What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREPs from OSH'10

We're excited to be at Oshkosh! Jamie Luster presented on ADS-B this morning and we're getting settled into our booth!

You can find us at Booth#2157, Hangar B. Stop on by, we'd love to see you! We're also giving away an iPad

Monday Update #2

Parking conditions are rapidly improving...another sunny day at OSH!

Excerpt from the official blogspot:

"This report was posted Monday, July 26th at 5:40 PM CDT.
The next update is planned for 9 PM today.

Field Status

Wittman Regional Airport (OSH) was open to all categories of aircraft before closing for the daily airshow. General Aviation Camping and Parking areas are expected to be open for single-engine aircraft only after the airshow and to stay open for as long as the available parking and camping spaces allow. Showplane areas are expected to remain open for the remainder of the day.

Fond du Lac (FLD) is is open for camping and parking aircraft.

Appleton (ATW) is accepting parking aircraft; camping is not allowed at Appleton.

Aircraft seeking camping or parking are also being accepted at Manitowoc (MTW) and at West Bend (ETB). "

Y'all come on in!

6:30 pm update: a steady stream of planes landing - looks like a regular Osh evening landing flow now!
Mike

Last edited:
Pics from Monday

http://picasaweb.google.com/VansAirForce/OSH10_Monday

Lots of people got in today, and it's good to see friends I don't see enough. The -8/8A gathering was today in the Theater in the Woods - I'd say 30 people showed. Good times. We stuck around there in the shade and watched most of the airshow from there.

Back for a shower, meal and Spotted Cow. Feet sore :).

Wish you were here,

d

you guys are killing me.....

enjoy every minute. spent 3 hrs up going in circles with a buddy in his motor glider.

doug, nice res on the photos. how many mega pix? [ed. 12 megapix, Ed. dr]

turboedstemme2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Proof!

Cookies are safe, although half were already devoured during our trip through the grounds last night. I'll be packing today until they find their final demise. Hopefully the rest will arrive today by air RV.

Tanya

Yep. The cookies arrived, and it wasn't just VAF pilots who craved them!

IMG00010-20100726-1532.jpg

Tuesday Update #1

Nuthin' but dew last night! From the blogsite:

"This report was posted Monday, July 26th at 8:45 PM CDT.
The next update is planned for 8 AM on Tuesday.

Field Status

Heavy rains earlier in the week have made unusable many of the General Aviation Aircraft areas at Oshkosh Wittman Regional Airport normally used for aircraft parking and camping. Crews will be working at daybreak on Tuesday to determine which areas have dried out sufficiently to be safe for aircraft operatons. Showplane areas at Oshkosh are also affected, but temporary space has been found for anticipated showplane arrivals.

Appleton (ATW) is accepting parking aircraft; camping is not allowed at Appleton.

Aircraft seeking camping or parking are also being accepted at Manitowoc (MTW) and at West Bend (ETB). "

Good luck and hope to see you here!
Mike

P.S. Thanks for the cookies!

Last edited:
Had a blast

Well I'm on my way back to Texas. Had a blast at osh and my feet are screaming for some relief. Lots of great looking RV's. Sure does provide some great motivation to get this project done!

Next year I got to stay a little longer

Tuesday Update #2

Great weather

This report was posted Tuesday, July 27th at 9 AM CDT.
The next update is planned for Noon today.

Field Status

Modified taxi procedures will be used this morning to provide access to General Aviation Camping areas. As always, pilots should use extra caution whenever taxiing off of paved surfaces.

Showplane areas at Oshkosh are also affected, but temporary space has been found for anticipated showplane arrivals.

Aircraft seeking aircraft camping or parking are also being accepted at Manitowoc (MTW), West Bend (ETB), Stevens Point (STE), Watertown (RYV), and Dodge County (UNU). "

Lots of planes coming in today!

UPDATE at 1:15 pm...MUGS ARE IN!!! COME AND GET THEM!

