What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good back up to the big screens?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
With the larger and larger Garmin/Dynon/etc. EFIS screens taking center stage, what are people using for a smaller backup PFD? Is there one that can backup the engine data too?

Backup

For day VFR? I'm not planning on installing any backup for the Dynon PFD/EIS, although the Garmin Aera portable GPS can display ground speed and GPS altitude.
Backup engine data is difficult because duplicate sensors would be required to drive a separate set of gauges or engine monitor. However, I will put in a separate oil pressure switch and red warning light on the panel, in addition to the oil pressure sensor that drives the EIS pressure display.

I am currently flying with a single glass panel (Dynon D180) and if it fails completely I am confident that I can fly and land safely by looking outside.

For day VFR?
<SNIP>
I am currently flying with a single glass panel (Dynon D180) and if it fails completely I am confident that I can fly and land safely by looking outside.
I'm with you, Paul.

I have dual 10" Dynons, but a single ADAHRS so if that rolls over, I've lost the PFD. But for Day VFR, that's perfectly acceptable. There's a surprisingly small list of required instruments for Day VFR flight! If I were to go IMC, I'd install a 2nd ADAHRS and a stand-alone battery-powered backup EFIS.

I used the GRT MiniX to back up my Horizon 10.1 screen in my RV4. It has it’s own ADAHRS, GPS with mapping, and it shows engine data on the engine page. It also has an internal backup battery as an option if you want it.

I used the GRT MiniX to back up my Horizon 10.1 screen in my RV4. It has it’s own ADAHRS, GPS with mapping, and it shows engine data on the engine page. It also has an internal backup battery as an option if you want it.

My 10-friend has this matched with 2 Garmin G3X large touch screens. It is a fully functional EFIS with small format.

Personally, today, I would choose the G5 for integration, but don't know it is any better.

Not that anyone asked . . . but working with Aerotronics (Jason), SteinAir (Stein), or Walt on your planning purchase and guidance is well worth what ever they charge. They will be current on offerings and what is coming. Discounts too.

I have had a G5 fail in flight. My D3 has never failed and it will keep working in the event of pitot and static blockage.

Backup Instrument Plan

With the larger and larger Garmin/Dynon/etc. EFIS screens taking center stage, what are people using for a smaller backup PFD? Is there one that can backup the engine data too?

I also have GRT glass. As Mike indicates, for engine instruments, the EIS screens would remain operative IF the failure was in the PFD. Frankly however, if the glass panels (or supporting info source, e.g. ADAHRS) give up the ghost, FHTs (forehead temps, as I start to sweat profusely), are a bigger concern than CHTs.

Nothing at all against having a G5 (or similar instrument from another manufacturer) as a backup. However, if the failure mode is some sort of large voltage surge or similar, all of the glass, and anything else connected to the ship's electrical system, could be lost. In part for that reason, my backup of last resort is an iPad linked to a stratux box. Both of those are running on batteries--either internal (iPad) or a power pack (stratux), so if the glass is cooked and the electrical system needs to be shutdown--not unlikely depending on the cause of the glass failure--I have something completely independent. Granted "airspeed" is really groundspeed, "heading" is really track, and "altitude" is GPS-derived. However, I've flown a few practice approaches with the iPad in split-screen mode--with a pseudo PFD on one half, and a chart or geo-referenced IAP on the other. A little crude, but in a pinch it should work. I've added a gyro reset for the stratux to my cruise checklist--it's usually fine anyway, but better to be certain. Mounting the iPad such that minimal head motion is needed to reference it is critical if flying in IMC. In terms of cost, given that most are flying with an iPad anyway, ~$200 for a stratux and battery is pretty low on the AMU scale.

Of course if the AF were jamming the GPS signal (again!...) when the failures occurred, I'd still be in trouble, but there are only so many coincident failures I can plan for. :)

Back