What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Is The Best!

Geico266

Well Known Member
I am pretty rough on my 496, I use it almost every day. I have it mounted on the dash of my vehicle when I'm not flying and I use the weather all the time. The XM weather hockey puck wire (near the plug) broke from flexing too much Garmin replaced it for free! That is a $500 part! Clearly, this is not a warranty issue and I told the guy it was totally my fault as I think it fell off the dash 3-4 times and bumped the wire. I just wanted it repaired, but they replaced it! FREE!

Garmin Is The Best!

Last edited:
You got lucky

My 430 dropped a duece 1 month out of warranty. The comm portion failed. It cost me $700 base fee to get it fixed. That is roughly 16% of what I paid for it.

I was not happy. You seriously got lucky.

I had a Nuvi Groundbound GPS that was well out of warranntee when it stopped working (magically at 12:00:00 AM on first day of the year).

Garmin replaced it free.

496 Screen replacement

My 496 got a scratched screen from dropping off a glare shield while using it w/o a mount on a temporary basis. Garmin wants $400 even though the unit is jst about 1 yr old.

Garmin-change of heart

I agree that technically Garmin did not breach it's warranty but, in the last few years I have bought two 430's, a 396, and a 496, as well as a Nuvi. Sometimes a company should give a little extra care to it's repeat customers.

I called them again, based on the post above and told them about it. They cut the cost in half (to $200), although they will send me a refurbished unit rather than the one I am using. I'm happy.

Thanks

Duece= number 2, ie crapped itself. All the stuff inside came outside. Bad doo doo.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I made an assumption that most dudes would know what that meant. Humor is not always universal.

Yeah Thanks!!!

I was hoping it was something like that!!!

I can rest easy now!! :D

Deal Fair
RV-4 (N34CB)
George West, TX (8T6)

No show at the EAA569 picnic

Larry,

Is that why you didn't make it to the EAA 569 picnic Sat night ? Your Garmin was down and you didn't know how to get to NE40? :D

We had a good turnout. A few flyins. Dennis gave a nice recap on Oshkosh 2008. Your RV-10 was in his slide show.

Doug
RV-7
Wings

Back