Last edited:
Best Osh yet!

I didn't get any cookies or get to meet any of the VAF superstars but I did get something I've been trying to get for the thirteen years I've been building my 6A. I got myself a great big "RV GRIN" complements of Mike Seager. :D
These planes are awesome!

Wednesday Post #1

A bit of rain last night, but not enough to slow things up...

Free donuts, coffee and juice this morning at Homebuilder HQ from 7:30 to 9 am

This report was posted Wednesday, July 28th at 7:45 AM CDT.
The next update is planned for 10 AM today.

From the blogspot:
"Field Status

Overnight rains have not been as heavy as anticipated. However, numerous spots of soft ground are still interspersed among solid areas in the General Aviation Camping and Parking areas. Crews continue to survey the grounds to locate areas that are safe for aircraft parking and that are also accessable from Oshkosh runways. Special metal matting has been placed in critical soft spots on the turf taxiways.

Modified taxi procedures are being used to provide access to General Aviation Camping areas. As always, pilots should use extra caution whenever taxiing off of paved surfaces.

Showplane areas at Oshkosh are also affected, but temporary space has been found for anticipated showplane arrivals.

Aircraft seeking aircraft camping or parking are also being accepted at Manitowoc (MTW), West Bend (ETB), Stevens Point (STE), Watertown (RYV), Portage (C47), and Dodge County (UNU). "

See you here!
Mike

It blew and rained like the dickens last night at Fond du Lac, several aircraft headed out this morning before the tower opened, we're going to spend another day at OSH and head back home tomorrow, weather permitting.
I'll have to wait a few months to donate blood after losing several pints last night to mosquitos while waiting for the bus back to Fond du Lac...you know its bad when the group of Brazilians from the interior of Brazil say they have never seen so many or more aggressive mosquitos!
It has been a great OSH!

Wednesday Update #2

Traffic coming in...partly cloudy and the grounds are drying up (again)!

From the blogspot:
"Aircraft Parking Status

This report was posted Wednesday, July 28th at 11:25 AM CDT.
The next update is planned for 4 PM today.

Field Status

Overnight rains were not as heavy as anticipated. However, numerous spots of soft ground are still interspersed among solid areas in the General Aviation Camping and Parking areas. Crews continue to survey the grounds to locate areas that are safe for aircraft parking and that are also accessable from Oshkosh runways. Special metal matting has been placed in critical soft spots on the turf taxiways.

Modified taxi procedures are being used to provide access to General Aviation Camping areas. As always, pilots should use extra caution whenever taxiing off of paved surfaces.

Aircraft seeking aircraft camping or parking are also being accepted at Manitowoc (MTW), West Bend (ETB), Stevens Point (STE), Watertown (RYV), Portage (C47), and Dodge County (UNU). "

See you here!
Mike

'10 Oshkosh is just about done for us. It has been another grand adventure. We thoroughly enjoyed talking to everyone. We saw some interesting things, and continue to learn about vendors and our aviation hobby. We are planning on launching in the morning to Dayton Ohio to check out the AF museum for a day or so before heading back home on Saturday. My feet and legs are on fire. Super woman (Tanya) is even a little sore. Good times. I can't wait to get back to the shop to work on the -8. Well be back next year.

This morning I got to wipe the rainwater off Doug's RV-6 with a shamwow. Now who can top that experience? ;)

mcb

100 photos....bravo Doug!

So what is that little thing on the cowl in photo #53?

[ed. TV camera was my thought. dr]

ShamPows

This morning I got to wipe the rainwater off Doug's RV-6 with a shamwow. ;)

Those of us who are fans of iCarly call them ShamPows! Hilarious show. They have a lot of fun with brand names. They don't google stuff, they zap-look it. On laptop computers with pear logos. They make calls on a pear phone.

Hans

Well, I am back home in Georgia. Had a great time, thanks for the pics Doug, and Hi again to all you RV-8 folks I met, especially Matt Segfredo from Australia.

