and I agree with you. I've argued the same point myself.

But in the end I think commonsense dictates that it comes down to the type of flying we do. Surely if we have the privilege of sharing controlled airspace with high capacity RPT it stands to reason that there needs to be some basic controls in place in terms of flying skills, medical condition, and aircraft maintenance.

Outside of controlled airspace I personally don't think it matters. In that environment people in recreational aviation should be basically free to take whatever risks they assess to be personally reasonable (as they do with their automobiles).

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 02-06-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeed View Post
Yep, that's very weird too... I guess we should all enjoy the freedom we have as experimental owners...! ....or "expert-or-mental" airplane owners...
I think you do just fine with English... better than most natives in these Oklahoma parts! You are also helping some of us neophyte builders who have much less knowledge and experience learn from the master builders on the forum! Keep up the good work y'all!

Roger Pierce
Tulsa, OK
RV-10 fuselage (still)