What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

jwheeler313

I was diagnosed with Stage IV Grade 2 Follicular Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma last May. I have been undergoing chemo and am responding well. After my 3rd treatment, a follow-up PET scan shows no cancer. I just had my 4th treatment and have 2 more to go.

I am expecting to start my special issuance medical process around the first of November. If anyone here has gone through this process before, especially with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, would you mind telling me the process?

I fly helicopters for a living and usually get a 1st class medical.

Thank you.

I would suggest you talk to AOPA.

They have a really good dept that deals with medical issues to keep pilots flying.

I would suggest you talk to AOPA.

They have a really good dept that deals with medical issues to keep pilots flying.

I second that, you also may want to get a consult with Dr. Krass he's in with the okc folks and does a lot of SI's.

good luck and keep fighting

bob burns
N82RB RV-4

Mr. Wheeler,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad to hear the treatments are progressing.

FWIW, I'm not a doctor (or a medical professional in any way), but I've sort-of been in your position and have learned more medical stuff than I ever cared to know. I'm currently 57 but in July of 2008 I had quadruple bypass surgery, then in April 2013 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 tounge/throat cancer. While I never relied on flying as a primary source of income, I am a CFII and keep it current in order to possibly teach again when I retire. I follow this forum in hopes of one day building my own plane. Without knowing the specifics of your medical situation, I'll just tell you about my experience and hopefully you'll get some good use out of it.

Bottom line is that in both of my situations (cardiac and cancer) I was able to get my special issuance back from the FAA in what I thought was a reasonable amount of time following reasonable requirements. I'm currently flying with a 3rd class without any restrictions (other than having to wear glasses, but I've had that one since 4th grade!).

Retaining your 1st class medical could be more involved but that will depend on your your recovery and whatever side effects you may have following treatment. For comparison, I have to have a stress-echo test annually for my cardiac issues and supply all results to the FAA for my annual medical (yes annual, even with the 3rd class). Cardiac testing would be more involved if I wanted to maintain a 2nd class or better but a 3rd class meets my purposes.

Regarding the cancer, all the FAA requires is a status report from all attending physicians and their prognosis submitted with my annual FAA medical. And details of any possibly limiting side-effect issues. Since you're only having chemo (not trying to minimize the chemo issues by saying "only", it all sucks), you don't have to be concerned with issues from surgery of radiation. For comparison, I had 3 chemo and 35 radiation treatments (no surgery). My permanent side effects from chemo are tingling and intermittent numbness of the feet, especially the toe areas. My permanent side effects from radiation are lack of taste (especially sweets) and significant dry mouth (most of the salivary glands got fried). The good news is that, while inconvenient and sometimes more annoying than others, all the issues can be lived with (and worked around) and, most importantly, are not problems as far as the FAA is concerned.

The best advice I can give regarding dealing with the FAA and your medical is:
1) Have an AME who is willing (and preferably experienced) to deal with the FAA on more complicated cases like yours. There will be more paper work involved so make sure he/she knows what their doing.
2) Have your paperwork in order. The FAA medical reviewers in Ok City will only have the paperwork submitted to them to make judgement calls. Make sure you provide a record of every doctor, medical visit, and test result you've had during your treatment (and I mean every!). And provide it in a logical, easy to understand sequence. There's no formal process here, just put yourself in the reviewers shoes and think how you would want the data presented.

One final thought. Like most everyone else, I like to make insulting remarks about government processes as much as anyone, but my experience with the FAA during my medical issues was very reasonable (in my opinion). Once my AME submitted my paperwork to Ok City for review, I had my 3rd class Special Issuance medical in 4 to 5 weeks.

Good luck with your recovery, and please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Steve Daudelin

I was diagnosed with Mycosis Fungoides (another NHL) in '94. I did topical chemo and radiation treatments and everything cleared up nicely. I fly for Delta, and the ALPA aeromedical office acted as liaison to the FAA for me. They compiled all my doctor reports and I think I just went to my AME for a normal first class exam. That and notes from my oncologist that stated I had no symptoms or limitations in their opinion. I was never on any medication other than the chemo and radiation which ended after about 6 months. I think if you get notes from your doc like I did, there should be no problem getting your class one back. They are VERY slow in processing these things. It will take around three months at least for them to respond to your application (in Oklahoma City). If you have any problems with them, there is a company in Atlanta that will help handle your application for a fee. I don't know what they charge. They may be able to give you additional useful guidance for your particular issue. Their website: https://www.leftseat.com/ If they aren't too expensive, it might be worth it to increase your odds of getting back to flying asap.

I'm very happy that your treatments have gone well! "My" lymphoma at the time I was diagnosed, was considered incurable - but well over 20 years later with no recurrence, I'd say that's close enough.

Good luck and God bless!

:D

Thank you everyone for responding. I am an AOPA member and have their Pilot Protection Services. I called them but I received more useful information from here than I did on the phone with AOPA.

I'm looking forward to finishing this up so I can get back to flying.

Thanks again.

I'll second Steve's advice (but not based on personal experience like his). Another forum - Pilots of America - has many who sing the praises of Dr. Bruce Chien (http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com). It may be worth your time to at least chat with someone in his office.

In reading many posts about this topic one thing that's clear is that when you have a special situation, not all AME's are created equal. Some of them specialize in situations like yours and have contacts in the FAA office in Oklahoma City. If you're flying for a living all the more reason to look for someone like that.

Sounds like you're doing well medically and of course that's the most important thing. Best wishes for you going forward!

You may want to search out a senior AME. There might be only 1 or 2 per state but these have had special training in what the FAA wants and seem to be able to do things with a telephone call that others can't.

You may want to search out a senior AME. There might be only 1 or 2 per state but these have had special training in what the FAA wants and seem to be able to do things with a telephone call that others can't.

he has one right down the road, DR. Krass I know a lot of class 1 holders that he has gotten back in the air.

bob burns
N82RB RV-4

Back