Keep those pictures coming!!

'10 Oshkosh is just about done for us. It has been another grand adventure. We thoroughly enjoyed talking to everyone. We saw some interesting things, and continue to learn about vendors and our aviation hobby. We are planning on launching in the morning to Dayton Ohio to check out the AF museum for a day or so before heading back home on Saturday. My feet and legs are on fire. Super woman (Tanya) is even a little sore. Good times. I can't wait to get back to the shop to work on the -8. Well be back next year.

I'm almost back to the SF bay area. It was good meeting you and Tanya in person. It was also great to meet the other VAF heads I ran into!

Camera?

100 photos....bravo Doug!

So what is that little thing on the cowl in photo #53?

Dan, my first impression was that it is a video camera to help with taxi-ing.

My question is what is Doug showing us in photos of the Harmon Rocket in photos 72 and 73? There's a little hinged black plate with 5 holes in it that swings through 90 degrees.

[ed. Hinged rear rudder pedals. They fold out of the way if the backseater doesn't need them. dr]

My question is what is Doug showing us in photos of the Harmon Rocket in photos 72 and 73? There's a little hinged black plate with 5 holes in it that swings through 90 degrees.

I also looked at those for a while trying to figure out what they were for. The only thing I came up with is perhaps they are rudder pedals for the back seater, but ......?????

EDIT: I went back for a second look and am convinced they are rudder pedals. The standard build has rear passenger rudder pedals there attached to the floor with piano hinge, and this places the pedals in the same location but with a neat mod to keep them out of the way when not in use. I can see how I could do exactly that on my F1.

Last edited:
Foot rest?

How about just footrests?

Tom, I believe you are right...it must be a footrest. It could be a rudder pedal, but the carpet slit doesn't seem to "fit" for the suggestion of a rudder pedal. I didn't realize this was Rick Gray's Rocket when I posted the previous post. Wow, what an airplane! No wonder Doug took so many photos of N251RG.

EDIT: Okay so now I think it's a rudder pedal. Will the real Rick Gray sign in and help us "non-Airventurers?"

Last edited:
Late arrival

I'm flying up tomorrow from Louisiana. Better late than never I guess.
I'll return home on Sunday.

Last Friday I made my planned overnite stop in Paris, IL to see relatives.
Then Saturday morning awoke to all the news of flooding and Osh being shutdown from time to time. And a pretty nasty radar picture up by Chicago, so I went home.

Anyone else flying up for the last few days?

Mark

Come on up Mark. The grounds have dried out pretty well and there is plenty of parking available amongst the other RVs.

I can't believe how far we've come in a week.

Thanks Kevin

I'm almost back to the SF bay area. It was good meeting you and Tanya in person. It was also great to meet the other VAF heads I ran into!

Thanks for the conversation and air show refreshments as advertised. Fly safe.

Great Photos

Great job with the pictures this year Doug. You really captured the feeling of being there without the heat and humidity.:)
Tried to find you there but no joy. Maybe next year. The photo of "Scorch" alone in front of that cloud would make a outstanding calendar backdrop. Just a suggestion.:rolleyes:

First Osh.

Hi guys and gals. Haven't been posting much here in a while mostly because I really don't feel like I have anything to contribute to the community. (No RV, Not currently building an RV.) :(

This was my first trip ever to Airventure, and I loved it. :D HERE is the link to my pictures. Saw Louise Hose but didn't get a chance to speak with her. Met Doug Reeves and Gus from Vans which was pretty cool. Look forward to coming back to OSH in the future.

247TD on it's way.

Work and family commitments kept me away most of the week but should be in to Oshkosh Friday after the airshow. Will mingle with the masses Saturday and head back to TX on Sunday am.

Been a good week for flying. Ft Worth to Mason City Wednesday 4.4 hrs non stop with a nice little tailwind, down to Rochelle, IL Thursday with bigger tailwinds.

