What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

well it happened

nacoblio

Moved to the Tacoma area this month. After we got settled we decided to make the pilgrimage down to the RV plant and check things out. I had planned on maybe getting the practice kit and preview plans at best. After my wife and I got to go for a flight we ended up with a RV7 emp with electric trim and a practice tool box. For anyone who is on the fence about this and can get to their shop in Aurora Or I would good. The flight was amazing and with the 7 the first kit fits easily into a car.
8MID9wx5MGsLGRoBE7uDPOm8T1yeecYJRNGCulpr1MWu3v0b_wBhntZaPq9Zsg2Glm-qrYvGIlwNMEykaoADT11iFVX1G7cgVmaXVlqLczZphe592Tm8Mkl_lz3tiOy2S3E5T56PqwQqoFrO-7kJxB3RgfXMG0C2dQFPGOeFYVCYxseA-HUhRY9T6F48kfegXu7yfPeN-pp5rcQ5SGrd-aecZsoKniVYWgaJmw3QC4utHr254emGyVBtT31VXZUzgMnpT_oEQ83VyL111-0oxiMbVi9utKjxwzTu7iUnsEpPXMGCF5fsJDCSj9E4r47I4i0DRsJAVe4x31X2emHqtAlsNgYrd6nMaZhczSmEeozgmrdeVFH4mWYP8wCqDmMHCKAyK3zm0dlrpETXdZwdLqpIkBJtPB5fvekjGmRVVD3iuyp5N7CvsRwMAcmauDMDGtq0xg7bY6RizmdELiwZ5WOgyGbINjrGB4LQBJGoB0sH2DHukDUbYlG4tuLkyAn6KNrFYcg1RumX32wLSJMOe_wbzPIWl2f2sfsVGkoR2H21gSw7bEflWGT0gTISrgeCjGO8rwQaPFUolP3OPnjQxP6UVDKftzQ=w300-h200-no

So now that we have taken the plunge I am looking for recommendations on tools. We had not planned to pull the trigger so soon on this so I imagine it will be a week or two before we can really start working. I plan to spend this weekend getting my garage set up so that part should be taken care of. The information that I could really use some advice on would be tools. There are so many options out there from all the different companies. For the rivet gun I am looking at a kit from browns that seems to have everything I would need. http://www.browntool.com/Default.aspx?tabid=344&CategoryID=36&Level=a
there are some upgrades in the 777 kit vs the 73. Are the extra parts worth the investment? is this a product worth getting?
Dimple die and dimpling
We are going to be using the DRDt2 dimpler. I do have a question about the dies. The dies from cleveland seem to be twice as expensive as the ones from aircraft spruce. us there a good reason for this? Are they worth the extra investment? Are there any dimple die that we need other than the ones from the vans web page. 3/32" Rivet Dimple Die ** 1/8" Rivet Dimple Die #8 ScrewDimple Die? Any you wish you had but didnt or had but didnt need?
any further advice you might have for a brand new guy would be appreciated. Thanks
Nick

Last edited:
Congratulations! Tail kit is the most memorable part of the airplane. Enjoy your build. Yes and yes on Cleveland dimple dies. :)

Cleaveland dimple dies are probably worth the cost. I've stopped buying from anyone else because they're so easy to deal with. I spent days agonizing over tool kits and wound up with Cleaveland for that, too.

While you're waiting for tools, do the inventory. It takes longer than you think it will and it's absolutely no fun. Best to do it thoroughly before you have new tools to distract you!

I would suggest you buy a complete RV tool kit as it's cheaper in the long run and you will use all of the tools in the kit eventually and having the tool already when you need it will save lots of time. Several companies sell them and there are lots of posts here on VAF about them. I agree with the DRDT2 choice, I love mine and there are plenty of dimples to be made.

Dimple Dies

I don't know if Cleaveland gets the dies from Avery now, or makes their own, but the additional cost of good steel and heat treatment is worth the price. You don't want to get battered dies part way through the build.

I made a few of my own and they start out pretty but deteriorate rapidly. Good for the few specialty locations where needed.

FYI - you can access much of the Avery site using the Way Back Machine.

Probably two of my most used tools were the pneumatic rivet squeezer ( many diverse opinions on this) and a tungsten bucking bar.

As you go along, you'll discover many specialty tools that make a specific job so much easier. These tools can always be resold on VAF or, like me, you'll hold on to them because they're just so neat.

