What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Operation "Triangle"

Vlad

Well Known Member
The trip was well planned, I spent couple days charting it. Asked several questions and got couple nice suggestions. The main purpose was to visit the longest runway in my vicinity and take a look at fall colors in neighbouring states.

Triangle.png

To Lockheed people brief hello, long preflight and up we go. Little boats were still sleeping.

leg11.jpg

But the big one was already awake.

leg12.jpg

Met a friendly Skyhawk they were enjoying the view if you know the guy tell him to contact me I have couple really good pictures of him.

skyhawkoverHudson.jpg

ATC probably thought I was on operation "Rectangle" and gave me this code. Next time I will be geometrically more articulate.

leg13.jpg

Smoky river.

leg14.jpg

An alien ship was visiting Albanians. Do you see the flying saucer by those skyscrapers?

leg15.jpg

Mini Niagara Falls.

niagarafallsmini.jpg

Deeper into the Adirondack Mountains my countrymen organized a colony according to iPad. You can see New Russia on the sectional.

leg18.jpg

The same on the ground.

NewRussia.jpg

Plenty of emergency landing spots left and right.

leg17.jpg

leg7.jpg

First leg was almost over lots of concrete was in sight.

plattsburgs1.jpg

My CFI would be proud of me I did exactly I was taught. Got weather, favorable runway, 45 degrees entry, all classic... then out of nowhere a kerosene burner on long final opposite direction of course. 10 mile runway probably good for 12 kt tailwind I dunno. Kerosene burner captain was very nice, asked if they could squeeze in. Sure they can garage built airplanes are in no rush.

leg111.jpg

I love three sixties. Watched a nascar

Plattsburgh2.jpg

Examined closed runway

closedairport.jpg

even found something nuclear looking

storage.jpg

The burner exited with many thanks, my turn. This runway is HUGE and can accommodate a space shuttle.

hugerunway.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

Last time I visited such a massive facility thirty some years ago on the other side of the globe.

p2.jpg

Impressive.

pl1.jpg

Those kerosene burners surface out of nowhere. This one was using upwind runway.

burner.jpg

Look who is here.

pl4.jpg

pl5.jpg

My RV was given royal treatment. As first time customer I received 50 cents/gallon discount on fuel. They have very nice pilot lounge. Definitely I will be back in February. Let me introduce Kathy and Jason of Sheltair.

staff.jpg

p3.jpg

Nice report Vlad. I could not help but notice the private airport on the screen shot of the sectional named "***-Pirin".
I'll bet there is a story there!

Nuclear stuff was actually old munition bunkers...probably inactive. B-52s used to run on that runway.

If you went to Maine...where are lobsters?

vlad, it was truly an awesome weekend of w nice wx. what day did you go? flew the chopper a lot and got some nice shots too. headed home to stuart fl in the morning. see you in november. keep in touch on the dates. try to be there on a wednesday so we can fly to sebring.

flew 200 nm from hartford ct to newport vt and back. that put us at the canadian border, along lake memphremagog, at the east side resturant & pub, lz parking lot. awesome day flying. enjoy the colors.

the two movies may take a while to load.
http://gallery.mac.com/edarcy#100669&bgcolor=black&view=grid

http://gallery.mac.com/edarcy#100677/MVI_0081&bgcolor=black

http://gallery.mac.com/edarcy#100677/MVI_0082&bgcolor=black

Last edited:
Between my screen resolution and my eyes I couldn't see on the map where you went. Where were the big runway and munitions bunker at? NH, Maine, upstate?

I was stationed in upstate for 4 years at the Grif in Rome NY. Beautiful country.

Turbo, those galleries seem to be unavailable...

Thanks,

Bob

Turbo, those galleries seem to be unavailable...

Thanks,

Bob[/QUOTE]

bob, i think i got it fixed.

ATLAS Missile Silo Home

Long runway is Plattsburgh, NY.
There are also old missile silos around that old base which is now the Plattsburgh Airport (public).
One of the old missile silo sites has been converted to a residential airpark. check this out!

http://www.silohome.com/

Memories

Ah, that flight brings back many memories from long ago when I learned to fly in VT and lived in MA. Flew all over VT, NH, MA, CT, RI and parts of NY. Never got to land on those long runways then, but now regularly visit the old Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda, MI, KI Sawyer in MI's UP. You can do 3 stop and goes without changing direction once. Long taxi back though.

Vlad -Turbo

Keep me posted when Vlad makes it to Florida for Sebring breakfast. I'll have the flu that Wednesday and join you.

Vlad,

So sorry we missed you up in Rangeley! We arrived only 2 hours after you left!

Maybe next year I will have an RV fly-in up there! It is a really cool place!

I have room for about 8 people if anyone wants to spend the night.

:) CJ

Nuclear stuff was actually old munition bunkers...probably inactive. B-52s used to run on that runway.

If you went to Maine...where are lobsters?

Tony, That is 8B0 (Rangeley, Maine). I have a little house there. You must come and visit.

