What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empenage 10-19

BOHICA

Well Known Member
In section 10 pg 19 riveting on the side skins for the aft fuse. Instructions say to rivet F-01409 Bulkhead. There is no F-01409 bulkhead. Which makes me wonder did they mean to say the F-01418BL/R Longerons? They do show rivets for the Longeron but don't mention to rivet the Longeron.

Bulkheads.jpg

It's an error in the plans, F-10409 doesn't get installed until Page 10-27.

(Good reason to reach out to Peter Fata to join the RV-14 Plans Wiki)

Found the Wiki on the F01409. Does not answer the question on whether to rivet F-01418BL/R Longerons. Reading ahead in the chapter has not made it clear either.

Found the Wiki on the F01409. Does not answer the question on whether to rivet F-01418BL/R Longerons. Reading ahead in the chapter has not made it clear either.

It says "Rivet ONLY the holes called out in Figure 1 & Figure 2. Use tape to cover the unused holes to prevent inadvertent riveting."

Looking at the figure that includes some but not all of the holes over the longeron. IIRC the ones called out on page 10-19 don't interfere with the top skins. It's been a while.

Best pic I could find of side skins riveted before top skins put in place. You can see that the lower row of rivets into the longeron (as marked on page 10-19) are riveted (the little triangles indicated for 3-3.5 rivets and the other symbol for 3-4 are over most but not all of the lower row of longeron holes only) but the upper row are all still open and get riveted later.

IMG_3112-784154.JPG

Last edited:
Will try to clarify that step

No requirement to join the WIKI.

read only access is available for all. See signature.

If you have full version of Adobe acrobat and would like to make your own additions PM me.

If you see a mistake, want a change made, or comment added, just PM me and I can add or fix.

Back