Welcome to the club! You have started a journey well worth traveling. Be patient, read the plans, then read them again. :D

Don't forget to post lots of pictures. It appears you already have that part figured out.

Congratulations

Congratulations Nick
+1 on the tungsten, full set of cleveland dies, pneumatic squeezer with several yokes, adjustable set and quick change pins.
+1 on the inventory. Get organized.
Set up your documentation method.
Build a couple EAA work benches.

Welcome

I second Larry's comments above. Good choice on the DRDT-2 Dimpler. You won't regret it or the pneumatic squeezer. The "Complete" tool kits are, in my opinion, a good way to go. You will find yourself adding to whatever tools you buy, sometimes out of necessity and sometimes out of preference. Good luck!

I just finished my -7 empennage kit. Bought my tools from Cleaveland, and I strongly recommend them. Outstanding customer service!!

Tools

You will never have enough!

I started with an Avery kit and it was a dimpler, and bucking bars etc. Some tools can be found on ebay and here on VAF.

Essential was a tungsten bucking bar, band saw, emery wheel, die grinder or two, a really good compressor say about 3 horse and capable of 9 to 10 CFM at 90 psi.

I could go on and did as i near completion i bet i have over two thousand dollars worth of tools. When complete they will appear here for sale.

Good luck and enjoy the build.

Brown has prices that are hard to beat. Bought their RV kit with no regrets. Of course I also have many other tools from Avery, Cleveland, Aircraft Spruce, even Stein when you get to the electrical wiring. When it came time to buy tools it did not hurt that Brown is just a few miles down the road from me. Kind of like you guys up in Oregon with Van's. Early on in my build I would just go over to Brown's on my lunch break and browse their warehouse. It was nice to get a tool quickly when needed.

The best advice I can give is: "don't skimp on cheap tools. Buy the best you can afford and if you can afford the best, buy it!"

Get your order in on that RV tool kit so you can get started. The sooner you do the sooner you will fly!

Cleaveland tools all the way. They have lists of everything you need, call them up and they'll set you up. High quality tools. Get ready to spend some money, don't go cheap. Remember you're building something you and a friend or loved one will be FLYING in. Good tools build better planes. I've always dealt with Cleaveland, great service, great quality, passionate company (they are involved). My recommendations:
Pneumatic cleco tool
NO DRDT simpler-go C-frame-makes nicer dimples
Hand squeezer with deep yoke, short yoke and C-shape yoke
Tungsten bucking bar-only thing I ever bucked rivets with
The rest is the usually recommended stuff
Good luck!

Nick,

I agree with much of what has been said already here. Truth is, there are a lot of good tool vendors out there. I've bought from a number of them and haven't gone wrong. I do agree with the Cleveland dimple dies. They're "spring back" dies and do an excellent job. Worth the money. I used a DRDT, too, but you have to make sure to adjust it to deliver enough force to really do a proper dimple. I had mine under-set at first. Under-dimpling is one of the biggest errors with new builders. You end up with big "craters" or depressions around each dimple. They should be perfectly flat. My first tech counselor set me straight; "beat that aluminum into submission", he told me. I adjusted the DRDT and hit each dimple twice with it from then on.

+1 on a band saw, too. You'll use it more than you ever thought you might. But you don't need an expensive one. Mine is a cheap model, but I got a good fine-tooth blade for it. I bought some very good tools on eBay, used, at very good prices. And I have no regrets. Saved a lot of money. Be sure to get Vans practice kits and work on them before you start on actual empennage parts. One is the toolbox kit. I'm still proud of my toolbox from years ago. The first tool I ever bought was my pneumatic rivet squeezer from Avery. They had a rare sale and I got it at a good price. To this day, it's my favorite tool and I still don't own a hand squeezer.

When you come back down to Vans, look me up and come visit me, okay? I live close to Vans and my 7A is nearing completion. I would welcome a visit. Also feel free to check out my website: http://www.BrucesRV7A.com

Happy building!

Congrats and Happy Build

Congrats. What a thrill yea!. Glad to hear your spouse is into it.
I'm in Anacortes, WA. My 7A Tip-up in going together in the garage.
Just ordered engine. Kits all complete. Even painted. Just engine and avionics to go. My build log is at www.mykitlog.com/sglynn

Oh, if you don't want to waste a lot of time on a construction log the MyKitLog.com is a great solution. Cheap and easy to use.

Have Fun

PS I bought Avery Tool kit and love it.

Back