Tip: Don't eat seafood west of route 1!

When you come here to my house in KPYM (Plymouth, MA) we can hook you up with seafood!

When will you be visiting!?! Bring Russki with you!

;) CJ

CJ, very soon I hope. I surely don't want to visit after it gets too cold. The "spy" always has excuses to avoid good trips (KGB has limited surveillance funds) but I will try to get him up there. We are doing a local flight tomorrow....I was hoping to go to Long Island but he has other plans.

Thanks guys Plattsburgh is a nice place indeed. There is a write up by Louise couple years ago.

Strange things are in the ether after departure. Lots of communication in French. I studied the language for couple years but could not understand a thing. If I go to Canada do I need to study again? I am not good at it anymore.

leg21.jpg

Turned my way toward Lobstah Country to get one for my cousin.

leg22.jpg

I went relatively high but Center said there will be interruptions in radio communication and radar services. And there were blank spots so whoever go that way go higher then 7.5K.

Newport State Airport in Vermont I am sure there are at least two RVs.

leg23.jpg

Then was beautiful New Hampshire nice a quiet. Nobody on the radio too.

leg24.jpg

Radar contact appeared when I don't need it the Rangley Lake airport was in sight. Have a question - what if there is an invasion from the north? How will we detect it there is no radar coverage along the border?

CJ own a nice little house somewhere here. I circled to find it but no joy. Later I learned that he missed me only by an hour. Jeeps are slow, get that RV done!

leg28.jpg

It's very beautiful there I didn't take any pictures because the winds were shearing like crazy in all directions. I was fat on fuel and decided if I could not put it down from second attempt I proceed home.

leg29.jpg

Last edited:
On final wind stabilized and landing was smooth.

leg27.jpg

Rangley Lake is located in a picturesque recreational area but there is nobody there on weekends. I heard some funny stories about this place I know at least one guy on VAF who has something to share ;) Maybe he is reading this.

I parked RV according to the lines on the ramp then reparked. The wind was so stiff I can not lock my rudder with that PVC thingy I made the other day. This is how I chocked good Bravo Kilo. It looked funny but it was really short stop.

leg26.jpg

Rest room was not that far. There was an object under construction nearby but it didn't look like a radar foundation.

facility.jpg

All right spy work half done, time to go.

departingRangley.jpg

Recoinassance mission coded "Hunt for Red Lobstah" is over see you next time CJ.

Last edited:
I climbed to my favorite altitude and enjoyed the view of cold Yankee MOA.

leg31.jpg

leg33.jpg

Boston said there is glider activity somewhere here but I couldn't pick anybody in the air.

leg35.jpg

leg34.jpg

If my grandfather was alive he would be pleased to see this screen shot. Guess why?

leg3-2.jpg

Two hours later I was home. Visibility million by million, a pop up tfr, big boeings and aerobuses rule the sky, controllers sharp and talking fast. I need instrument rating, otto and dynon.

leg36.jpg

Tony, Get my number from Vlad and text me when you guys will be around. Perhaps we will drop in on you someday in Bill's -6 or Rich's -7?

Vlad, I got some Rangeley stories! hahaha Some of them I could even mention in mixed company! ;)

When I was doing my SES license I asked my instructor what it was like being a young, single man in stRangeley. He said, "The odds are good, but the goods are odd!"

The place is absolutely an outdoors-man's paradise! My place is 1/2 a mile from the airport, across the street from the lake and on the snowmobile trail.

You really do feel like you are away from it all when you are up there!

BTW, if anyone wants to do a really simple lobstah run, go to Sanford, Maine. Walk outside the gate and go to the gas station. They have lobstah meat rollups on wheat for something like $5.95. It hits the spot and rubs off some!

;) CJ

CJ, wish i knew the lobstah info a few weeks ago. missed out. too bad. love that stuff.

back in FL.

Here's a Rangley story, a couple days after i got my instrument rating years ago i filed IFR to Rangley to build commercial time not expecting any clouds.

By the time i get to Maine solid IMC and had to shoot an NDB approach into Rangley (+which i had never done in training), cant remember exact numbers or maybe my nerves at the time are exaggerating but it was close to minimums on the circling approach.

after i landing i tried boston on the radio to cancel IFR, no reply. tried my cell phone, no service, looked around the airport couldnt find a soul or a phone so i started to walk down the road to town.

half way down the road a cop pulls up and says "are you ryan vinton?", being 350 miles from home i wasn't sure if i was dreaming or should turn and run.

he said "boston center is looking for you, don't worry it happens once a week" and gave me a ride to town.

ill never forget that place, and yes Vlad your photos remind me of how beautiful it is up there. maybe a dream for retirement.

Ryan, Welcome to Strangeley!

Hahaha that story doesn't phase me at all! The place is a trip in many ways!

If you ever are making a return trip, let me know. Perhaps I will be up there?

If not, my cabin is for rent and you can book it online.

PM me for the link if you are interested.

:) CJ

Back