I thought Scorch was way out ahead of you guys Doug - what did he do - lie in wait around a cumulus and bounce you?!

Two more airplanes, and he can demonstrate the Polish Diamond Break....;)

This evening we had a small gathering in Sleepy Hollow with a few RV'ers - definitely worth getting back to Appleton late - thanks Bob, Don, and Marshall.

Since Louise and I are here to the end, we look forward to those coming up late!

Paul

Had to head out from OSH today to ensure I made it home to spell the wife for the weekend. Spent just over 11 hours in the seat from OSH to the Seattle area, while smashing hundreds of bugs across the great northern tier! Too tired to type, but it was another great year, surprisingly so with the interesting start to the week!

Sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you, Paul. I also regret no being able to speak with Louise, even though I saw her. Maybe next year, huh?

F-15's Arriving At OSH

Folks,
I'm heading up to OSH today, any recommendations on where to camp? The four of us are bringing tents and sleeping bags, heard its still pretty wet out there. Thoughts, suggestions? Two of us are RV Owners/Builders. Both RV-7's, one is complete. I'm still on my fuel tanks. Stop by i'd love to chat.

Cheers,
Glenn.

Flash?

OK, Doug, it appears you caught a ride home in someone's RV while leaving Flash at OSH. So who's bringing Flash home? Or have you decided to donate her to the EAA Museum? Just joking, but curious minds want to know. :confused:

Doug had posted in another Thread that he is flying back Commercially to pick it up in a few days as Garmin was Keeping it outside their tent until Sunday at 5pm.

OK, I suspected it had something to do with him leaving Flash at Garmin's tent. Thanks for the reply.

OK, I suspected it had something to do with him leaving Flash at Garmin's tent. Thanks for the reply.

We figure it's safe for Doug to fly Flash home to Texas ALONE next week.....after all, he's got five GPS's. Nevertheless, we suggested that if the sign at his fuel stop says "Nova Scotia", he should call for help....:D:p

.....after all, he's got five GPS's.

Ya' know, as I was watching Doug and Monk tear Flash apart and put it back together, I was thinking "Doesn't that give him about 5 GPSs"? I believe in redundancy, but geez! Didn't want to say anything, as his spare parts tend to find their way to my panel ;):eek::D

Joe

Yup, the pics are from my F1 Rocket and they are my one of kind rear seat rudder pedals. They actually have little spring loaded ball plungers in them that allow them to 'snap' in place in the open and closed positions. The forward and aft cables are attached to the pedals behind the panel. Who needs rudder pedals sticking out when they aren't being used? I wish I has a nickel for every time I was asked about them!

I'm still at Oshkosh with my 15 yr. old daughter Lauren. Planes were leaving all day but there is still a lot going on. We got here on Sunday and plan to leave for Ohio around Sunday.

Tom, I believe you are right...it must be a footrest. It could be a rudder pedal, but the carpet slit doesn't seem to "fit" for the suggestion of a rudder pedal. I didn't realize this was Rick Gray's Rocket when I posted the previous post. Wow, what an airplane! No wonder Doug took so many photos of N251RG.

EDIT: Okay so now I think it's a rudder pedal. Will the real Rick Gray sign in and help us "non-Airventurers?"

Pretty high

What is the crash percentage on that thing anyway?

Since nearly everyone flies it until it crashes, I'd estimate that about 95%-99% of the folks who try the Wright Flyer do crash. Of course, if you are content to only fly as far as the Wright boys in December of 1903, many would land successfully.

A fellow from the EAA museum, who was involved with developing the simulator, told me that no one initially succeeded in flying it so they had to "dumb it down" to allow at least some flight. It's still very tough. That said, I've seen a hand full of people figure out how to sustain flight, including RV notables Mike Seager and Gus Funnell. Another outstanding aviator was Dixie:

IMG_4196.JPG

Back